Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok, thread resurrection time:

Here's my Peregrine sat on the beach, after watching yesterdays Tour of Britain stage roll past.

mtbr member
    May 2008

My Gryphon

and the answer to West Seattle's crappy broken pavement, 9 months of rainy weather, close by parks with gravel roads and single track. This will be more in the nature of an urban assault road bike than a true mountain bike (unless I'm putting on top the car and ....).

Sram Force/Rival/X-7 drivetrain, Chris King rasta headset, Thomson stem and post, cowbell bars, vulpine rubber on DT Swiss 1800 wheels. It rolls over everything in its path, is beyond stable on the road (I think I could fall asleep riding no handed and it would still roll straight) yet quick enough to be fun and not pondering.

It truly towers over my road bikes (which with 64 cm seattubes aren't small).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-2012-11-04_12-09-11_528.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-2012-11-04_10-42-46_359.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-2012-11-04_10-58-40_693.jpg  

Nev
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
    and the answer to West Seattle's crappy broken pavement, 9 months of rainy weather, close by parks with gravel roads and single track. This will be more in the nature of an urban assault road bike than a true mountain bike (unless I'm putting on top the car and ....).

Sram Force/Rival/X-7 drivetrain, Chris King rasta headset, Thomson stem and post, cowbell bars, vulpine rubber on DT Swiss 1800 wheels. It rolls over everything in its path, is beyond stable on the road (I think I could fall asleep riding no handed and it would still roll straight) yet quick enough to be fun and not pondering.

It truly towers over my road bikes (which with 64 cm seattubes aren't small).
    TWO Sweet Bikes!

Know what you're saying about the Gryphon towering over your other bike. Feels like I'm driving a monster truck when I'm on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    those gryphon with 180mm front rotors, which adaptor model of Avid did you guys use?

i am thinking of getting a gryphon...just not sure to run ss or gears on them...most prob will be geared coz i have a jones as my ss but all these ss gryphon simply look nicer..

Kenatay
    Jan 2010
    mojak - I built up a Gryphon a couple of years ago (fresh build pics on pg. 12 since changed considerably) as a single speed and enjoyed it big-time but found I was always looking for another gear at hilly site where I ride 90 percent of the time. Since I already had two other single-speeds, I played around with throwing the upper end from an XT cassette on a ss Hope Pro II hub (see - "6 cogs on a SS hub" discussion) and matched that up with an XTR rear der. and bar-end shifter. Got a 38 tooth ring on my White Industries crank and a Pauls Chainkeeper (minimal clearance between keeper and crankarm - can't go smaller) and I love this set-up. Got a gear for street use and hauling on straight single track in a 17 tooth cog and some forgiveness with a 32 upper on the cassette for some gradual uphill action. Still have the lateral stiffness that ss wheel build offers and all the gears I need/want on this rig. Best thing, if I ever want to go back to ss, the conversion is a piece-of-cake. Best of both worlds!
    Want to see an awsome looking Gryphon? Go to page 13 and check out the creation that Simonhi put together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Im intrigue by the 6cogs on ss hub but not sure which rear d is compatible with it..as for shifters intend to use the Retroshift CXV shifters/brake levers also not sure if its compatible for rear application.

its either i do geared gryphon n keep my Jones ss or geared the Jones and do the gryphon ss...now that is the million dollar qn...

mtbr member
    Hummingbird, looking unusually clean.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-hummingbird-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi guys, any of you know if shimano bar end shifters can be used to the current 2x10 shimano mtb groupset like the xt or slx? any one tried this combination before?

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Yes I did

Nothing wrong with the frame, it was really excellent for what it was.

But I'm now in need of a geared bike, preferably with rack mounts, and I don't have the funds to build another bike, so the Swift had to go.
    This new Swifts with gear cable guides, shorter forks and zinc coating are really sweet (and the price is right too), but they still lack the rack mounts (I'm not yet sold on those bikepacking bags, at least to daily use) and those cool anything cages fork braze ons.
    Really? Why? They're a lot lighter and if built correctly, fit your bike like a glove. That gives you the ability to do a lot more varied riding on your bike of choice. It also depends on how much you carry, to and from work as well as whether you want to leave them on the bike or take everything off. If you want to take it off... forget it. Of course, I come from a bikepacking/bag making background and not a touring background. We're also Singular owners and we know Sam. Just to come clean.

In any case, everyone that I know with a Gryphon (especially, the single speeders) choose the Gryphon over the Fargo nearly every time.

mtbr member
    Singular photos: Post here!-sdim2481s.jpg
    Perfect winter weather for riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Had a few upgrades so a repost is in order. This thing makes me smile every time I ride it.

[IMG][url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93120273@N06/8677354804/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93120273@N06/8676255879/]r[/k

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just finished building my Gryphon the other day.This is my second dance with a Gryphon. Over a period of several years I went from a first gen Fargo to a Gryphon, then to Rawland Drakkar and now back to a Gryphon again.Never cared for the Fargo, liked the Drakkar quite a bit but it felt a little less trail-worthy than the Gryphon so here I am again...

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

Singular photos: Post here!

Hey N10S..... Just curious what you didn't like on the Fargo as so many people seem to put the two bikes in the same category. Haven't had either but I'd take the Gryphon based on no sliders and 'real' Singlespeed capability but have never compared geometry or anything.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Posted in the wrong thread, sorry guys
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Hey N10S..... Just curious what you didn't like on the Fargo as so many people seem to put the two bikes in the same category. Haven't had either but I'd take the Gryphon based on no sliders and 'real' Singlespeed capability but have never compared geometry or anything.
    I found the Fargo to be slower handling and the BB was also pretty low.Really not much fun to ride on single track. I did not think that the lower BB would cause any issues but definitely had to watch it on rocky single track to avoid crank strikes. By comparison the Gryphon (for me personally) felt more like a drop-bar mountain bike and as capable as any rigid 29er off the beaten path. Sam at Singular has mentioned previously that the Gryphon handles in a similar fashion to the Swift and based on my experiences thats not surprising. Overall though the Fargo was a very comfortable bike, perhaps the most cushy rigid bike I have ever owned/ridden. It also has lots of touring braze-on's as well where the Gryphon doesn't,although thats not what I was really looking for. In my mind having owned both I feel that although they are both drop bar specific frames with a tall head tube/front-center, they are very different bikes. From what I have read the newer Fargos are probably closer, but I have not had a chance to ride one so can't really comment one way or the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks familiar . Glad to see it built up - looks great. I miss it, will probably be another one in my future at some point.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Good looking bike! My Singular needs a fork and some gears

Quote Originally Posted by nzhumpy View Post
    Had a few upgrades so a repost is in order. This thing makes me smile every time I ride it.

[IMG][url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93120273@N06/8677354804/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93120273@N06/8676255879/]r[/k

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Good looking bike! My Singular needs a fork and some gears
    Thanks.

A fork of some description is always a good idea, and as long as you have a gear it's a good day to be riding.

mtbr member
    Edited...wrong thread!

Sorry guys!
    Last edited by RS VR6; 05-21-2013 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Strangest looking Singular I've ever seen! Seems a bit plastic? ;-)
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Sorry man! Wrong thread!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Looks familiar . Glad to see it built up - looks great. I miss it, will probably be another one in my future at some point.
    Hey, how's it going! It's taken me a while to finally get it built. Since taking those pics I have changed to a narrower set of salsa Delgado cross wheels. The dusters were just a bit too wide and seemed better suited to a more aggressive full-on mountain bike. The delgado's also have a silver machined sidewall which looks a bit better on the gryphon than the black dusters. Hope to get some miles on the bike soon. Take care and happy trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi, is there any Gryphon riders who also rides the Jones? I thought of trying out dropbar trail riding with the Gryphon but am not sure if I will like it. Looking at the geometry between the Gryphon and Jones, the Gryphon has shorter ett (18mm), sta steeper by 0.5deg and a longer fork a-c (10mm) as compared to the Jones.

By looking at these nos, if I don't really like mtb riding in the drop and change to a normal bar or the Loop bar, will I get a somewhat similar rear-weight bias riding like the Jones? Maybe I might need to get a layback seatpost to compensate the shorter ett of the Gryphon with a normal bar.

Now I am contemplating to go with the Gryphon and pray I like riding in the drop or go wtih the Jones, put a Midge on it, hope I like it. And if I don't, then I can just revert to a normal bar on the Jones, which is what it is intended for.

Hope some can give inputs and reasons on the way to go...Gryphon or Jones. Iknow it's a Singular thread but please help with my decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

My SSR in Ben-Shemen Forest IL

Usually I'm riding with Fox 100mm, I felt that I need to change something...
    here it is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singular photos: Post here!-resized_20130604_065845.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-resized_20130604_065628.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-resized_20130604_065612.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-resized_20130604_065731.jpg  

Singular photos: Post here!-resized_20130604_065746.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Hi, is there any Gryphon riders who also rides the Jones? I thought of trying out dropbar trail riding with the Gryphon but am not sure if I will like it. Looking at the geometry between the Gryphon and Jones, the Gryphon has shorter ett (18mm), sta steeper by 0.5deg and a longer fork a-c (10mm) as compared to the Jones.

By looking at these nos, if I don't really like mtb riding in the drop and change to a normal bar or the Loop bar, will I get a somewhat similar rear-weight bias riding like the Jones? Maybe I might need to get a layback seatpost to compensate the shorter ett of the Gryphon with a normal bar.

Now I am contemplating to go with the Gryphon and pray I like riding in the drop or go wtih the Jones, put a Midge on it, hope I like it. And if I don't, then I can just revert to a normal bar on the Jones, which is what it is intended for.

Hope some can give inputs and reasons on the way to go...Gryphon or Jones. Iknow it's a Singular thread but please help with my decision.
    I just put a Jones Loop Bar on my Gryphon after experimenting with a On One Mary Bar for a while.

The Gryphon feels very playful now, should try it out soon

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast