mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Should I trade my rockhopper for Camber?

Have a RH 29...3 months old. Love it. Rode the Camber today...sick! Love the rear suspension. Dealer will upgrade me...no penalty...give me same insane discount. Do it?

mtbr member
    Do it. There's nothing wrong with the RH. It's a great entry level bike. However, if you can afford the Camber, go for it. It's a great bike, my friend here rides one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ride some of his other bikes to get a broader view so you don't have to keep doing this every 3 months.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Ride some of his other bikes to get a broader view so you don't have to keep doing this every 3 months.
    I agree with this, so long as the deal holds to other models/brands. Cambers are nice rides, but you want to make sure that its suspension is meshes well with you as a rider. If the deal is only for the Camber, I'd still test ride other bikes to make sure you still like it. A great deal on a bike only occurs when you like it.

Some other questions for you might ponder:

Do you ride in an area that benefits from full-suspension? What do you like about the full-suspension? I think many new riders think FS is 'better' than a hardtail. To me, its better to look at them as different tools for the job.
    Are you willing to do some extra maintenance that FS bikes require over a hardtail?
    Be specific with yourself-- what do you love about the Camber, or is this just 'new bike syndrome' all over again for you ? (its ok if it is, we all deal with it :-)

Happy Trails

Should I trade my rockhopper for Camber?

I have two XC trail bikes, very similar, one hard tail and one FS. I made a project of setting them up identical. As much I like riding the hard tail, if I could only have one it would be the full suspension. Heart says hard, but for me, the Scalpel is faster, safer, and more versatile. If your LBS is hooking you up, go with it.

Hmmmmm.... Or keep both?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good feedback. So, I have a road bike, but here on Long Island it's just to congested so I wanted a bike I can ride on the road, curbs, take some jumps, ride a boardwalk, hit a trail and the parks...a good all around bike. I was between the Rockhopper comp and the Carve Expert. I went with the RH for the 3X10, as I'm on the road a lot and didn't want to lose speed. Already replaced the tires with a less aggressive tread. Started hitting some trails, etc. I jump the bike any chance I get. Went to my dealer to p/u my girlfriends bike, saw the Camber, took it for a ride...and couldn't stop jumping!

I really dig my RH...perfect bike...but as I hit more trails, etc I feel like this Camber is the move. My budget was $1K...I paid $975 for the RH. I'm stepping up another $750 for the Camber...my real concern is...is the entry Camber a mistake? Do I need to drop $2500 for a much better bike? If so, not happening right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Man, it sounds like you are on a slippery slope to an impulse buy, which the bike shop loves. LOL The camber is a great bike, but that is a lot "more" money to cash in on something that has some real lower end components on it. It blows my mind that you have to spend this kind of money on FS to even get in the game, but it is what it is. I have a stumpy FSR comp 29 so I know how it feels. I also spent months scouring CL to find the bike at half price almost new because I couldnt afford to pay $3K for a new one...but it was what I knew would make me happy. Again, if it is something you love...go for it, just be educated about what you are getting in to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Stores see me coming a mile away! these bike companies are EXCELLENT at making us spend more (comp/expert/blah blah blah). I'll never race or be a pro. I dig the FS, made riding that much more fun. What is "CL"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sorry. CL = Craigslist

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I've been trying to convince myself that I need to go fs since I bought my rockhopper in '10. But at this point, it has been upgraded and personalized into my perfect Ohio mtb. It's mostly flat rolly trails here with short, steep ups and downs. Hardtails dominate the trails around me.

Sure fs is nice. But do you really need it? If not, spend that extra $750 on upgrades to your rockhopper and gear.
    Last edited by curtboroff; 06-03-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

29ers Forever
    You should buy a Camber, but sell that road bike if you will not use it.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member

Re: Should I trade my rockhopper for Camber?

Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    But do you really need it? If not, spend that extra $750 on upgrades to your rockhopper and gear.
    That's the first time I've heard anyone saying to upgrade a Rockhopper. It's always been, "Don't waste your money on that bike".

I've got a 2012 Rockhopper, and I like it, with the exception of the fork. Where I ride, it's dominated by FS bikes with the rocky terrain here. I'm sure that's why I'm being told not to upgrade my hardtail, so I'm not going to. Soon I'll upgrade to an FS bike. If I didn't need the FS, I would be content with the hardtail. It just depends on what you like and need.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Pull the trigger!
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Have you tried out Trek or Giant? they have very nice rides as well
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurian32 View Post
    Have a RH 29...3 months old. Love it. Rode the Camber today...sick! Love the rear suspension. Dealer will upgrade me...no penalty...give me same insane discount. Do it?
    It really depends on the trails. I mostly ride very rocky technical trails so a full suspension is really nice. But Ive been traveling to so cal for work and riding there a bit. most of the trails that I have easy access to are completely smooth. They have grinding climbs (4K elevation in 10 miles). Everyone rides full suspension but FS isnt really needed, a hardtail is totally fine.

I demoed the camber and didnt like it at all. On climbs the suspension had to be locked out otherwise there was a ton of pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I pulled the trigger. Tested a Trek, didn't like is as much as the Camber. Paid a small vig since my RH had some wear n tear, but overall got a great deal. VERY happy, can't wait to ride.

29ers Forever
    The Camber is one of the few Specialized bikes that I do like.
    Do you prefer the full-suspension over the hardtail RockHopper?
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yes, it's just more "fun" to ride! I'm far from an expert, casual rider at best. I really enjoyed the RH, great ride. But the Camber is another level.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am curious if you tried out any of the higher-end HT or if this upgrade desire was purely the FS rather than a component issue? I hope you like it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Here it is!

Should I trade my rockhopper for Camber?-img_20130608_155207_497.jpg

Love this bike!