mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Singular Gryphon+suspension fork. Is it possible?

Hello

First I ask forgiveness for my English. I do not know English and I use the google translator.

A Singular Gryphon you can put a suspension fork. Is it possible?

Or by the geometry of the bike frame can not be done.

If you can not. What is the reason?

I do not see any picture of the Unique Gryphon with supension fork

regards

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can if you want to. The bike will still go. A suspension fork is longer, so that will effect the handling. If your trails are not very twisty, maybe you won't mind too much. Do you already have the Gyrphon? If not, you might prefer the Salsa Fargo, which is a very similar bike and is designed for suspension forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the reply bolandjd

I still I have not the gryphon. I am looking for a box to use with drop-bars "Salsa woodchipper"

But not if I liked the experience. I use it for later use with flat handlebars and mountain bike suspension fork.

Greetings.

mtbr member
    You can reduce a Rock Shox Reba 29 with an extra all-travel spacer, so it has 60mm of travel. That way your fork will have an effective length of 450mm, which will be similar to the original fork, and your geometry will be maintained.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the reply two-one.

I note your recommendation.

regards

Witty McWitterson
    Its generally not suggested. The fork is 445 tall, with a 55 trail figure. Sure, you could reduce the travel on the Reba, but then you'd have a fork with a 38 or 44 trail figure, leading you to more than likely having toe over lap issues, and an ill handling bike. The stock fork rides quite nicely, and while obviously not a suspension fork, gives a nice forgiving ride. There are flat bar set ups out there for the Gryphon, so set it up how you like!
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    thanks for your advice martini

mtbr member
    Depending on your frame size, it may also be an issue in getting a fork with a long enough steerer tube. As an experiment, I put my uncut Reba (260mm steerer) into my gen 1 Fargo (200mm or 210mm head tube), and it wasn't long enough--the stem didn't have enough steerer tube to clamp onto.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Seat_boy thank you very much. Now I have clear some of the problems if I put a supension fork.

The Head Tube Length of Singular Gryphon is 130mm. In the M size is 5 mm more than the Salsa Fargo in the same size.

The Gryphon can be more difficult to find a suspension fork.

What is travel suspension fork you put it?

It seems that raises the front bicycle. Is it much modified the geometry of the bike?

In the webside of Salsa indicates that you can put a fork with 80mm travel.

But that does not suspension forks can be compatible with your steerer.

regards

mtbr member
    Mine is the original Fargo, built for a rigid fork. The second generation Fargos (on Salsa's site now) are made for suspension forks. I think this fork raised my bottom bracket about 30mm, and probably slackened my angles by 3* or so. It was last summer so I don't really remember. Because the stem wasn't clamped securely, I didn't do more than ride it up and down the street.

With only a 130mm head tube, you won't have a problem physically fitting the fork on the Gryphon. It will still change the angles though. If you want a drop bar bike that can go rigid or suspension, you'd be much better off with the new Fargo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    thank you very much for the reply.

I now need to choose the size of the bicycle frame.

Not be the most appropriate size for me to the gryphon

my height is 177cm. if I use as reference system measures Salsa.

Salsa Fargo size is M. in theory the gryphon me to the size L.

the gryphon in size L. The head tube measures 157.4mm

in size L will be more difficult to put a supension fork.

greetings and thanks