Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Sam, I noticed the Gryphon on your site and posted here is blue. Is this color going to become available to the masses?

Just curious. I like it in blue.
    I thought those were drop bar Swifts...
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

ballbuster

If it makes anybody feel better...

Quote Originally Posted by Singular
    Wow - wonderful to see all these builds on one thread! Glad everyone is liking them so much. Just to answer a couple of questions.

There is a US page on the Singular website - http://www.singularcycles.com/US.html. The link in the 'Dealers' section points to Marty's old page which seems to be dead so I will fix it to point back at the page above.

The Kite project has unfortunately been pushed back due to delays with the current production run of more Swifts and Peregrines. In the end I felt it was more important to try and keep as consistent stock as possible of existing models than go introducing new stuff. There are also other considerations as to whether to give it discs now they've been legalised for UCI 'cross racing, or maybe a disc and canti version.... If you've got any thoughts please just drop me a mail.

Toe overlap is always a hard one to be 100% certain on given the variety of factors which influence it - tyre size, foot size, shoe type, cleat position, crank length, ebb position... I can say that the Gryphon (indeed all my frames) is designed to try and minimise the chance of overlap. That said, if you are on a medium with size 12 Carnacs, 185mm cranks, the ebb well forward and 2.4" tyres it may well hit.

Anyhow, as this is a photo thread here are some of my own. Recently been feeling a lot of love for the Gryphon again!

*pix*
    ... I'm 5'10" with freakishly long arms, 33" pant inseam, 11.5 US shoes (47 Sidi Doms) and ride a Large Swift with 180mm XTR cranks and a 2.3" WTB Exiwolf up front. I got no toe overlap. There is an inch and a half of clearance or so, and that is plenty.

No toe overlap here.

BTW, the bike rides great, even with a 38mm offset Reba set to 80mm. I may give 100mm a go to see what happens. The thing is like seriously buttery smooth over rocky stuff, yet not a noodlely or flexy (unlike some other major brand 29er steel bikes I've tried).

Pix from the maiden voyage on Sunday at China Camp State Park:

...and a short vid shot by my bud Sparky.

My only real complaint is that the downtube decal started chipping off already from my U-Lock when it was on my car bike rack. My U-Lock is coated with rubbery stuff too. The decal came off awfully easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    GT, the blue Gryphon is my personal bike, not intending to do it for production.

Sorry, no immediate plans to return the geared specific Swift, though you are welcome to have a geared specific Pegasus and I've done a few like that.

Strange to hear of decal chipping off, hasn't been reported to me as a problem before. Though if driving along with bike on a rack with a u-lock through it it doesn't really surprise me. If you need a replacement decal let me know, I have some vinyl ones which can just be applied over the top if you prefer.

Completely divided opinion on whether to do a disc brake version of the Kite - I should have suspected as much... Marty & Los, I kinda agree with you in terms of braking power, but I think in truly mucky conditions discs have an advantage simply because cantis are prone to collecting mud. I did a race last season which was outrageously muddy on my Peregrine in cross mode. I went past a number of folks who'd stopped just to clear out mud so their wheels could turn again. Anyhow, I'm still a little in two minds though as discs would pretty much require a complete re-design of the frame I think we'll stick with cantis, possibly with a view to doing a disc version in 2011.

Last edited by Singular; 08-27-2010 at 03:46 AM.
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thinking about it Sam, I think cantis might be better. They just look right on a crosser. Plus I want a Paul Neo Retro/Touring combo.

Harmonius Wrench
    Thanks for the reply, Sam.

I am enjoying the heck outta my Gryphon, and I do like the color. I was just curious about the blue one.

Ride On!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Here are a few pics of my Pegasus.

One of the first production runs:

--

On tour in Wales:

--

Absolutely brilliant bike to ride. So happy with in all sorts of situations

mtbr member
    Oh that looks very nice indeed! Mine's finally taking shape, though a couple of bits have been delayed until next week unfortunately :-(

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here's mine in its current build, just got a amazing deal on a set of clearance 09 F29 forks. Thinking I might have to put some gear back on it now.

Last edited by Razzer; 09-04-2010 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Finished my Pegasus build today...

