Just Ride!

Show and Tell, us about your Motobecane Outcast 29

I would like to learn more about this as a frameset or complete bike with it's sliding drops and disc brakes for a relatively cheap 29er. Your pictures and feedback would be great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I picked up a frame cheap on ebay.. Built it up originally like this

Then got a new fork and cranks and was this for short while

Then I decided to add gears like this

Now it's got some different rubber, a carbon seatpost, and some other tweaks but I guess I've been to busy riding to take a picture in awhile

All in all it seems like a decent frame for what I paid. Sliding dropouts work well, bike is very quick and fun to ride. Probably a pretty good rig to get started on even with the standard kit from Motobecane. One issue I have noticed is you can over tighten the rear dropout slider bolts and they seem to dig into the aluminum of the frame. They work fine but I dunno if it may be a problem long term.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Tip: Buy some washers for the rear sliders... it will help stop tearing up the frame.

I wish I would have known this before... I ended up having to grind and file stuff back to shape so the bolts would slide again.

Other than that, the frame is great, no problems what so ever...

Just Ride!
    Curious what the BB height or drop specs are? Also wonder how the graphics are applied, as decals, paint, etched?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Decals are paint.. under clear coat I think...

as far as the specs... try the website...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentGas View Post
    Tip: Buy some washers for the rear sliders... it will help stop tearing up the frame.

I wish I would have known this before... I ended up having to grind and file stuff back to shape so the bolts would slide again.

Other than that, the frame is great, no problems what so ever...
    Good idea... Not sure why I hadn't thought of that before.

Rode mine last night again and had a blast. This bike is fast. I like how it handles with an 80mm fork out front but I imagine that puts the geometry steeper than it was intended to be. Got my wheel all the way forward in the sliders too. It's a quick bike, down, up and all around. Caveat, this is my only 29er so it's possible I may feel this way about all of them. Especially with a 33 pound Kona Coilair as my other ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure if I can post this question here or if I should start my own thread but I figured why not start here, I have been looking in to 29er specifically motos and was trying to decide between the Outcast 29er and the Phantom 29er comp, my goal is to have a 1x10 bike, something light and strong. Not sure what you guys would recommend as I am still a noob to all this mountain biking stuff, I was also going to just build one from the ground up, but it was going to cost more than I want to spend right off the bat, I want to ride, get a fee for the parts and how the react to what I want to do, then upgrade. Any suggestions is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have both the outcast and a Fantom 29er ( 2011 model ). I bought the Fantom as a complete bike. Then bought the outcast frame cause I wanted to try a small size frame and single speed.

Both frames held up just fine... both have over 1,500 miles on each. I started @ 250lbs. when I first got them, and had zero problems... now I am down to 205lbs. I am an ex moto crosser, and I ride hard!

I liked both frames so much, I bought the Full suspension 29er frame & fork set and totally love it! Sadly, the Fantom hardtail is now hanging on the wall... I can bring myself to riding a hardtail again...

My 9-year old daughter is riding my outcast (15") with a 1x9 setup and loves it. She has been nicknamed Big Wheels by some riders at the local trails.

There is nothing wrong with the frames... They are made by the same manufacture that makes several other brands... I bought my outcast frame for $165 I think? and my FS with fork, headset and shock for $1095... The frame itself is about $400... what a deal!

Spandex Ninja
    I have the 2011 Outcast in XL. I bought the frame off BikeIsland and built it up myself (spent about 800$ total, including frame). The frame was about 170$.

It has been an awesome frame so far. Am riding it as a rigid SS with a Kona P2 fork and 2.25 tires with low pressure. It is very comfortable for an AL frame and has survived about 1000 miles of rooty, rocky goodness so far. As a rigid 29er, this bike is just as comfortable as my 80mm 26er HTs, which are now collecting dust.

I ride with guys who ride higher end hardtails, and I don't see any downside to this frame when compared to their rides. It is relatively light and stiff and flat out gets the job done. Fastest bike I have ridden. I would definitely buy another one. Don't let the price and Motobecane name fool you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I bought one of these frames in 2008 and still haven't built it up. I bought it for my wife because back then it was hard to find a frame in her size that i could afford...and after getting it, i got real scared to put her on a bike that had bolt-on dropouts.I couldn't see exactly from the bikeisland pics how the dropouts were made...so i took a chance.
    ...anyway, i decided to make it my first single speed bike when i do build it.I will never put my wife on it...too risky.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

Spandex Ninja
    I can't see anything really risky about the dropouts. They are pretty beefy and held in place by 3 bolts each. I think they are a pretty good design overall.

I have beat the heck out of this bike as a rigid SS on my local trails (No. Va.) as well as Asheville, NC area trails with nary a problem. As long as you get the wheel aligned right in the dropouts and tighten down the slider bolts, I can't imagine that you'll have a problem. Even under high torque, the dropouts should stay in place. Just my 2 cents...

Just Ride!
    There are ton's of single speed designs with bolt-on dropouts Lynsky, Kona, Salsa, Spot, Trek, and many custom builds with Paragon dropouts. As long as the bolts are of the proper grade and there are enough threads in the hole... ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    I love my outcast 29er. I got mine about 2 years ago. It has gone from SS to 1x9 and now its 2x9. My future plans are to go rigid and maybe 1x10. I have a smattering of different pics on the forum in different threads. I'll try to get a new one up on here shortly. The bike changes almost every 6 months due to crashes or just "gotta-have" parts. I have enjoyed it very much and like upgrading parts. The whole process has expanded my "bike-tinkering" knowledge
    Confucius say, "Man with itchy butt wake up with stinky finger."

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woodi2259 View Post
    I picked up a frame cheap on ebay.. Built it up originally like this

Then got a new fork and cranks and was this for short while

Then I decided to add gears like this

Now it's got some different rubber, a carbon seatpost, and some other tweaks but I guess I've been to busy riding to take a picture in awhile

All in all it seems like a decent frame for what I paid. Sliding dropouts work well, bike is very quick and fun to ride. Probably a pretty good rig to get started on even with the standard kit from Motobecane. One issue I have noticed is you can over tighten the rear dropout slider bolts and they seem to dig into the aluminum of the frame. They work fine but I dunno if it may be a problem long term.
    Nice bike
    Last edited by gridtalker; 11-15-2012 at 05:39 AM.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentGas View Post

I liked both frames so much, I bought the Full suspension 29er frame & fork set and totally love it! Sadly, the Fantom hardtail is now hanging on the wall... I can bring myself to riding a hardtail again...
    Good review! I wqas also wondering about the durability of the frames as I am also a big guy. I had just about made up my mind to go with a 29er hard tail and either Moto or Giant. then I read the above and the full suspension 29er (same frame/fork as yours) with the SRAM components is on my very short list.....now I am not sure what I want to do...again...

You're not helping....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by webb-o View Post
    I can't see anything really risky about the dropouts. They are pretty beefy and held in place by 3 bolts each. I think they are a pretty good design overall.

I have beat the heck out of this bike as a rigid SS on my local trails (No. Va.) as well as Asheville, NC area trails with nary a problem. As long as you get the wheel aligned right in the dropouts and tighten down the slider bolts, I can't imagine that you'll have a problem. Even under high torque, the dropouts should stay in place. Just my 2 cents...
    i hear ya.
    i just would rather not put wifey on it.
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member

My Outcast

Kustomz, this is the latest iteration.

Moto Outcast 29 17inch
    rockshox dart3 100mm
    original wheels/tires (alex/formula/kenda nevegals)
    truvativ hussefelt double w/bash(32/22)
    SRAM 9spd cogs
    SRAM shifters/rr der.
    shimano fd
    Sette stem/bars
    oury grips
    stroker trail hydros
    truvativ post w/forte pro sl saddle
    forte platforms

She rides great. I still need to shorten my hoses. I haven't had any issues with the sliders....yet. Future plans are to go rigid/singlespeed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show and Tell, us about your Motobecane Outcast 29-my-moto.jpg  

Confucius say, "Man with itchy butt wake up with stinky finger."

Just Ride!
    Very nice, thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    I bought one of these frames in 2008 and still haven't built it up. I bought it for my wife because back then it was hard to find a frame in her size that i could afford...and after getting it, i got real scared to put her on a bike that had bolt-on dropouts.I couldn't see exactly from the bikeisland pics how the dropouts were made...so i took a chance.
    ...anyway, i decided to make it my first single speed bike when i do build it.I will never put my wife on it...too risky.
    To whom it may concern:
    I received some negative rep concerning sliding dropouts.
    To set the record staight,I didn't intend to say they are no good...I just meant I was a bit skeptical about using them for my wifes' bike. I'd rather not put my wife on them. There's nothing wrong with being over protective about my wifes' bikes, right?
    OK? OK.
    Thank You and sorry for any misunderstanding.
    Have a nice day.
    zarr
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Bump on this thread. How did you like it as a 1x9? I'm thinking I can convert it for maybe $100-$200 or so. Heard it's cheaper to go 1x9 rather than 1x10. Thoughts?

Thanks.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Since you asked us to show and tell about our MOTOBECANE OUTCAST.. I built mine from ground up.. I transferred all my components from the AGOGO Carbon Fiber frame to this. I know some may wonder why switch.. Well I wanted old school and alum/steel type frame.. Carbon is very nice but for a guy like me 6'3" 220 pounder (still losing weight) to climb, hammer and fly downhill fast on rough grounds... I needed something solid!

Show and Tell, us about your Motobecane Outcast 29-motobecane-outcast-29er.jpg

AS of now it is 1x9... I just bought a downhill RaceFace crankset for 80-90 bucks from 400 dollar price tag.. It was lightly used but very good condition.. I only had to swap out the middle ring since outer and granny ring has almost no use. Only thing left is getting front derailleur then I'm good to go with 3x9... WHOOT!