Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Has anybody tried using a front derailleur on this frame? There is a cable stop on the bottom of the BB shell, but it seems to be tucked too far under to keep the cable from sawing into the shell. It's also awfully hard to find a derailleur clamp shim for 30.0mm, but I can figure something out.
    Yes, a number of riders out there using front derailleurs. You can use a short length of plastic sleeve (or even better gore lined cables) to protect the bb shell from the cable. I could have put the stop further around but then it would just be a magnet for gunk being forced straight down the housing.
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

Really I am that slow

little race start photo

4 laps, 52 miles, 6:20 later...

Great times on my gryphon yesterday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-racestart.jpg  

Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Harmonius Wrench
    Hey Fixie Dave! That's pretty trick, what with the Woodchipper sticking up in the air. You could spot that Singular a mile away versus all the flat bar bikes laying in that line up.

Mine has been seeing lots of gravel road duty of late, recon duty for the next Trans Iowa event. Great bike! This thing has a lot of cush compared to a Fargo and handles really well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-xr1final-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    here is MurphyKate and her cherished ultra-lite mini-gryphon proto.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Love my Gryphon

I am curious where the swift and Gryphon headbadges came from? I have seem some bikes with them, but mine didn't come with one. Is that a special order item? Where can score one?

Right now my Gryphon is built up with a Salsa 17 deg flat bar. I have been trying to dial the fit with the Woodchippers, but can't seem to get the cockpit short enough. Med frame with 90mm 15 deg stem and it still feels too stretched out. I may have to try the 60mm 10 deg stem I have, but I am afraid the steering would be too twitchy! Only one way to find out I guess.

Overall, the Singulars are great bikes, well thought out, nice features, and great riding! Nice work Sam, and keep it up! Props to Marty for carrying them in the states!

frog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    I am curious where the swift and Gryphon headbadges came from?

IIRC the headbadges are an option. Not sure how much more, but $65 comes to mind.

I'm getting anxious to post photos of my Singular...I just need to find some time to go over and visit ~martini~ on the West Coast (of Wisconsin) and pick up my frame and fork. I'm buying the Gryphon that's second from the right in martini's photo above. Mine will look a little bit different though...2x9 with a mix of Campy and Shimano stuff. Pics to follow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    I am curious where the swift and Gryphon headbadges came from? I have seem some bikes with them, but mine didn't come with one. Is that a special order item? Where can score one?
    All Singulars come with a solid pewter headbadge as standard. I was selling silver ones separately for a while but very few people bought them as the pewter ones look virtually identical from any more than a foot away. If for some reason you missed out (there was a period when Marty had frames but I hadn't got headbadges to him) just drop me a line with your address and I'll get one over to you.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the bikes and keep the pics coming!

Sam

Witty McWitterson
    Shoot me an email with your address and I"ll get one out to you. I"ve got three left here in the shop!, and Sam's right, they do come with the frame, but the Gryphons and the badges arrived in different weeks.
    Just a regular guy.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Great customer service!

Thanks guys, can't wait to get the headbadge on!

Here is the most recent pic of my Gryphon. No action shots, cuz my camera is dead!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-100_4155.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Swift in travel mode

Very good thread!

A picture of my swift in travel mode.

geared:
    Singular photos: Post here!-singular-small.jpg

single speed:
    Singular photos: Post here!-img_2113long-small.jpg

Question : Does anyone has any problems with noise coming out of their EBB area or is it just my ears that are super sensitive to creaking noises? If so, how did you get rid of the noise?

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack
    Very good thread!

Question : Does anyone has any problems with noise coming out of their EBB area or is it just my ears that are super sensitive to creaking noises? If so, how did you get rid of the noise?

good synthetic grease has done the trick for me on ebb's I like buying it at the auto parts store vs the bike shop as its quite cheap there
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    good synthetic grease has done the trick for me on ebb's I like buying it at the auto parts store vs the bike shop as its quite cheap there
    Ok, I'll give that a go.
    By the way, hope to cross you on the divide in june! If all goes as intended, I'm going to race (or make that ride) N-S. Got 'permission' from the girlfriend to go for it.

You're taking the Singular?

Really I am that slow
    Ok, I'll give that a go.
    By the way, hope to cross you on the divide in june! If all goes as intended, I'm going to race (or make that ride) N-S. Got 'permission' from the girlfriend to go for it.

You're taking the Singular?
    I'm Having eric bar of groundup make me a Ti copy of the gryphon with track ends... 3 bottle mounts and rack mounts ect... that well be the divide rig
    Read my BLOG!

Witty McWitterson
    Ya know...a thought is to have Sam/Nevi do the same for me! Ti Gryphon, but keep the half link ebb - I've just never had an issue with them before. Why change what works for me? Funds will have to appear for this project though. maybe next year.
    Just a regular guy.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I was just trying to decide if a Peregrine would work on the TD over the Fargo I'd been contemplating...

I want something dirt capable that I can road tour on too.

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    I was just trying to decide if a Peregrine would work on the TD over the Fargo I'd been contemplating...

I want something dirt capable that I can road tour on too.
    2.1 tire min is a reconmendo from this cat for divide riding weather touring or TT'ing... peregirne is sure a sweet looking rig and marty has a few med blems as well...might be a wee to bent over depending on how the geo fits yah. I imagine a nano would fit and its just about as perfect of a divide tire as you can find

such lovely bikes Sam!
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My pegasus.. oh how I love her so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-img_1073.jpg  

Last edited by juan gear; 10-13-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Yeah, the tyre clearance is what has me concerned with the mud which is generally out there along the route in places. I appreciate the input from someone who's tried and is trying again.

I'm aware the most common steed is a HT MTB though.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I can vouch for the Pegasus as a seriously fast and comfortable long distance bike. Just waiting for the custom frame bag now...

Witty McWitterson
    nano's fit really quite well on the Peregrine. And it would indeed make a great TD bike, if you're willing to deal with a more road like position for the duration.

ylrvr-9

Toe over lap does become an issue on small's with such a big tire, but only on singletrack type stuff. I ride mine on single track and toe overlap hasn't been an issue yet [large size]. That being said it IS more of a gravel/dirt road bike than mtb.
    Just a regular guy.

I love that lefty Pegasus pedalhead, particularly as I know you want to use it the same way as I'm looking to build for. I'd love a Peregrine, but the tyre clearance just isn't there for running 2.1 and getting a slightly out of true wheel a couple of hundred miles from a LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Like any metal on metal contact, creaks can happen. The interface between the ebb insert and the shell can get dry and dirty, which causes creaks. It's very simple to remove a crankarm, back the set screws off, and slide the whole assembly out. Clean it, grease everything (a good sticky marine type grease as Dave said is ideal), put it back together torque the set screws to 5-6Nm. That's not very tight, overtightening the set screws can deform the shell and will cause creaks by concentrating the stress more directly in a specific area as well as displacing grease more quickly.

Then again, it could just be your name ;-)

CB2
    Jam Econo

Kite

First race on the Kite will be Sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just got back from a trip to see my folks in Western PA. Rode my dad's medium Lynskey Pro29 while I was there. Obviously, there are significant differences between the Lynskey and my Swift but i'm wondering about frame size. I'm 6'1, 175lbs. My Swift build is:

Large Swift
    Fox F29 RLC OEM (52offset)
    Cane Creek S3+5 Headset
    Truvativ Stylo Race 100mm stem
    Salsa ProMoto bars

I find that I have difficulty climbing on the Swift or making it up tighter switchbacks. No issues on the Lynskey. Maybe it's the slightly shorter chainstays on the Lynskey?

I'm wondering if I should pony up and get a Medium Swift. Might also try ditching the S3+5 headset for a CaneCreek 110 that I have to pull back the front wheel a bit since the OEM FOX is already pushed out.

What size are you other 6'1" folks riding?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Very good thread!

A picture of my swift in travel mode.

single speed:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2113long+small.jpg 
Views:	2679 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	573835

What size frame is that - I'm buying one but haven't had the chance to ride yet - the angles look RIGHT!

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast