Master of the Obvious

Singular Gryphon 250+ mile review

I have been riding my Singular Gryphon a lot the past two months, I have well over 250 singletrack miles on it and close to another 150 on pavement. I have ridden it on everything I can find from fast on semi technical terrain ( well as technical as there is in Northern Indiana)to a lazy Charity road ride. The bike continues to impress me.I knew the frame and the way I was specking it out would be a solid build. I also knew the bike was going to be a good all-rounder, But the way it shines in singletrack has made me a huge fan. The handling is very crisp,I can handle tight switch backs with ease. It also handles jumps and drops equally well. I have owned several 29ers, 69er and a 650b (not to mention a slew of 26" bikes back in the day).

The Gryphon out performs them all. One of my past favorite bikes was my Karate Monkey, the two complaints I had with the KM were 1. I felt like I was always trying to get the bike to turn in the twisties and 2.the old style KM fork was harsh. One the Gryphon I don't have to wrestle the bike in the twisty stuff I just lean and we go! and the front fork is much more compliant. Part of the key to the magic is having a frame and fork engineered to go together, by not making the Gryphon geometry suspension corrected, it allowed them to really dial in the handling.

After my time on a KM and a Gary Fisher Rig I acquired a Trek 69er. I loved the way the 69er carved the twisties, but missed the smoothness of having a big wheel behind me. Once again the Gryphon carves like the 69er but the back wheel eats up and absorbs all the bumps.

Something else I have discovered on my saddle time, is that Drop bars are very off road friendly! I really feel that Being in the drops is very if not more stable than when riding a wide straight bar. On my past single speeds I have run the everything from the the wide Salsa ProMoto's, Jones H-Bars and a Mary Bar. I am currently running an Origin8 Gary Bar and I may or may not eventually try a Salsa Woodchipper.

I am not a lightweight (200lbs) but there is not a lot of flex when I hammer and I feel more like I am sitting in the bike rather than on top of it(which is common for most 29ers) I would highly recommend a Singular to anyone. The attention to detail on the frame is top notch, the welds are clean, the paint and logos are flawless and Customer service is top notch! I posted a pic on here at MTBR and Sam (who owns Singular) saw in the pic that I hadn't received a Headbadge with my frame. He posted that I should contact him to get one. I sent Sam an email and within ten days I had a beautiful pewter Gryphon Headbadge to install on my frame! To me that is awesome after the sale service, I have never seen or heard of John Burke (Trek) or Mike Sinyard (Specialized) cruiser the boards to see if their customers where satisfied.

I haven't posted the complete build specs yet so here it is:

Frame/Fork : Singular Gryphon
    Headset : Chris King
    Stem : Ringle Evolution
    Bars : Origin8 Gary
    Tape : Salsa
    Crankset : RaceFace Evolve SS
    Chainring : Salsa 32 tooth
    Pedals : Eggbeaters Stainless
    Chain : Sram pc 970
    Rear Cog : Surly 18tooth
    Wheelset : Hope Pro Evo Hubs laced to Stans Arch EX Rims
    Tires : Bontrager 29.3EXP (setup tubeless w/ Stans)
    Brakes : Avid BB7
    Levers : Cane Creek
    Seat Post : Thomson Elite lay back
    Post Clamp : Salsa
    Saddle : WTB Shadow

Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Plan #123-D
    Cool. Thanks for sharing!
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have Gryphon love as well.After one year,many miles and a few races including a solo six im still in awe of the fun this bike brings to cycling.Ive just this week converted the bike back to ss where i feel its at its best.Interesting u mentioned the drop bars because obviously the bike is designed round them and it feels so natural to be in them.Im using Salsa Woodchippers,they have a little flex in them that helps take an edge off the ridgid setup

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any updates on this? I'm looking for a 29er frame to set up as rigid fixed gear. I'm liking the geo on this frame.

Master of the Obvious
    I am still riding my "Gryphon" It is almost a perfect bike for me and in the conditions where I ride. It is still set as a Single Speed, ( though I have toyed with a 1x10 idea, but I will need to change bars as my old Gary bars do not accommodate bar end shifters.)

As for going fixed there is no reason why it wouldn't work, probably would rock that out as well.

I have ridden it on all kinds of terrain ( well the kinds I kind find in Michiana!) it excels in twisty flowing single track. I have done some urban rides and several have mentioned how nimble the bike is for it's size. I even took it on a north shore type trail loaded with skinnies and teeter totters, for this type of riding I had her geared to high, which made some sections harder than they needed to be.

A have no plans on replacing the Gryphon any time soon, the only bike I am adding to my arsenal next year is a Roadie.

Good luck on your build.
    Check out my Blog!

Witty McWitterson
    thanks for the nice review! I love my Gryphon too, but am admitedly a bit biased. As far as running them fixed, Fixie Dave had one that he ran fixed. Liked it so much that he had Ground Up make a Ti version that he completed the GDR on. Right now I have a couple Larges and an XL in stock.
    Just a regular guy.

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~ View Post
    thanks for the nice review! I love my Gryphon too, but am admitedly a bit biased. As far as running them fixed, Fixie Dave had one that he ran fixed. Liked it so much that he had Ground Up make a Ti version that he completed the GDR on. Right now I have a couple Larges and an XL in stock.

Yep and ~martini~ will treat you right!

I wish his shop was closer to South Bend.....
    Check out my Blog!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    martini - do you know if the Gryphon will work with old Dura Ace square taper cranks? I'd really like to use it, if I can.

Angus - sorry for the temporary thread deraillment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Martini do you have any large swifts in stock. Trying to figure out if I need a large or xlarge. I would have pmed but I don't have enough posts.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    martini - do you know if the Gryphon will work with old Dura Ace square taper cranks? I'd really like to use it, if I can.

yep square taper is good to go. The Q Factor can be adjusted by the spindle length of the BB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    It is still set as a Single Speed, ( though I have toyed with a 1x10 idea, but I will need to change bars as my old Gary bars do not accommodate bar end shifters.)
    I've also toyed with the idea of gears on my drop bar 29er.

Sram X9 and X0 triggers have a separate clamp. I think it would be feasible to switch the clamp to allow mounting to a thicker bar. Shouldn't be too hard to make even from scratch if a commercial option is not available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I used a 113mm spindle length square taper Phil wood on mine. The Gryphon was a great bike and definitely a great bike for drop bar singletrack riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    After one year,many miles and a few races including a solo six im still in awe of the fun this bike brings to cycling

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Hmmm, looks good

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post

Not really adding anything new, but ... ... (adding to the affirmation) mine is set up with a single ring on [the middle of] an old Sugino triple crank, and a Shimano UN5something ST BB, and it works perfectly.

As long as the ST interface on the cranks is sound, it'll be fine, and using a ST BB gives you useful options for setting the chainline or Q-factor...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Has anyone ever used a Jeff Jones fork with their Gryphon? I'm especially curious about the L and XL sizes. The axle to crown lengths are 445mm (Gryphon) and 441mm (Jones). The offset for both is 55mm. Head and seat tube angles for both frames are the same. Also the stearer tube on the Jones fork is long enough to handle the head tubes of even the XL Gryphon frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Are you talking the unicrown or truss? Not sure if the truss will work out unless the HT size is similar (too lazy to look it up). Could be a cool set up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oops. Forgot to specify. I was referring to the unicrown. A frame would pretty much have to have the exact same head tube height as the Jones frame for the truss fork to work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The unicrown should work. Although I'm not sure if the money spent would be wise, since it's not only the fork, but a new wheel as well. So you're looking at $350 for the fork and proabably another $300 for the front wheel. I personally wouldn't do it, especially considering the new forks are Knard-able.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thing is I already have a Jones diamond frame and unicrown fork. I really like the bike and its geometry; however, at 6'4", the Jones is a bit small for me. That's why I'm considering the Gryphon. I like the stouter fork and dishless wheel that you get with the 135mm front hub. Just pondering possibilities.

mtbr member
    Blatant, self-serving PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by sbruton7 View Post
    Thing is I already have a Jones diamond frame and unicrown fork. I really like the bike and its geometry; however, at 6'4", the Jones is a bit small for me. That's why I'm considering the Gryphon. I like the stouter fork and dishless wheel that you get with the 135mm front hub. Just pondering possibilities.