• 01-07-2013
    confused
    Short travel 29er that shreads?
    Looking for a new 29er that I can ride 50, 75, 100 miles and still have a little fun throwing it around. I'm currently on a Lenzsport Lunchbox which is a great bike but not real fun for long XC stuff. Just wondering what shorter travel 29ers people are riding that they feel has good pedaling efficiency and still can take a beating. I also like the slacker head angles on shorter stays. I just test rode the new Pivot 429 carbon and it seemed up to the challenge but didn't get to ride it to long, so...
  • 01-08-2013
    drz400sm
    My vote goes for the jet9 rdo. Depending on your terrain or mood...The bike works awesome with a 100mm or 120mm fork up front. I've got both travel forks that I've been swapping back and forth. I'm also a big fan of the anthem x. If niner didn't surprise me with the frame sale going on right now..I'd be an anthem x owner. But considering the current jet rdo pricing..it would be hard to find a better bang for your buck.
  • 01-08-2013
    TwoTone
    You just need to get out a ride them and decide. I learned that the hard way.
    You're going to get such a varied set of answers that the whole which bike threads I personally think are really useless in the end.

Does it really matter that I tell you I'm loving my TBc with a 120 on the front? There are people that feel the bike sucks. Some people swear by Specialized FSR, sold mine to get the TBc.

In the end it still comes down to which one are YOU going to like better, so demo all the ones you can and good luck.
  • 01-08-2013
    tao
    What about Lenz Mammoth?
  • 01-08-2013
    zonoskar
    Rocky Mountain Element 999 RSL by far! Best bike I have tried and I currently own one (although an alu 970).
  • 01-08-2013
    John Kuhl
    drz400sm, on the Jet9RDO which fork do you like the
    best? 100mm or 120mm for trail riding?
  • 01-08-2013
    drz400sm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    drz400sm, on the Jet9RDO which fork do you like the
    best? 100mm or 120mm for trail riding?

Hey, i dont have much saddle time with either fork yet. I just got the frame last week and have been on 2 rides with each travel option. They both work great and really feels like the frame was built around both travel lengths. No obvious negatives for either one. From what I can tell...i think i will be sticking with the 120 up front for now. You dont really sacrifice anything like climbing or speed with the extra travel. It just makes it a little more playful for trail riding, which is majority of my riding at the moment. Once i get back into race shape I will probably experiment with the 100mm fork a little more...but even then...i think that extra travel is definitely a bonus. Im coming off a hardtail so my opinion my be slightly biassed, since im used to getting beat up when riding. My back is loving the extra plushness.

There are a few other guys on this forum who have a lot more experience. You might wanna browse in the niner section. I posted a thread a few weeks ago about which travel option they preferred...and seemed like guys who built the bike themselves, went with a 120mm. Guys who purchased the bike complete had the 100mm fork. You really cant go wrong with either. I will report back after a few more rides when everything is dialed in on the new frame.
  • 01-09-2013
    rushman3
    Salsa Spearfish, last years frame can be found for $809-1090, depending on the model (universal cycles)