mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Should I bite on the 2010 RIP 9 sale frame

Seen a couple companies selling the 2010 RIP 9 frames for 1200 and change.

Should I bite at this price or hold off for the 2011??

Flaccid Member
    My crystal ball says do what ever feels most comfortable for you financially.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would buy one for you and one for me. That way we both win! I can PM you my address to send the bike to...

Virtus pre nummis
    Why would you want to spend $1200.00 on just a frame? You can buy a Vassago Bandersnatch for $350.00 which I would think is just as good! Put all your goodies on it for right at $2K and save yourself $1500.00!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!

COMBO - President
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf
    Why would you want to spend $1200.00 on just a frame? You can buy a Vassago Bandersnatch for $350.00 which I would think is just as good! Put all your goodies on it for right at $2K and save yourself $1500.00!

I have 2 Niners, one is RIP, you'll love it

mtbr member

Who is selling the bandersnatch frames for $350?

mtbr member
    Yes!!!!

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Yes you should. I am and its my first nice bike. I'm sruggling/learning with the build right now.

Always Learning
    And how does a Bandersnatch frame equate with a 120mm front and rear travel RIP 9 frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    And how does a Bandersnatch frame equate with a 120mm front and rear travel RIP 9 frame?

I'm curious too.

Virtus pre nummis
    I was quoted $350.00 for the Bandersnatch frame at Dallas Bike Works. They have two shops. The one on Abrams is the one I was dealing with. I can't answer the tech questions above I'll leave that to the experts on here.

beater
    I can't answer the tech questions above I'll leave that to the experts on here.
    Uh... I don't think that really qualifies as a tech question. OP asked about a 120mm FS frame, and you suggested a hardtail. The point is that you're comparing apples and almonds.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    Uh... I don't think that really qualifies as a tech question. OP asked about a 120mm FS frame, and you suggested a hardtail. The point is that you're comparing apples and almonds.
    It qualifies as a technecial question as far as I am concerned, especially since his question was whether he should spend $1200 on a bicycle frame! As far as being a 120mm frame or not I haven't the faintest idea and don't really care.

Paying $1200 for a frame is just plain foolish the way I see it! Like I have said on several occasions on this forum "A Fool and his money is soon parted!" and if the shoe fits, wear it!

code: mtbr2011
    as far as i know, nothing is new in 2011 with the rip. i think 1200 is a great price for that frame. i love my new rip.
    it's only a closeout color choice - the milkdud brown

mtbr member
    It qualifies as a technecial question as far as I am concerned, especially since his question was whether he should spend $1200 on a bicycle frame! As far as being a 120mm frame or not I haven't the faintest idea and don't really care.

Paying $1200 for a frame is just plain foolish the way I see it! Like I have said on several occasions on this forum "A Fool and his money is soon parted!" and if the shoe fits, wear it!
    $1200 is certainly very expensive for a hardtail frame, but it is actually the cheapest full-suspension 29er frame with 5" of suspension. If you would like to call everyone on this board with a full-suspension bike (or any expensive bike) foolish then that's your prerogative Maybe they have the budget to buy one on the spot without being foolish, maybe they saved up for a long time, maybe they eschew other expenses to enjoy their passion for biking? Maybe they aren't fools at all and you are assuming

To the people who only know about $50 Walmart bikes and barely scrape by on minimum wage jobs, even your new bike might be considered foolishly expensive, especially since you now have two expensive bikes!

mtbr member
    If you like the geometry, go for it. You can't even compare it to the Vassagos...different league and the Bander is just another HT. I think it is an great value. I personally do not care at all for steep headangles anymore but if you like a higher BB, you can slacken the HA a bit by using a 140mm fork. The HA may not bother you at all.

beater
    As far as being a 120mm frame or not I haven't the faintest idea and don't really care.
    Then why bother posting in this thread?
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member

steel is...

Quote Originally Posted by wobbem
    I'm curious too.
    well...you know. Or maybe you don't.

COMBO - President

Troll alert! Somebody looking for an online argument by posting way off-topic in a thread totally unrelated. Where is that ignore button?