mtbr member

Upset Short term replacement 29ER

Hey all! Long time listener but first time caller here... I recently had to replace my '12 stumpy ( just a second... I still get choked up when talking about this) which was stolen last month. As I was not planning on having to replace it, my budget for a new bike was not there at all. I ended up having to settle on a Hardrock sport 29er as a short term fix. As can be expected, not a happy camper at all.... I am trying to at least get this thing somewhat happy on the trails (though I do not believe it likes them too much). The seatpost, saddle and wheels were first to go. With the help of some riding buddies that was taken care of on the cheap. The same may be true of the Suntour fork. I need to know whether the '13 Hardrock will support this: RockShox Recon Gold TK - Solo Air 100 mm, (9mm QR, (1-1/8, 29 - Inch),TurnKey Crown Adjust)? I am hoping it will as it would at least get me back somewhat to a comfortable ride again. The drivetrain..., well let's not go there right now ....

mtbr member
    I suppose I should rephrase my question. What fork am I looking for out of the Rockshox Recon lineup that will jive with the Hardrock frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Recon Gold 100mm will be a major improvement A used Reba 2010-12 will work.
    You can get a Raidon or Epicon from Nick at Suntour in the upgrade program, info in Beginners.
    I like the Manitou Tower Pro. You have to look for the best deal.

mtbr member
    Thanks eb! I just have a friend in our riding group that mentioned having the Recon in his workshop laying around. Very good deal that I cannot pass up if it worked. I believe my only issue is whether I need a tapered or straight. I think I have a straight as it does not clarify or clearly state that it is tapered and if I am not mistaken, Tapered is usually reserved for high end bikes. (not the entry level Hardrocks)...

In any case, thanks for the input and I do like the manitou towers. Another rider from a different group has that tower on his ride. Very smooth indeed...

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    straight.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Welcome to the Forums!

Yes you will need a straight steerer. I've actually got a 2011 Reba with blackbox MC on my Hardrock and although it had increased travel (at 100mm) it totally transformed the bike in a better way. I did notice that the front end was a little higher but it was not 20mm higher. Bear in mind that putting a longer fork than the stock fork will void the lifetime warranty on the frame (unless you stay with in 10% of the original travel.) But yes, you need a straight steerer and the Recon you listed will work just fine on the Hardrock and will be more than enough to tie you over until you can save up for another bike (that is the vibe I'm getting from your post). Really any of the forks that are recomended around here, such as a tower or reba or recon, will be a nice upgrade. Just try to keep the fork to either 100 or 80mm and it absolutely must be a straight steerer.

Also, if you're worried about the drivetrain, why not go singlespeed? It will get rid of most of your drivetrain problems as you would only be keeping the crankset and you can find the kits online for about 20-30 bucks. Installation is super simple and riding singlespeed will make you a better rider.

These are the two changes that I have made on my Hardrock and I haven't looked back since.

mtbr member
    ding ding ding. We have a winner.... Thanks Gigantic!

mtbr member
    Reedfe,
    Thanks for the "fine print" details. I am not too terribly concerned with the warranty on this thing. I do appreciate the info though.

You are right on the money regarding the single speed concept. That is my plan with this bike. I am not dumping a ton of money into the drivetrain on this one. I am buying another bike in a month. The way I figure it, I do have an entry level bike, however I have not missed a beat on my trail time (just fallen to the rear of the pack as opposed to the front). Thanks to good friends (and $200 in parts) I have something that resembles what I had for the time being.
    Thanks again!!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    The drive train is definitely a weak link on the hardrock. Ultimately, I ended up pretzeling the rear derailleur and canned the front because it shifted so poorly and I kept breaking chains. I'm running it as a 1 x 8 and usually have 35mm road tires on it for urban commuting because it is so unsatisfactory as a trail bike. Part of me wants to put on a rigid carbon fork and convert to single speed, but the sensible part of me refuses to spend another cent on it. Ymmv.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram