mtbr member
    Mar 2012

which size Gary Fisher 29er, 19 or 21. I am 6"1'

My inseam is maybe a 33 but im not sure, could be an inch or two either way. Anyway I am purchasing the Trek Mamba. I am a beginner and never had a bike before so when I test rode both of these, i didnt really know how they are supposed to feel. Even though the 21 inch touched when i stood over it, I could still pull the bike up about an inch before it smashed my pelvic bone. I guess turning on the 21 inch was a little rougher. The 19 gave me more clearance.

The guy at the Trek shop said these specific Trek frames are made bigger than usual, is this true?
    Is it also true that if you get a 29er you should move down a frame size than if you bought a 26?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ride them both. I'm about the same specs and didn't like the upright feel of the 19" rumblefish. I'd be too hunched over the front on climbs trying to keep the wheel down. 21" fits pretty darn good, just flipped the stem and was on the trails happy.

BTW my Hardtail is a 19" but not its a trek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I rode them both. Felt like i could control the 19 on turns better but i will be doing road riding as well. I heard it was uncomfortable and bad for your back when you're road riding if you go a size smaller.

Rides the Desert
    I am 6'1" and ride a 21" Trek Mamba. Feels great, but I like the feel of longer top tubes for a more aggresive XC geometry

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    hmm so that's 2 people for the 21". Maybe I should go test ride that 21 again

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6' 1" with a 35" inseam and ride a 19" X-Cal, feels good to me. Never tried a 21" so nothing to compare with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm 6'1" and ride a 19 trek x-cal.

Is dang happy!
    I think 29er G2 geometry might work better with a slightly smaller frame. Weighting the front wheel was a chore on my 19" and I am 5'10.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Dozer
    I'm 6'2" and rode my wife's 17.5 GF Cobia all last summer with a longer stem and seat post jacked all the way up. It actually felt pretty good. I used to have a GF Piranha (26") size 21, and I never cared for the super long top tube.
    I now have a 19" 29er and find it to be a good fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just got a GF Wahoo 17.5 and I'm 6'1 but have short legs lol.

Feels good for me though!

Rod
    mtbr member
    I am 6'0 and I ride a 19 inch giant XTC. You made it sound like you liked the 19 inch better. On a 21 inch bike I cannot use a setback post at all and I have to slide the seat pretty far forward to get my fore aft position right. Get the bike shop to fit you to the bike. It's hard to tell in a parking lot test. You could always get a little longer stem if it was needed.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i would go with the smaller one. i'm about 5 10 or so and i have the 17in i think. i'm a bit more upright than typical xc riders, but it was the first bike i got, and definitely prefer it to the taller size. my other bike is a bit bigger and more stretched out, a typical xc position really, but i still prefer being a bit more upright.

as a beginner, i would recommend you get the smaller size since it will be easier to flick around, more relaxed position, and greater stand over height to protect the jewels.

its easier to stretch a bike out if you find out its too small, as opposed to making the cockpit more campact if it is too big.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    OK all these new posts are making me lean towards the 19" again. And yeah it did seem to handle better for me on turns in the parking lot test. Felt like i had to stretch a little on the 21" on turns

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    and definitely go with what feels right to you instead of what people on a forum say. (or even people in the shop to an extent) your going to be the one riding the bike, and the best way to know what works for you is by jumping on as many bikes as you can, and picking your favorite

mtbr member
    I'm 6' even with a 33" inseam and a 19 with a 90mm stem, 11% sweep flat bar and the seat set in the center of the rails fit me perfect. At your hight you are well within the adjustment range of a 19" frame set. If it were me I'd find a Trek dealer with a knowledgeable fit personnel and facilities and see what they recommend, but thats just me.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    how do i measure my inseam and be exact about it. Ive read different things, about putting a pillow underneath to a hardback book etc.

Also just an FYI, the top tube length for the mamba 19" is 24.5 inches. Is this considered more of a longer top tube for a 19" frame?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/model...er_sport/mamba

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak View Post
    i would go with the smaller one. i'm about 5 10 or so and i have the 17in i think. i'm a bit more upright than typical xc riders, but it was the first bike i got, and definitely prefer it to the taller size. my other bike is a bit bigger and more stretched out, a typical xc position really, but i still prefer being a bit more upright.

as a beginner, i would recommend you get the smaller size since it will be easier to flick around, more relaxed position, and greater stand over height to protect the jewels.

its easier to stretch a bike out if you find out its too small, as opposed to making the cockpit more campact if it is too big.
    so going with the smaller one means more comfort? I might be doing a good bit of straight road riding as well. It would be more comfortable on those long road rides?

So upright and XC are two different positions? Im guessing upright means its better for your back and not leaned over as much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    find a hill near the LBS and try both bikes out, it doesn't have to be a paved hill either or a long one. Just enough where you have to shift your weight around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam and long arms, too. I started out on a 19.5" (L) Trek 26" bike in 2005. The bike shop said I could go either way, but after I gained some experience I realized that the L never fit me and I should be on an XL. I've now had a couple of 21" Gary Fishers and they fit me great.

All that is to say that fit is very personal and hard to judge from a few numbers. Ask the bike shop fitting you to explain why they lean towards one or the other. If they say it's mostly based on your height, be skeptical.

Some shops will have demo programs where they'll rent you a bike for a deposit that can be applied toward a purchase. If you're sure you'll buy and you like the shop, it's definitely worth it.

I now judge a bike's fit for me mostly by looking at the effective top tube length. Then I look at the seattube length only to figure out what seatpost I would need

check out these links:
    Revisionist Theory of Bicycle Sizing
    Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2005
    6,1" and ride 19" bikes, but I only have a 32" inseam.

SS Pusher Man
    What was the recomendation of the shop where you are buying this bike?

They would have a better idea.....seeing as they could actually see you on the bike.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm the same height and inseam. My bike shop def said 21. I was thinking 19, and they said no way.

But that was a HiFi. Not sure how the different bike changes it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    the HiFi one are smaller than the GF 29ers from what i read. The recommendation was both a 19 and a 21. There were 2 guys there and both seemed to not agree

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm just a little over 6', and ride a new 21" Trek. I rode the 19", but just felt too small with lots of seat post. Before I bought my Trek, I like the XL Giant and XL Scott, Cannondale was a bit in between. The 21" Specialized was huge, but the 19's felt too small.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by R900 View Post
    I'm just a little over 6', and ride a new 21" Trek. I rode the 19", but just felt too small with lots of seat post. Before I bought my Trek, I like the XL Giant and XL Scott, Cannondale was a bit in between. The 21" Specialized was huge, but the 19's felt too small.
    Which trek though? the GF 29ers have bigger measurements, top tube specifically

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    All 29'ers, Paragon, Superfly, HiFi, and one other. I ended up with the carbon Superfly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    what i meant by a xc position was more hunched over the handle bars, a lot of your weight further forward. better for going faster, but not as good on super technical, and could be considered less comfortable (i am not ultra flexible, but i don't find it uncomfortable)

a more relaxed position will have you a bit more upright, which puts you more open to the wind, maybe not as fast climbing, but more comfortable.

for road riding you definitely want to be lower and more aerodynamic, but then again a mtb will never be fast on the road, so i wouldn't let that sway your decision either way.

best way to look at it is on a spectrum from a sprint track bike type thing (super hunched over, your spine nearly pointing downwards) to a beach cruiser (spine straight or even leaned back a bit), and where in that spectrum you want to be.

if your buying from a lbs, definitely go in there and ask them some questions and ride around to see what is more comfortable. make sure they know what type of riding you like to do and plan to do with the bike, and they will be able to help you out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you can ride a few of them. I'm 6'4" and am riding a 21 Wahoo. It fell really comfortable for me I did try a 19 and it didn't quite feel right. Now a good friend of mine almost the same height just got a 19 Wahoo with a taller stem and he felt better on that then my 21. So of it is a matter of preference and what you feel comfortable riding.
    His Hers
    2014 Trek CrossRip 2015 Trek Lexa
    2012 Trek Rumblefish 2013 Sette Reken

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just bought a trek marlin 21".

I am 6'1" and spent too many years on a 19" when it should have been a 21".

This works for me and it may not work for you. The only thing that i recommend is to go your lbs thatwill size you for your bike. All the trek stores around me will let you demo any bike and size for $40 per day. If you buy a bike from them they will credit two demos to your purchase.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3". I'm not sure of my exact inseam but I wear pants labeled as a 34" inseam. I feel like my 21" Superfly and Hifi fit me great but I think they're a hair larger than perfect, so if I were 6'1" I bet I'd be happy on a 19".

Alex

mtbr member
    I'm your exact measurement. I bought a 21" rockhopper in 2010, and ended up realizing it was too big for me. It felt ok in the parking lot, but is too big on the trails. I switched stems, but it still feels awkward. My next bike will most likely be a 19" frame. I ride a mix of technical rolling single track, and flat xc-style. If the 19" ends up being too small feeling, add a setback seat post.

mtbr member
    IMO, 19 all day......you will be much happier....especially with a 29er.....I would concentrate on the stem, bar and seat setup.....you can dial it in!

RM

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If Trek frame is bigger than others, I think it is unnormal, I suggest you make a comparison with some other frame. I don`t think you have to move down a size if you buy 29er than 26er. it won`t be comfortale to ride a smaller frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    6'02" here with a 34" inseam. I am currently on a Paragon XL. It feels fine for me. Does everything I ask of it, climbs, descends and is comfortable. I was riding a 19" frame with 26" wheels before and there was too much saddle to handlebar drop. I started having neck issues from craning my head up. The 21" Paragon just feels so good!

mtbr member
    I am 6' 1" as well, and I ride a 19" Trek Rumblefish. My first bike was a 21" Specialized Hardrock, and it felt OK, up until I rode the 19" Rumblefish. For me, the more relaxed position on the 19" gave me stability and confidence. I still hop on the Specialized from time to time, and it isn't something that feels too big, just different.

I do prefer a little extra clearance over the top tube though. I don't think you will be happy if the top tube has no stand-over clearance on the 21.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Im 6'1 210 and ride a 19" trek mamba and I love it

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Usual method of measuring inseam is to take a yardstick or other hard stick and pull it up into your crotch so it is firm against the pelvic bones, then measure to the floor.
    My pants are usually 32-34 inseam but measured that way, I'm 35-36. 6' 1" in height.

All my 29ers are 19" - I don't think I'd ever ride a 21. 20 would be max. I've had bikes that were too big for me and it just doesn't work well for a bike ridden on rough trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ludiyuyu View Post
    If Trek frame is bigger than others, I think it is unnormal, I suggest you make a comparison with some other frame. I don`t think you have to move down a size if you buy 29er than 26er. it won`t be comfortale to ride a smaller frame.
    Look at the link i posted and compare it with there similar bikes in 26 inch wheels. The measurments are bigger on 29ers, epecially top tube length

mtbr member

I am 6'2"....

w//34" inseam. I try to ride the smallest frame size with the appropriate length tt I can. Typically a 19 or 20" frame with a 24-24.5" tt. Any bigger than that feels clumsy and slow to respond to me.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Usual method of measuring inseam is to take a yardstick or other hard stick and pull it up into your crotch so it is firm against the pelvic bones, then measure to the floor.
    My pants are usually 32-34 inseam but measured that way, I'm 35-36. 6' 1" in height.

All my 29ers are 19" - I don't think I'd ever ride a 21. 20 would be max. I've had bikes that were too big for me and it just doesn't work well for a bike ridden on rough trails.
    Majority says 19 and 19 did feel a bit better, even though i only rode each for a very short time. i think im going with the 19.

Also for the inseam measurement, websites say to put a book or pillow underneath the pelvic bone and then measure as to simulate a bike seat. you say to not do this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    w//34" inseam. I try to ride the smallest frame size with the appropriate length tt I can. Typically a 19 or 20" frame with a 24-24.5" tt. Any bigger than that feels clumsy and slow to respond to me.
    the 19" trek mamba has a 24.5 'effective' top tube length. is this the same as just the 'top tube length' everyone keeps posting about

Trek Bicycle

noob
    i had a 21" 4100

went with the 19" on my paragon i am 6'1
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey guys , i'm new to riding and have some questions as to sizing a Trek X Cal ,19 or 21? Im 6'2 and have a 35 inch inseam when measured,tried both and both felt good but i'm new so not sure I would notice a difference plus I was in the dealer parking lot on both. Def more seat post on the 19 inch,just looking for some advice on this matter,any info will help tremendously..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wow, 6'01" and a 35" inseam....you're all legs!
    I would opt for the 21" frame. If you go with the 19" there will be tons of seat post showing and lots of bar to saddle height difference. You can get a riser stem/bar to counteract the difference in bar/saddle height but you may experience wheel lift on steep climbs. If you go with the larger frame you can reduce the bar/saddle height and still keep the geometry of the frame fairly neutral.

That's my 0.02 cents

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    any idea on how to measure I followed the book method but i usually wear 32/34 inch pants inseam,I OCD about this stuff to a serious degree haha but the last bike I had was mid 90s Hoo Koo E Koo in green it was sweet so I want to get this right when buying the X Cal and was leaning to the 21 but there are some that say go smaller etc.... also was in a motorcycle accident and have a weak lower back, would a smaller or larger frame have any bearing on my lower back?
    Last edited by Nthest; 10-08-2012 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am 6 ft 32 inch inseam and ride a trek xcal 21... Love it. 29ers just feel big and the top tube is tall, but my geometry feels right. I got on my buddies 19 4500 the other day and omg it felt like I was bunched up like crazy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the info it was just what I was looking for ,I think I will go for the 21 over the smaller 19. When I first sat on the 29er at the the shop your right they do feel big

Quote Originally Posted by Jvader View Post
    I am 6 ft 32 inch inseam and ride a trek xcal 21... Love it. 29ers just feel big and the top tube is tall, but my geometry feels right. I got on my buddies 19 4500 the other day and omg it felt like I was bunched up like crazy.

mtbr member
    My wife is 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I am 6'0 with a 32" inseam. We both ride 2011 Hifi Deluxes. Hers is 17.5 and mine is 19. When I work on hers and raise the saddle to do test rides, it feels too small. The 19 is perfect for me. I rode a 21 and it felt huge. All my bikes have fallen on the smaller side and they have all worked great for me.

get down!
    19 for you dude! I think you'll have a hard time weighting the front wheel on a 21. I'm 6'2" on a 24.5" top tube Kona. Love it.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

5'10" and riding the 17"

I may have short legs. But I can't imagine going to a 19". My buddy who's probably a little over 6' uses my Paragon every once in a while, but we both agree he should probably go up a size. My guess, rather uneducated at best, is 19".

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm 6' with shoes...on a 19" trek x-cal....feels perfect

Members who have read this thread: 4