locked - time out

Single Speed 29er choices, Rockhopper vs Stumpjumper vs RIG

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain ($2600) MY2011

VS.

http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...8&menuItemId=0
    ($1100) MY 2010

Why $1500 more? I see a few upgrades on the fork/brakes/wheels/M4vs.M5 frame ect. Why so much more for such a similar bike? What's the weight difference? SJ-2 lbs lighter maybe?

I was also looking at the new Trek/GF RIG coming out in November that looks like a nice compromise in the middle.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...hardtails/rig/
    ($1500) MY 2011

I had an older Rockhopper SS 29er that I regret selling and I am looking for another SS 29er. Are there any other good front suspension light single speed 29ers I should consider? I bought a Motobecane SS ( Dart-3 fork/sliding dropouts) 29er a few months ago. It works well on pavement but feels like a tank off road.

Dirty South Underdog
    Niner One9! I loooooooove mine!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    One9 if you want a racing bike. Sir9 if you want a comfortable bike. I have 2 Sirs, one is single speed with Niner Carbon Fork and the other is geared with Fox RL29 fork. I can swap the forks by removing the front brake lever, loosening the stem bolts and taking the top cap off each bike. (remove 3 bolts and loosen 2 bolts per bike) In order to do this, I had to use the same brakes on both bikes (Juicy 7) and the same headset on each bike (Cane Creek Orbit X). I move the wheels and all since the big cushy Weirwolf goes better with the rigid fork.

Anyway, having ridden all four combinations; for all but the worst courses, the SS sir with the rigid fork is the bomb. That combo with not particularly light parts weighs 22 lbs. and the geared hardtail combo weights 26 also with not particularly light parts. Also, I highly recommend the Syntace P6 400 mm seatpost to go with the other parts.

I have read several other threads on this forum regarding the difference between the Air9/Sir9/Air9Carbon. Basically the carbon and aluminum bikes are razor sharp but also ride accordingly (U can search to find various other threads). The Specialized bikes are similar to the Carbon and Scandium Niner offerings. if you race then you need to look at the stiff bikes, but if you are like the majority of cyclists you will find joy in riding a plush steel frame and you will actually ride more too.

Powered by ice cream.
    Seems like you get a lot for your money with the Rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just picked up a VERY gently used '10 RockHopper SS (like the one you linked) from a guy who wanted out of it after buying it too big. In fact, it still had the tag on the front skewer. Originally I wanted a geared 29er to try out the big wheels, and was also looking at a BikesDirect purchase of some sort. When this guy offered to sell it to me for $500, I couldn't say No.

Turns out, I dig the 29er and the SS. Even am considering selling my FS26 inch and getting a geared 9er also. The RHSS being the cheapest of the three you linked, I would definately say to go with what you know. You had one before that you liked, right? The Rig IMO, is a similar choice, and probably $400 more due to the Fox Fork. Worth it? You decide.

I guess it really comes down to what kind of riding you will be doing or how much you WANT to spend.

Good luck with your decision.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    If possible, test ride them even if it's in the parking lot. You may find that one works better than the other.

I think that the Rig is a great value but.... you may or may not care for the geometry. I owned a first generation and did not like it. Most love it. The way it handled bothered me the most but we also couldn't stop the EBB from creaking. I have owned other EBB equipped bikes with zero issues. I ended up selling my frame and using the parts which are a great value for the price point.

I'm not knocking the Rig. Just keep in mind that everyone rides a little different, has different dimensions, etc and not all bikes fit as well as others.

YMMV

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by hygieneboy
    Why $1500 more? I see a few upgrades on the fork/brakes/wheels/M4vs.M5 frame ect. Why so much more for such a similar bike? What's the weight difference? SJ-2 lbs lighter maybe?
    The SJ has better components all around, not to mention the higher grade frame alloy.

It would probably cost that much ($1500) to drop a good 2-3 pounds from the Rockhopper anyway.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Lurker
    May 2008
    Rockhopper SS Frame only (MSRP showing $440) & build it to suit you. BB7's, eBay Reba Race, Hope / Stan's wheelset, etc & you can be under $1500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    You bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    You bastard

mtbr member
    An interesting thig most people overlook on the Rig is that I comes equipped with cable stops for front and rear derailleur in case you want to go 1X9 or fully geared in the future. I just think it adds to the flexibility of the Rig design. If I were to buy one of the three I'd go with the Stump 29er SS. I think with the component spec you won't want for anythig and you can get them for $2100.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the 2011 rig gets rid of the ebb so that is no longer a issue.

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by hsakkire
    If possible, test ride them even if it's in the parking lot. You may find that one works better than the other.

I think that the Rig is a great value but.... you may or may not care for the geometry. I owned a first generation and did not like it. Most love it. The way it handled bothered me the most but we also couldn't stop the EBB from creaking. I have owned other EBB equipped bikes with zero issues. I ended up selling my frame and using the parts which are a great value for the price point.

I'm not knocking the Rig. Just keep in mind that everyone rides a little different, has different dimensions, etc and not all bikes fit as well as others.

YMMV
    2011 Rig's use a standard Bottom Bracket now and sliding dropouts.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

locked - time out
    Does anyone have first hand experience with the split shell EBB's on the Specialized bikes? How easy to adjust when you change cogs/chain stretch ect. Any slipping/creaking issues?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hygieneboy
    Does anyone have first hand experience with the split shell EBB's on the Specialized bikes? How easy to adjust when you change cogs/chain stretch ect. Any slipping/creaking issues?
    My friend and I likely have around 50 hours or so on two different split shell Specialized frames with no slipping, creaking, etc. It is dead simple to adjust. Just need an allen wrench.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here...maybe this will help with your decision.

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/04/...-final-review/

At Work
    how the heck do you navigate that site. Looking for a GF RIG Review?
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HalFliP
    Here...maybe this will help with your decision.

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/04/...-final-review/
    I will mention that the 2011 Rocky SS frame we are riding now steers much better/less flex with my own wheelset and the Recon fork.

Quite a difference.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yah....That site is not the easiest to get around. I found that link somewhere and it took me right to that page. Guess I was lucky.

Rigid in Evergreen
    After having my large Air9 for almost a month now, I'm still surprised when I see people describing the Scandium Niner frames as "harsh".

Did I catch a niner?
    Rig is always a good choice to start on a SS you get a lot for the price. Only thing is G2 geo so if you plan on swapping the fork later on you might not like the new angle. I saw the Bonti Switchblade this weekend on a Superfly (gnomefest) which is setup G2 and looked nice.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

locked - time out

Wink

Well after checking availablity at my local dealers. The GF/Trek Rig will not be available until late November/December......maybe??

The Rockhopper SS is not available anymore as a complete bike(frame only). They had limited size availability for the 2010 (gray anodized) Stumpy SS ($2400)
    and they had lots of availablity for the 2011 (bronze anodized) Stumpy SS ($2600)

I haggled and haggled with my LBS and decided to order a gray 2010 Stumpy. The specs list looks identical between years only with the color and model year difference being $200. I got it for $2100 Now I'll just have to wait 2-3 weeks ;(

At Work
    where are you located, what size you looking for. Bike shop I bought my 09 Rig from has some 2010's
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

locked - time out
    Large (19") Central Florida

The 2010 RIGs had notoriously problematic slipping/creaking EBB's and a horrid paint scheme.
    I had my eye on 2011's with a better but still interesting paint scheme (sliding dropouts)

But I already gave up the credit card numbers to order my Stumpy so it is done!