Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    The Kite.
    Is it designed as a racer or an all around bike? Not much on the Singular website for those wanting details...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This is my large Swift. It celebrates its three years day next month.
    I have used it more than any of my other bikes since I got it. It makes me smile every time I get it out.
    Even on the way to work in the rain.

As it was brand new and freshly built:

And as it was one year later:

In fact it is still the same today. No major rebuilds, no experimenting, no nothing, except a new bottom bracket. The color is truer to life in the bottom picture. The bike is absolutely wonderful. And I am thinking very hard about a Pegasus to replace my third Fisher frame that gave up it's life recently.

LarsB
    Oslo
    Norway

ballbuster
    This is cool. I don't think I've ever even seen a Singular in the flesh until mine showed up in the mail. Looks like there are a bunch of them out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ratspike
    For giggles I put some wide Salsa flat bars on and instantly fell in love with this bike. It's faster than I am for sure. And the EBB? It just works. Never slips, never creaks, doesn't need any voodoo like my Biocentrics.

I've seen it mentioned before that Singular forks are fantastic and it's true - I don't know what magic fairy dust they sprinkle on these things but whatever it is, it's good stuff.
    @ratspike, that is rare. But the best part is how much you like it. I think it looks sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi, I am new to these boards, but I am thinking about buying a singular gryphon. Do you guys know if there is toe overlap with the medium frame? I am debating between the gryphon and the rawland drakkar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    One more for the list...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-swift.jpg  

Last edited by wookieejuice; 08-25-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Witty McWitterson
    No sam0ah, there's no toe over lap on the Gryphon. There is a brushing of toe overlap on the Drakkar, but only if you use really big tires like the WTB Wierwolf though. Normal 2.1" tires work fine though.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratspike
    Tried Midges, then tried Woodchippers. Liked it at first but grew to really hate drops, but that wasn't the Gryphon's fault. For giggles I put some wide Salsa flat bars on and instantly fell in love with this bike. It's faster than I am for sure. And the EBB? It just works. Never slips, never creaks, doesn't need any voodoo like my Biocentrics.

I've seen it mentioned before that Singular forks are fantastic and it's true - I don't know what magic fairy dust they sprinkle on these things but whatever it is, it's good stuff.

That looks good!

I have a Gryphon myself with Woodchipper bars.
    Had my first longer multi day ride this weekend, sort of bikepacking and linking mountainbike tracks together.
    Still not sure about the dropbar thing though.
    The drops seem to far below the saddle though I have the top of the bars level with the saddle.
    Seems like I rode with my hands on top of the bars quite much.

But I have a Salsa Pro Moto 17 deg flatbar in my shed so I might try that out after some more experimenting with drops.
    Might jus be an idea to try out!
    Last edited by cubeman; 08-24-2010 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    1x9 deore xt, reba team maxle, hope pro11/ dtswiss wheels new nobby nic 29ers, thomson, surley 1x1 flatbar, charge saddle

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My contribution. Running it 1x9 here but run it 1x1 on a somewhat regular basis. (thanks for the pic Martini)

w24-32

jrm
    mtbr member

Man

the Kite is a slick looking design. Im looking forward to seeing how the geometry pans out..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wow - wonderful to see all these builds on one thread! Glad everyone is liking them so much. Just to answer a couple of questions.

There is a US page on the Singular website - http://www.singularcycles.com/US.html. The link in the 'Dealers' section points to Marty's old page which seems to be dead so I will fix it to point back at the page above.

The Kite project has unfortunately been pushed back due to delays with the current production run of more Swifts and Peregrines. In the end I felt it was more important to try and keep as consistent stock as possible of existing models than go introducing new stuff. There are also other considerations as to whether to give it discs now they've been legalised for UCI 'cross racing, or maybe a disc and canti version.... If you've got any thoughts please just drop me a mail.

Toe overlap is always a hard one to be 100% certain on given the variety of factors which influence it - tyre size, foot size, shoe type, cleat position, crank length, ebb position... I can say that the Gryphon (indeed all my frames) is designed to try and minimise the chance of overlap. That said, if you are on a medium with size 12 Carnacs, 185mm cranks, the ebb well forward and 2.4" tyres it may well hit.

