mtbr member
    May 2008

Short List of Three -Evolve -Tall Boy - Jet9

Hi
    Thanks for reading.

I think I now have it down to a shortlist of 3

Advice on which would be really appreciated.

Me first - 54 6 feet 6 inch 240lb ex world level athlete -1700 peak watts
    Riding - UK 70% single track but would like to do more trail centre type red/black runs.Dont get the wheels of the ground at the moment but would like to be able to get a little "air" - 2 feet!
    Like to attack the roots ,rocks and bumps but also enjoy technical climbing.

Please note I would like to put my Carbon lefty on the bike of choice reduced to around 90mm of travel

My short list:

6 month old XL Jet 9 - will cost me around $1000
    12 month old XL Ellsworth Evolve - not sure what it will cost yet
    New XXL - Will cost me $3600 but due to our bike to work scheme here in the UK - I will only pay $1800 real cost

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Carbon & Ti rule
    None of these

If not for the lefty the Rip9 is just begging for you,6 foot 6 & 240 lb with peak power of 1700 watts for the extra 2 lb the bike will handle you & man would it be fast.

IMHO out of those bikes the Rip9 has the best grip & will work with you.

the Jet9 is a very good bike but at your size do yourself a favour & buy a bike that is build like you are.

Quote Originally Posted by cannondalerugby5
    Hi
    Thanks for reading.

I think I now have it down to a shortlist of 3

Advice on which would be really appreciated.

Me first - 54 6 feet 6 inch 240lb ex world level athlete -1700 peak watts
    Riding - UK 70% single track but would like to do more trail centre type red/black runs.Dont get the wheels of the ground at the moment but would like to be able to get a little "air" - 2 feet!
    Like to attack the roots ,rocks and bumps but also enjoy technical climbing.

Please note I would like to put my Carbon lefty on the bike of choice reduced to around 90mm of travel

My short list:

6 month old XL Jet 9 - will cost me around $1000
    12 month old XL Ellsworth Evolve - not sure what it will cost yet
    New XXL - Will cost me $3600 but due to our bike to work scheme here in the UK - I will only pay $1800 real cost

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

11 is one louder than 10
    Wouldn't touch the evolve at 240 lbs. I found the rear on the 2011 to be flexy at my 190 lbs. Too bad as the rest of the bike is nice.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    6'3 245 and ride Tallboy. hence my choice for TB, super stiff, light, and loves xc and climbing. if you are looking more xc oriented go TB all the way. now if all mountain is what you are looking for maybe the RIP9. look at pivot 429's also.

mtbr member
    At 6'6" I would think fit would be the most important thing.

Try to find a place to demo these frames, but more then likely you will have to work with a qualified shop to fit you to the bike. You may not find a frame that will work well for you off the shelf.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Steve,

Fit will be of the highest priority and wheel strength.
    I'm 43 years old mostly XC rider sitting at 6'2" with long legs and arms. I test rode the RIP(120mm fork) & JET(100mm) in size large. I liked the fit of the RIP but the JET was a tad tight for me. The XL Tallboy was just right in the size for me with the Fox Talas (120mm-95mm). The adjustable fork makes it nice for handling tight technical climbs but more trail bike'ish for the downhill bits. I catch some air (max 2-3 ft) but mostly enjoy the bike for the miles I can roll. I only had the bike a week and it has been a blast.

Have fun trying out bikes.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Rugby 5, sounds like you were a 2nd row?

I'm also an ex pro 2nd row (mid 90s) from Wales (now living in BC), a bit shorter but very similar weight and power. I've broken so much stuff, I ended up buying a pivot mach 429. Bike is amazing - stiffer compared to my other bikes, pedals unbelievably well, and feels indestructible. I did the Trans Rockies on it last year with zero problems. I heard a lot of damage to the carbon bikes but mine was golden.

I've only ridden the a friends tallboy on a short loop so I wouldn't criticise it at all....but I bought the Pivot.

On a side note, I'd stay well away from Hope hubs. I've sheared too many of them to have any faith in them for a powerful man. I've got I9 now and they're amazing.

Sorry to throw another bike into the mix, but it may help?

Horse

Too easily annoyed.
    I was thinking the same thing you were Mederz. I was as high as 235 lbs a couple of years ago, and really liked the Pivot 429 for someone at that weight or more. Add some I9's and bobs your uncle.
    The Tallboy and Jet9 are nice as well though, so use fit, test ride, and warranty service as a final decision maker. But at your size, you would be smart to at least test the 429.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    In addition to the Pivot Mach 429, I'd throw a Sultan into the 'should ride before I decide' mix.

And make sure your budget includes a well built wheelset with something really strong in the rear hub department. You're gonna need it.

1700w. . . . . . .

Trail Junkie
    Three different choices.

Like others said:
    The Niner RIP9, very good option.
    The Pivot 429, also very good option
    Santa Cruz just released an all aluminum model Tallboy that may be a little more durable...but I doubt it. I have the carbon, but I am only 175lb.\

Personally, at your size, I would go for the RIP9. It is pretty rugged and also has the 150mm axle option which will allow you to build an even beefier wheel with your prized Hope hubs
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I used to easily squat over 600lbs. I don't know what my wattage is but I have broken 10 frames over 10 years. I have the TB and 429. I still have both and I would have to say the Pivot is tougher. How ever I haven't heard of many TB failures. For myself my El Rey and 429 are better day in and day out trail bikes.
    Last edited by DrDon; 04-10-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon
    I used to easily squat over 600lbs. I don't know what my wattage is but I have broken 10 frames over 10 years. I have TB and 429. I still have both and I would have to say the Pivot is tougher.

I thought your Tall Boy was for sale on Ebay before or it sold already last October? You broke both triangles on it, the front, and then the rear, or was it the other way around?
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 04-10-2011 at 09:12 PM.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Remember the woman who is bad for you? Used carbon with a history is a pain to sell and I don't need the money so it will be regulated to periodic XC rides, with my SS and 429 being utilized as trail bikes. Hopefully with the on the run frame updates and SC continued good CS, I won't have too many issues.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi David

Demo would be my choice but in the UK there is not a Niner XL frame never mind a bike!
    I have found an xxl Tallboy frame but that s 100 miles away
    Wish I lived over there

Steve
    QUOTE=DavidR1]At 6'6" I would think fit would be the most important thing.

Try to find a place to demo these frames, but more then likely you will have to work with a qualified shop to fit you to the bike. You may not find a frame that will work well for you off the shelf.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi Mike
    In this country you dont have the ability to try before you buy
    There are just no bikes
    You order and hope
    Hence the TB and the fact it will take the Lefty
    Steve

I'm 43 years old mostly XC rider sitting at 6'2" with long legs and arms. I test rode the RIP(120mm fork) & JET(100mm) in size large. I liked the fit of the RIP but the JET was a tad tight for me. The XL Tallboy was just right in the size for me with the Fox Talas (120mm-95mm). The adjustable fork makes it nice for handling tight technical climbs but more trail bike'ish for the downhill bits. I catch some air (max 2-3 ft) but mostly enjoy the bike for the miles I can roll. I only had the bike a week and it has been a blast.

Have fun trying out bikes.

Cheers,
    Mike[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi Horse

Thanks for advice
    Yep second row England and Lions mid 80s
    Will now go and check Pivot - Hadnt heard of it.
    Have Hope on my rigid and so far so good

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mederz
    Hey Rugby 5, sounds like you were a 2nd row?

I'm also an ex pro 2nd row (mid 90s) from Wales (now living in BC), a bit shorter but very similar weight and power. I've broken so much stuff, I ended up buying a pivot mach 429. Bike is amazing - stiffer compared to my other bikes, pedals unbelievably well, and feels indestructible. I did the Trans Rockies on it last year with zero problems. I heard a lot of damage to the carbon bikes but mine was golden.

I've only ridden the a friends tallboy on a short loop so I wouldn't criticise it at all....but I bought the Pivot.

On a side note, I'd stay well away from Hope hubs. I've sheared too many of them to have any faith in them for a powerful man. I've got I9 now and they're amazing.

Sorry to throw another bike into the mix, but it may help?

Horse

mtbr member
    May 2008

Thanks - Demo

Thanks for all the replies guys,
    You are all quite rightly pointing me towards a try before you buy.
    This is not possible in the UK
    I have found 1 xxl TB frame new
    A RIP9 would be 6 weeks and I have to buy before they order
    I would really like to put my Lefty on something hence the TB
    A great guy let me demo his WFO locally and I really enjoyed it.
    He has a frame that I could buy at a good price but I think its just a bit over the top for what I need.
    I would also have to buy front and rear suspension
    I am going to look at this Pivot that many of you have recommended

Keep the advice coming
    Thanks
    Steve

mtbr member
    Just road a 429 and a Tallboy back to back on trails with tight technical rocky climbs and much of the same on the descents. Both bikes worked well but I felt the Tallboy was better.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    the wfo9 is just slightly more travel than a rip, rides uphills really well for what is, that might your ticket!!! think about it! i went from a jet9 to the wfo9 and havent regretted it...

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    the wfo9 is just slightly more travel than a rip, rides uphills really well for what is, that might your ticket!!! think about it! i went from a jet9 to the wfo9 and havent regretted it...

But he has a 90mm Cannondale Lefty fork laying around that he wants to use with the frame he buys. A 100mm fork on a TallBoy is too short, most here run 120mm's on trail bikes in So California, and a Pivot is as well a 4.5 inch bike also.

If he goes with a bigger rear travel bike, he'll have to find a different fork with more travel to compliment the travel in the rear end, which means putting the Cannondale Lefty out to pasture or up for sale.

If he wants to use the Lefty at 90mm, he needs to find a frame with rear travel at 70mm to 90mm, or thereabouts.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 04-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    You also went to a Cane Creek Double Barrel coil and oil shock and a Manitou Dorado 180mm fork, double what his Cannondale Lefty at 90mm will travel. Two different beasts for two different purposes.

mtbr member
    Steve,

Whereabouts are you in the UK?

I am 6'6" and currently 230lbs and currently ride;

1. XXL TallBoy - it is very sweet - probably the best bike I have ridden, but with my weight I'd definitely feel guilty about hucking 3ft drops with it regularly (even with Flows). I have the Fox TALAS fork 95mm-120mm. As others have mentioned, I don't think you'd get the best out of a TB with your short Lefty.
    2. XXL Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er - it is more trail oriented and correspondingly heavier. I have just got an Industry9 Enduro wheelset for this for rougher trails, and am looking forward to stressing it a bit.
    3. XXL Stumpjumper HT 29er - for flat trails and when I am not feeling heavy. (This bike is also very ugly in XXL)

I have also had a RIP9 on order for 4 months now.... Jungle in the UK don't appear to be able to get hold of any of the new frames in raw.

If you are anywhere near Perth you'd be welcome to try these for size.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi David

You are right the WFO is a great option
    I have not ruled it out
    It appears as if my Lefty is not going to fit any of the prospective bikes - sad
    Thanks
    Steve

QUOTE=david8613]the wfo9 is just slightly more travel than a rip, rides uphills really well for what is, that might your ticket!!! think about it! i went from a jet9 to the wfo9 and havent regretted it...[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi

Thanks for your very kind offer

I am in Durham so I think its only 200 miles to Perth

Could you pleae pm me with your telephone number

Thanks

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Chato Fan Club
    Steve,

Whereabouts are you in the UK?

I am 6'6" and currently 230lbs and currently ride;

1. XXL TallBoy - it is very sweet - probably the best bike I have ridden, but with my weight I'd definitely feel guilty about hucking 3ft drops with it regularly (even with Flows). I have the Fox TALAS fork 95mm-120mm. As others have mentioned, I don't think you'd get the best out of a TB with your short Lefty.
    2. XXL Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er - it is more trail oriented and correspondingly heavier. I have just got an Industry9 Enduro wheelset for this for rougher trails, and am looking forward to stressing it a bit.
    3. XXL Stumpjumper HT 29er - for flat trails and when I am not feeling heavy. (This bike is also very ugly in XXL)

I have also had a RIP9 on order for 4 months now.... Jungle in the UK don't appear to be able to get hold of any of the new frames in raw.

If you are anywhere near Perth you'd be welcome to try these for size.