mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Should I get a new RIP9?

Or something else? I've been riding a 29er since 2006 and want to continue but I'm leaning toward a FS bike this time. I've been looking and debating for a long time and have heard good things about the new RIP9's.

It's probably a little more bike than I need but I don't race much anymore and would rather have a little extra than come up a bit short on travel and whatnot.

I've ridden a new Fuel EX 8 29" and a few others and they're nice. We're getting a Niner dealer in town any week now (supposedly) so I'm looking forward to trying a RIP finally. I'm also going to ride the usual Specialized suspects since they're nearby as well. Any pro's, cons, or things to look for or compare? I'd probably get a 2-3 star spec'd bike or equivalent if all goes as planned. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yes. As long as it fits you right and you feel good on it, then you can't really go wrong with one. Even if you go with one of the lesser parts build, see if you can get an upgrade to the Rockshox Pike. You won't regret it.

Mine's not a highend build, mostly X9, but I read so many things here about how good the Pike was, especially with the new RIP, that I ditched my plans of carrying over my Reba RLT and sprung for one. The Niner 3 star build with an upgrade to a Pike looks pretty unbeatable. Can always add a dropper post in the future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks. I'm anxious to try one since we're getting a dealer a few blocks from where I work. I've seen a lot of high praise for the Pike, and I'd love to have one if it's in the budget. I know I won't get a Sektor...Revelation is alright.

I have a Reba on my current bike (Fisher X-cal) and like it but I know the Pike is a whole different beast. Did you build your own and just get the frame from Niner?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I currently have a Niner EMD and test rode the RIP RDO at the SE Bike Expo a couple of months back. It was at the top of my list after riding quite a few bikes that day. Fantastic bike!

If the shop is just getting ready to start carrying Niner's my guess is they may get some current models but you may want to wait a few weeks to see if there is any packaging changes. As I posted in another thread (Santa Cruz forum), I was told by someone in the industry a few weeks back that we'll see more RockShox options (Pike included) as well as Cane Creek rear shocks on a lot of bikes in '15. Perfect example - the '15 Norco Sights... And I would have to imagine we'll see more specs with the new SRAM Guide brakes as well.

RIP is still a consideration for me but I thoroughly enjoyed my recent test rides on Santa Cruz 5010, Bronson and Tallboy LT. Waiting for the '15s to be announced before I make a decision.

mtbr member
    Depends on what you ride and how you want to ride it. The RIP is a stiff frame that with a thru-axle fork and a tapered stem can remain composed riding chunk at speed, yet still have an active rear suspension with very little bobbing on a climb. So if you mostly ride buff single track and don't do jumps it might not be the best choice. However, if ride with rocks and roots, it's a great choice.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Some trails are pretty tame where it will be overkill, but others have numerous rocks, roots, jumps, etc and that's where my current hardtail is not the most fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones30 View Post
    I have a Reba on my current bike (Fisher X-cal) and like it but I know the Pike is a whole different beast. Did you build your own and just get the frame from Niner?
    Yeah. I pretty much took all the parts off my Stumpy(with upgraded Hope brakes and Hope/Stan's wheelset) and moved them onto the RIP9 frame. Needed a new front derailleur, and as I said, I sold the Reba fork with the frame and got the Pike, but everything else swapped right over. Had a screaming deal from Merlin Cycles on the Pike. From a few posts I've seen, shops are upgrading the complete builds to a Pike for around $200. Seems a small price to pay the better fork, although maybe that deal is too good to be true.

I guess the Revelation is a pretty nice fork, but guys like Muzzanic who have ridden a lot of different Niners with a lot of different forks say the Pike makes a world of difference.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I built my Rip9 up from frame only.

They are a very good bike, I also really like the Pike ( I have had lots of Revelation's in the past )

Not quite as good as the Pike, But the X Fusion Trace fork is not that far off the Pike & a lot cheaper.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    RIP 9 is a good bike, but you might also want to check out the Rocky Mountain Instinct 950, Trek Fuel EX8 29, and the Scott Genius 940 for other bikes at a similar price.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I built my Rip9 up from frame only.

They are a very good bike, I also really like the Pike ( I have had lots of Revelation's in the past )

Not quite as good as the Pike, But the X Fusion Trace fork is not that far off the Pike & a lot cheaper.
    +1 for the X Fusion

Great quality and affordable!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I sold my 2014 Fuel EX8 29er for a RIP 9. The rip pedals and climbs better, with that said I am comparing the Fuel in the trail setting and the RIP in the full open setting. For me the Rip stays more composed when riding down hill or aggressively. My trails do not warrant a bike built like mine is but I like the fun factor of the Rip (and the Fuel 29er/trail bikes) vs the typical XC race bike. I had the wheels and fork upgraded as part of the deal. Mine was ordered as the 3 star (full XT) build. It seems little is desired as the bike came. I did also change out the long 90mm stem to a 60mm. I may also pick up a set of Niner RDO 780mm bars.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, the Fuel EX 8 29er was one of the bikes I'm comparing this against. I just rode one of those again last week for a bit, might rent one at our local trails to give it a fair comparison instead of around the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What I like about the CVA and VPP suspension designs (based on my experience, they both ride similar) is you can just leave the rear in open - going up and going down. Another poster recommended a RM Instinct and I rode that after a ride on a Yeti SB95 and before my ride on the RIP RDO. When going up, I had to use the bar mounted lever to lock-out to be most efficient. Not a huge deal obviously but a consideration.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Giant trance 29 is worth testing

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones30 View Post
    Or something else? I've been riding a 29er since 2006 and want to continue but I'm leaning toward a FS bike this time. I've been looking and debating for a long time and have heard good things about the new RIP9's.

It's probably a little more bike than I need but I don't race much anymore and would rather have a little extra than come up a bit short on travel and whatnot.

I've ridden a new Fuel EX 8 29" and a few others and they're nice. We're getting a Niner dealer in town any week now (supposedly) so I'm looking forward to trying a RIP finally. I'm also going to ride the usual Specialized suspects since they're nearby as well. Any pro's, cons, or things to look for or compare? I'd probably get a 2-3 star spec'd bike or equivalent if all goes as planned. Thanks!
    The good news is that you are looking a really nice bike!!!

The sweet spot for 29"er suspension is the 120-130mm range and the bike can be dialed for your local terrain with component selection and tire selection. You can go gnarly with a RIP (monster grab knobby tires and 140mm fork), or you can go XC with it (120mm fork and XC tires) - depending on your needs, desire and where you ride. I live in Iowa, so it makes sense that my terrain and trails are more XC oriented which is why my RIP is set up as it is. The amount of squish is oh so nice!

I ride an older version of the RIP 9 that I have been using for nearly all of my training and dirt rides since it arrived in October of 2009.

My original JET 9 was recalled in September of 2009 and while all JET 9 owners waited on the redesign, one of the options we had while we waited was to pick up the RIP 9 that had the newly designed tubes. That's how I got one and have been happy with it for nearly 5 years now.

My 2009 version is the beefy alloy version with about 115mm of rear travel paired with 120mm fork up front.

My size XL weighs 27.2 pounds as a 1 x 9. It certainly is set up Midwest XC race light for my uses. I run the Light-Bicycle AM rims tubeless with XC oriented tires - Renegade 2.3's which I dub the big velcro tires, and when paired with the travel of the RIP really are fast and keep the bike glued to the trail. The bike is so smooth and plush that you can really fly along since the bike soaks up whatever you throw at it.

5 years of nothing but fun to date on this full squish!

I'll probably get quite a few more years out of this frame, so based on how it climbs, rides, and is not overkill for my needs - I would highly suggest you give a go with a new RIP. You will smile for years.

mtbr member
    Cyclones, I was concerned about the same issues when I bought my RIP 2.5 years ago. I was worried it was too much bike for an all-arounder in our area. Stop worrying and get on one! I race a couple times a year on it (Cheq100 and Wausau24), the rest of the time it's just long XC rides. If I was to get another bike right now, it would be a another RIP.

If you wanna hook up and ride mine sometime, let me know...I have a 2010 Med with a Revelation and a 1x10 build.

mtbr member
    Listen to Bruce...I consulted with him before I bought mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I'm in Madison right now, but will be living in IA in the near future for good so it's good to hear of people in the area with them and liking them.

Nater, I'd love to give it a try especially if MM doesn't open soon here in town so I can test ride theirs. I'm not going to buy one in the next week or two, but I hope to have something by mid-late summer so I'll keep riding other bikes and looking.

mtbr member
    One other thing you might want to consider...the older models (2010 and 2011 I think at least) have a bit steeper geometry in the head angle at least. While a lot of riders (especially out west) always think slacker is better, I'm not convinced that's the case for our tighter woods riding.

You might want to look for a NOS 2011 frame and build up from there?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    One other thing you might want to consider...the older models (2010 and 2011 I think at least) have a bit steeper geometry in the head angle at least. While a lot of riders (especially out west) always think slacker is better, I'm not convinced that's the case for our tighter woods riding.

You might want to look for a NOS 2011 frame and build up from there?
    I have 3 friends on 2012 Rip9's & they are very nice bikes & they really like them, However 3 of us have the 2014 Rip9 & when often swap rides out on the trail & everyone agrees that the 2014 Rip9 is quite & upgrade over the 09-12 model.

It's lighter & pedals better & has more travel to soak up the hits.

It also feels much more alive when doing XC type trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Should I get a new RIP9?

Bruce, the stem and the clean build make that RIP look faaaast.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Spillway View Post
    Bruce, the stem and the clean build make that RIP look faaaast.
    It's fast. Always leaves me with the dilemma of which to race - the JET 9 or the RIP 9.

Trying to figure that very question out for tomorrow's race....

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have 3 friends on 2012 Rip9's & they are very nice bikes & they really like them, However 3 of us have the 2014 Rip9 & when often swap rides out on the trail & everyone agrees that the 2014 Rip9 is quite & upgrade over the 09-12 model.

It's lighter & pedals better & has more travel to soak up the hits.

It also feels much more alive when doing XC type trails.
    That's good to hear. I have a 2012 and have loved it (and still do), but did a demo weekend last weekend and realized there are some much more nimble 29ers out there now with 4+ inches of travel and all of a sudden, I feel slow and heavy when climbing on it now. The new 2014 RIP9 and RIP9 RDO are on my list to demo along with the Tallboy LTc, Fuel EX and RM Instinct. I need a stiff frame since I'm a clyde (240 lbs), but I want a lighter bike for the climbs, quick turning for the twisty sections / switchbacks, and the ability to soak up the hits on the downhills. The 2012 is a great bike but not quite as nimble as I'd like.