Anyhow, as this is a photo thread here are some of my own. Recently been feeling a lot of love for the Gryphon again!

Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    With regard to toe overlap: I'm a US size 13 shoe with cleats fairly well back running the EBB at 4 o'clock with a 2.4 racing ralph. Not even a chance of toe overlap!

Hope that helps.

And a big YES to kite disc mounts. I think having them adds a lot and shouldn't cause any problems. Not having them will lose you more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton
    And a big YES to kite disc mounts. I think having them adds a lot and shouldn't cause any problems. Not having them will lose you more.
    It'd be a matter of one or the other, definitely not both. Possibly two variants of the same frame. I do like the seat stays and the canti studs on the canti braked version though. Would also need to re-think the dropouts if we went disc...

Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Discs on the Kite? Yes please, I'll be able to swap the wheels and brakes from my Gryphon And half-link EBB please, no sliding, swinging or slotted dropouts.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Singular
    It'd be a matter of one or the other, definitely not both. Possibly two variants of the same frame. I do like the seat stays and the canti studs on the canti braked version though. Would also need to re-think the dropouts if we went disc...
    Canti studs are perfect for the Kite. Discs obviously stop better, but part of the fun is the narrow tires and cantilevers in the wet and mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow - wonderful to see all these builds on one thread! Glad everyone is liking them so much. Just to answer a couple of questions.
    How about bringing back just a small batch of geared only Swifts ? Pretty please ?
    No need to paint them in red like they used to be, blue is just fine.
    Last edited by Ojos Azules; 08-26-2010 at 10:27 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member

Could allways go the

disc mount/ removable canti studs route with a seatstay post mount. Sure would be sweet.

I for one vow for full v brakes on all my CX builds. Discs on the CX bike just felt like way to much brake.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Witty McWitterson
    I love disc brakes. I really do. On Mountain bikes. On CX bikes, I'm as traditional as they come. Canti only IMO. Skinny tires + mud = marginal traction. Throwing in the power of disc brakes into that equation leads to a serious lack of control. The tires simply can't keep up with the discs. IME, cross is meant to be a bit sketchy. You're riding bikes that are ideally suited for road use, in conditions and places better suited for mountain bikes. The Kite is meant to a cross race bike, right Sam? My thoughts are to keep it purposeful, clear as to its intents. It'll be interesting to see if any pros end up using Discs this coming year. I just don't think they're worth the effort of design. If you're using canti's, the unused disc mounts are unsightly[as are brake posts if you're running discs].
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

my pegasus

Here's my 9.2kg pegasus size large
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-cimg2781.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-cimg2774.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-cimg2760.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My Swifty

Here's my Swift... got it this spring and have been tuning it over the summer. Hums right along now!! Changes since the first pic... Salsa Pro-Moto carbon bar, Truvativ Stylo stem...

Currently a 1x9 but soon to be a 1x1 and hopefully an Eriksen Ti seatpost too! This bike is a blast to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-photo3.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-photo.jpg  

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I love disc brakes. I really do. On Mountain bikes. On CX bikes, I'm as traditional as they come. Canti only IMO. Skinny tires + mud = marginal traction. Throwing in the power of disc brakes into that equation leads to a serious lack of control. The tires simply can't keep up with the discs. IME, cross is meant to be a bit sketchy. You're riding bikes that are ideally suited for road use, in conditions and places better suited for mountain bikes. The Kite is meant to a cross race bike, right Sam? My thoughts are to keep it purposeful, clear as to its intents. It'll be interesting to see if any pros end up using Discs this coming year. I just don't think they're worth the effort of design. If you're using canti's, the unused disc mounts are unsightly[as are brake posts if you're running discs].
    Couldn't agree more. Racing 'cross in all conditions, I'd say that even in optimal conditions the tires are the limiting factor in braking, much less in the muck.

I've been wanting a Singular for quite a while now, may end up waiting for the Kite, pretty sweet looking!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gugugu
    Here's my 9.2kg pegasus size large
    That's sooo nice! I would love a bike like that...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Absolutely love this bike!

Harmonius Wrench

Blue Gryphon?

Sam, I noticed the Gryphon on your site and posted here is blue. Is this color going to become available to the masses?

Just curious. I like it in blue.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast