mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Shopping for a full-suspension 29er - Trek Rumblefish Elite and Kona Satori

I'm upgrading from a hardtail 26" bike to a full suspension 29" and I was almost ready to buy the Trek Rumblefish Elite but now I am considering other options. I came across the Kona Satori and it seems like a better bike in comparison to the Rumblefish with only a small increase in the price tag. More travel in the front and rear suspension plus a few better components. The bikes are still similiar though and I'm wondering which of the 2 are more recommended. I would also be interested in hearing about what other bikes compete in this space. I like the idea of having some consistency amongst the components (i.e. the Satori has full Shimano SLX). I ride mostly single track here in New Hampshire and I would like to purchase something from a local shop, I don't feel comfortable buying anything from an online retailer. Please share your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Might be a bit of a drive for you, but JRA cycles in Medford Ma used to have a Satori demo for rent. Lots of single track near by too. I believe they credit you the demo fee if you buy a bike from them as well. Great folks at that shop and they are the local Kona dealer.

They'll also have my shiny new Satori frame arriving next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Call your local shops and see if you can test ride them. If it takes 6 weeks for a satori to show up at your LBS (if they'll order it in your size without commitment to buy), would that change your decision?

Just from spec-sheet shopping, I thought the Satori came with a much nicer build than the rumpefish elite: Fox 34 140mm fork instead of Fox 32 Evolution (that means budget) series 120mm, CB Kronolog dropper post instead of no dropper post. You could make up the ~$300 (?) difference between the two putting a dropper on the Trek.

I ended up deciding to spend less on a hardtail I'm going to build up from the frame... although I'm waiting about as long!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Might be a bit of a drive for you, but JRA cycles in Medford Ma used to have a Satori demo for rent. Lots of single track near by too. I believe they credit you the demo fee if you buy a bike from them as well. Great folks at that shop and they are the local Kona dealer.

They'll also have my shiny new Satori frame arriving next week.
    Thanks. It would be nice to buy it here in NH to avoid sales tax but I might take advantage of their demo if they still have it. The Eastern Mountain Sports in my town also carries the Satori but I'm not sure if they offer a demo.

Were you able to buy just the frame itself or are you receiving some type of warranty replacement?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blawson View Post
    Call your local shops and see if you can test ride them. If it takes 6 weeks for a satori to show up at your LBS (if they'll order it in your size without commitment to buy), would that change your decision?

Just from spec-sheet shopping, I thought the Satori came with a much nicer build than the rumpefish elite: Fox 34 140mm fork instead of Fox 32 Evolution (that means budget) series 120mm, CB Kronolog dropper post instead of no dropper post. You could make up the ~$300 (?) difference between the two putting a dropper on the Trek.

I ended up deciding to spend less on a hardtail I'm going to build up from the frame... although I'm waiting about as long!
    Thanks. Is the 6 week lead time typical for these bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by livefreeandride View Post
    Were you able to buy just the frame itself or are you receiving some type of warranty replacement?
    Frame only. In stock wherever they're warehoused and seven days shipping.