Weight comes in a bit below 23.5lbs. First proper ride tomorrow, but I can already tell it's faaasst!

Did I catch a niner?
    ^^ Sweet mother!

Don't ride it, it might get dirty!

I gotta say though I think it would be even nicer if it were SS.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

ballbuster

Oh my!!

*buncha sweet pix*

Weight comes in a bit below 23.5lbs. First proper ride tomorrow, but I can already tell it's faaasst!

That is one sweet bike!

Excuse me... I have to go... take care of something.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-05-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Really I am that slow
    I'll get some more pics of my Gryphon in the next week or so... about 1500 miles covered on dirt and pavement and a real flogging in park city today.... I adore this bike!!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lock71
    great pics guys,

ive been running mine with drop bars and love it,i can ride nearly everything the same as my other bikes but i keep geeting back ache so want to try some salsa moto bars and maybe some sus forks,

just want to hear if anyone else has made the change and how it felt,
    what length stem,what forks 100/80mm
    and any reviews on flat bars.

Who's drop bars are those? Any thoughts on them? I'm in the market for some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    ^^ Sweet mother!

Don't ride it, it might get dirty!

I gotta say though I think it would be even nicer if it were SS.
    yeah I agree, singlespeeds always look nicer, but my knees won't have any of it! Off to get her dirty now....

Witty McWitterson
    An update to the Peregrine here in the shop. Put an Alfine set up on it with a JTek shifter. Works quite well, and the bike is only up two pounds to 26.5. Not too shabby, eh?

per-6
    grvl-27
    Just a regular guy.

Really I am that slow

Muti mode Gryphon

had a month off and took my Gryphon on about 1200 miles of road and 400 in the dirt.....

couldn't have been happier with the 2 sets of tires and 2 cogs and a arro bar

was a great trip with a killer bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-mt-road.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-offroad.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-roadmode.jpg  

Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    My Singular build.

After some experimenting I ended up using mostly the continental cyclocross tires. I switch to a pair of firecross only when the trail justifies a bigger balloon tire.

Just to try the maximum tire with I could fit, I had a kenda 1.95 on the back, which actually touched the stay as I pedaled and a kenda 2.1 on the front. Fun

Witty McWitterson
    niiiice! I'm liking the Alfine on mine. Seems like a good match for the Peregrine.
    Just a regular guy.

jrm
    mtbr member

i find it

a lot easier to feather the front brake keeping it from sliding in muck using v brakes.

Really looking forward to more info on the kite.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Curious with regards to the Kite on pricing, ETA, and whether it will come with the matching fork shown on the Singular site.
    - Simon

ballbuster

Nice!

That looks like a de-anodized and polished Sette Edge/Ritchey Pro/Forte Team stem. I did the same thing to my stem. I love shiny silver parts.

mtbr member
    Thatís a Velo Orange Stem. The idea was to make the bike as red and shiny as possible

The alfine and Jtek work great with the Peregrine. Does anyone know if Jtek will be releasing a shifter for the new 11 sp alfine?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    Curious with regards to the Kite on pricing, ETA, and whether it will come with the matching fork shown on the Singular site.
    Pricing will be similar to other frames in the range. I plan to offer a steel or carbon fork option. Getting the correct colour match for the carbon fork is tricky as I really want to continue to use a powder coat for the frame, and obviously you can't powder coat carbon. However I'll be testing some things with the painters and hope to get it right. Availability however has been pushed back to 2011. It wasn't going to happen in time for this cross season, and I figured there's not much point releasing a 'cross frame in January, so I want to make sure it's perfect for autumn next year.

In the mean time I'll be working on bringing the Osprey (classic lugged steel road frame) out in time for spring '11. Oops, sorry for the OT road talk. This should be a nice one though!
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the forthrightness. I don't have the cash for it this fall anyways, so 2011 is probably as good as anything. It will be at the top of my list wen I look for a new frame.

Sorry for the hijack. Great pictures!
    - Simon

ballbuster

Wow....

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I just noticed the twine holding the bar tape on, and the wood bar plug. Very retro. Nice detail!! Well done!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast