mtbr member

Shimano XT wheels Vs. Mavic 719 with Deore hubs

My Sette Razzo came with Mavic 719 wheels with Deore hubs. I'm not a fan of the engagement of the Deore hubs and was considering upgrading the wheels. Plus the wheels are not tubeless ready and are a bit of pain to get the tire bead set in when I set it up for tubeless.

I am considering getting the Shimano XT wheels (WH-MT75).

Are the Shimano XT wheels considered a big step up from the Mavic wheels?

I can get the XT wheels for $275 shipped.

Anyone know how much the Mavic wheels weigh? I can't find info on the weight and don't want to take off my tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus

not really. you might save a little weight, but not much. if you want to spend closer to 400 you can get pretty much any stans rims with the ztr hubs. if you look you can find them for less than they are listed on stans website. stans wheels will be considerable lighter, and they are super easy to set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    not really. you might save a little weight, but not much. if you want to spend closer to 400 you can get pretty much any stans rims with the ztr hubs. if you look you can find them for less than they are listed on stans website. stans wheels will be considerable lighter, and they are super easy to set up tubeless.

Any idea the weight of the Mavics with Deore hubs?

I can't find the specific wheels. But I think they are over 2500g, Which would make them much heavier than the XTs.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The XT wheels will be lighter, have more engagement points and set up tubeless more easily. 275 dollars is much less than wholesale price. I haven't had any problems with mine. They aren't perfect (narrow rims and non-convertible hubs) but most of the people who rag on them seem not to have owned and ridden them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    The XT wheels will be lighter, have more engagement points and set up tubeless more easily. 275 dollars is much less than wholesale price. I haven't had any problems with mine. They aren't perfect (narrow rims and non-convertible hubs) but most of the people who rag on them seem not to have owned and ridden them.
    Is the valve opening big enough for Schrader or is it setup for Presta?

Exactly how are you running your tubeless setup? Do you need a rim strip or special valve?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I own a set. Set up for presta. I'm running non-UST tires - Exiwolf in the rear, Rampage up front. No rim strip, just sealant. They both aired up really quick. I previously had a Weirwolf LT up front, which also aired up easily.

Mine have been problem free for months, bombing through some pretty tough trails. For $275, I say buy 'em.

mtbr member
    Any idea the weight of the Mavics with Deore hubs?

I can't find the specific wheels. But I think they are over 2500g, Which would make them much heavier than the XTs.
    if the mavics are over 2500 make the switch. that's really heavy

M_S i wasn't ragging on the xt hubs. i rode a set laced to arches for 3 months. they are nice, but they are not light by any means. you also need either centerlock rotors or addaptors. not a bid deal, but its still an added expense. my stans ztr hubs laced to arches weigh 1845 grams which is really good for under 400.

mtbr member
    The Shimano XT Wheels weigh 1810g (w/o skewers).

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm using TNT Saguaros right now which hold air without sealant. The rims are UST, so no rim strip is needed. I'm using the included presta valve stems. I suppose you could drill them for Schrader but I don't see the point.

The centerlock hub thing isn't a big deal to me but you're right that it is worth mentioning. I've been using the cheap Alligator adaptors for a year with no issues on Avid and Hayes rotors.

I'm sure the stans setup is nice too. A big advantage to them is spoke availability, and truing. The XTs use poprietary spoke nipples and straight pull spokes, though there are two spoke wrenches included. I've barely had to use them though. They're strong wheels, for what they are.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot guys.

Just ordered the XT wheels and the rotor adapters for the 6 bolt rotors.

Plays with tools
    My Sette Razzo came with Mavic 719 wheels with Deore hubs. I'm not a fan of the engagement of the Deore hubs and was considering upgrading the wheels. Plus the wheels are not tubeless ready and are a bit of pain to get the tire bead set in when I set it up for tubeless.
    The engagement on all shimano hubs is pretty much the same. Some of them are built differently but they all have the same points of engagement (which people make way to big of a deal about) if you really don't like the deore hub the XT isn't going to change anything that relates to that.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    The engagement on all shimano hubs is pretty much the same. Some of them are built differently but they all have the same points of engagement (which people make way to big of a deal about) if you really don't like the deore hub the XT isn't going to change anything that relates to that.
    Incorrect, the new Shimano XT hubs that come on the kit wheels are NOT the same as the Deore/XT hubs in question. The hubs that are included on the kit wheels are not available separately, and have 24 spokes, with MUCH better engagement than the hubs you're thinking of. I'm riding the XT 29er kit wheels and they're great. UST with no rim strips or anything, light weight, and are still holding true despite probably riding them harder than what some would deem "XC" riding. I had heard of these hubs being problematic but mine have been awesome. Been riding them about 5 or 6 months now, in everything from hub deep water to dry sandy singletrack. For what it's worth, they seem to roll really fast also. They are a good value if you can find them on closeout for under 300 bucks like I did.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Incorrect, the new Shimano XT hubs that come on the kit wheels are NOT the same as the Deore/XT hubs in question. The hubs that are included on the kit wheels are not available separately, and have 24 spokes, with MUCH better engagement than the hubs you're thinking of. I'm riding the XT 29er kit wheels and they're great. UST with no rim strips or anything, light weight, and are still holding true despite probably riding them harder than what some would deem "XC" riding. I had heard of these hubs being problematic but mine have been awesome. Been riding them about 5 or 6 months now, in everything from hub deep water to dry sandy singletrack. For what it's worth, they seem to roll really fast also. They are a good value if you can find them on closeout for under 300 bucks like I did.
    I've wondered how those things have held up. Glad to hear they're treating you well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mine have been durable as well. I range between 150 and 160 pounds and ride XC on a hardtail, but have cased it off many jumps and rocky descents without issue. I'm sure a larger rider would be more likely to have issues, but there are lots of factors. No freehub issues as of yet, after a year.

My experience with high end wheelsets (in my mind these qualify but obviously there are much mroe expensive setups by far) is limited. Usually I go for something like an XT or LX hub traditionally laced to whatever rim. Same for my cross bike, on which I have Ultegra hubs and delgado Cross rims. I bought these wheels because I thought they were a good deal, but was a little wary. So far I'm completely happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    non-convertible hubs
    The M775's are going to be convertable to 142mm x 12mm with an axle swap. Not sure how readily available the axle is going to be, but it's the same axle as used by the XTR and those are being released in 142mm x 12mm next year.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    I've wondered how those things have held up. Glad to hear they're treating you well.

Actually the XT hubs of yesteryear were what forced me away from Shimano completely for the past few years. I picked up SRAM stuff and never looked back. I blew up 5 XT hubs. I had 4 freehub failures and 1 bent axle. That, on top of the proprietary nature of everything Shimano was making a few years ago forced me away from their products completely. But if this wheelset holds up it may just bring me back on board. So far it's a great combination.. UST, lighter than most alternatives, and has good engagement. Time will tell in regards to durability.. my XC wheels are abused by water crossings, tons of Florida sand, and riding more aggressively than I probably should on a lightweight XC wheelset. I am not a big guy though, probably 160 pounds geared up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Love my WH-MT75, feels a lot stiffer than the Easton XC 2. Only issue is finding replacement spokes and the spoke price. Ended up paying around $10/ea for a few spokes and nuts from petracycles. Only place online that had some instock, still waiting on one more spoke on backorder. Crazy expensive.

Rider and Wrench
    Second Jim311- The Straight Pull spoke/hub Shimano XT 29er Wheelset is far better than one would think. I ran them on a rigid and was 210 lbs or so at the time, they spun up very well and were surprisingly stiff and responsive. If it were't for the qr only front hub I would not have sold them- I run Hope/Arch/Flow and Industry 9/ Flow and can't fault the XT's especially for the current price- If any thing they felt like theyspin up faster than any others I have used-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Fyi

I just got a really good deal on some King/Arch wheels from a friend so I'm swapping some wheels around and therefore I'm selling the XT MT75 29er wheelset off my wife's bike if anyone is interested. I planned on putting it on the classifieds in the morning and just thought I would give anyone a heads up if they're interested. They really are great wheels and a bargain, these probably don't have 150 miles on them and I'm including a pair of centerlock rotors.

mtbr member
    Do the new XT wheels come trueor do they need to be trued when they're brand new?

mtbr member
    They come true. Riding them since early spring, and I haven't needed to true mine yet.

mtbr member
    There's a tiny little hole on the outside of the rim on the rear XT wheel. It's on the drive side. Is that normal or a defect?

Mine has it too. I'm not sure what it's for to be honest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There's a tiny little hole on the outside of the rim on the rear XT wheel. It's on the drive side. Is that normal or a defect?

There should be one on both wheels, it's a weep hole so water can get out. I spent time riding through a creek on a ride one day and when I put my bike on top of the car it looked like it was taking a piss on me. That's what made me notice them, it's normal.

Never trust a fart
    I've been on a set of the XT 29er wheels all year. I absolutely love them. I'm not the smoothest rider and they have remained true the entire year. I'm running them tubeless with a set of Specialized The Captain Control 2Bliss tires. They are a tad narrow in the rim width, but very stiff, and the spin up great.

mtbr member
    I noticed the rear makes a ping sound (like plucking an open accoustic guitar string) when I hit big roots at high speeds.

Is that normal?

Never trust a fart
    Mine "talk" a little bit over rocky/rooty sections. I've been over the wheels a 100 times. No signs of damage or going out of true. So I'm going to give it a "normal" classification for the ping noise. Nothing I worry about.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I am considering getting the Shimano XT wheels (WH-MT75).

I can get the XT wheels for $275 shipped.

Anyone know how much the Mavic wheels weigh? I can't find info on the weight and don't want to take off my tubeless setup.
    I just discovered a reason NOT to buy the XT wheels or XT 770/775 hubs.

You can not get replacement cones. Nobody stocks spare parts and Shimano offers the cones only as a complete axle assembly--if you can even find that--for about $40.

I may have to trash an entire hub for the lack of one cone, in an otherwise perfectly sound wheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trash the whole hub instead of just buying a 40 dollar axle assembly?

Trash the whole hub instead of just buying a 40 dollar axle assembly?
    Which currently are unavailable in the US through the usual distributors.
    mtbtires.com

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Which currently are unavailable in the US through the usual distributors.
    Hey shig, hang onto your remaining good cone. I have a set of the Shimano wheels. Thanks.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have 2 bikes and 4 wheel sets. My M775's are my least favorite. All my other sets have various Stans rims.

The good: many points of engagement, strong, stiff, aero (if that matters?), no tape needed for tubeless, great bearings, excellent finish quality on rim.

The bad: heavy (over 200 grams heavier than the stock Laser Lite/Arch wheels that came on my bike), especially the rim which makes them accelerate slow compared to Stans rims, no removable valve core which makes it really hard to add sealant since the bead seals so well and the channel is shallow. They specifically say not to use sealant too and make it very hard to put it in (another example of Shimano engineers trying to tell us how to live). Expensive and sometimes unobtainable repair parts.

The utter failure of these wheels is indicative of the price of $275. They were around $800 originally and when I bought mine I got them for $545 which seemed like a great deal at the time. I have noticed in the last year that almost every place is selling them for less than $400 sometimes much less. That should tell you all you need to know. Basically, most Stans builds will cost around $500 and these wheels are worth about half that much in my opinion.

mtbr member
    I'm running a mixture of homebrew sealant stans sealant in my XT wheels. Am I supposed to not run any sealant? is it safe to run sealant in the XT's?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Hey shig, hang onto your remaining good cone. I have a set of the Shimano wheels. Thanks.

--Sparty
    I was going to give you a heads up, Sparty. Service those hubs regularly and adjust as soon as needed.

I will likely fix this hub and use it until the rim dies (and the second wheel that is OK).

One of the issues is the left and right side cones are different. My left is toast. The axle assemblies, including cones, for the 770 and 775 hubs are not interchangeable, either. At this point, I would have to buy a new hub just for the cone unless I order from overseas.

Any future hub purchases will be from companies that make all of the replacement parts readily available.
    mtbtires.com

I'm running a mixture of homebrew sealant stans sealant in my XT wheels. Am I supposed to not run any sealant? is it safe to run sealant in the XT's?
    Sealant is to make tubeless ready tires airtight. Tubeless rims and the tire/rim interface hold air without it.
    mtbtires.com

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have been running a small amount of sealant (1 ounce) for a year. I have Geax TNT tires that are not quite the full tubeless type. They hold air well and I have not had any issues. The rims appear to be powder coated inside and out so I would not expect the small amount of ammonia in most sealants to effect them. The Shimano party line is not to use sealant, but they are wanting you to go the full tubeless route with tires that weigh a ton.

This wheelset is one of the biggest disappointments ever. On paper, they looked like a really good wheelset and I bought them thinking I would really like them. After riding them off and on for a year I can only say that they are my least favorite wheelset. I have them mounted with Geax TNT Barro Race tires and they are still heavier than my Laser Light/Arch wheelset with Prowlers by a few grams and the Prowlers probably weigh easily 200 grams more than the Barro's and have significantly more knobs.

bike tester
    where did you guys find these wheels for $275 ???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    where did you guys find these wheels for $275 ???
    Competetive cyclist with coupon code "TDF22". $255

bike tester
    thanks.

i hope they ship to europe.

mtbr member
    I just discovered a reason NOT to buy the XT wheels or XT 770/775 hubs.

You can not get replacement cones. Nobody stocks spare parts and Shimano offers the cones only as a complete axle assembly--if you can even find that--for about $40.

I may have to trash an entire hub for the lack of one cone, in an otherwise perfectly sound wheel.
    Are you sure you can't use cones from other Shimano hubs? I have found that Shimano's cross compatability tables are very limited and don't reflect what can be used in practice.

I have mixed cones and hubs from XT to sub Deore and found most work perfectly well. Occassionally I've had to shim the drive side to maintain the locknut to rotor distance needed for IS disc brakes. I have not played with XT770/775 hubs so they might be very different.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Are you sure you can't use cones from other Shimano hubs? I have found that Shimano's cross compatability tables are very limited and don't reflect what can be used in practice.

I have mixed cones and hubs from XT to sub Deore and found most work perfectly well. Occassionally I've had to shim the drive side to maintain the locknut to rotor distance needed for IS disc brakes. I have not played with XT770/775 hubs so they might be very different.

Tim
    Positive.
    The 775 hub axle, cones and lock nuts are extremely different.
    mtbtires.com

Never trust a fart
    Positive.
    The 775 hub axle, cones and lock nuts are extremely different.

Shiggy is correct. The XT hubs use a hollow aluminum axle with oversized cones. Way different than the 9mm hollow steel axle usually used.

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Shiggy is correct. The XT hubs use a hollow aluminum axle with oversized cones. Way different than the 9mm hollow steel axle usually used.
    That would be 10mm steel rear axles usually used.

QR/open dropouts are 9mm front, 10mm rear.

The 770/775 rear hubs use a 14mm aluminum axle and the lock nuts/end caps step down to 10mm to fit the dropouts.
    mtbtires.com

Shig your wheels aren't under any sort of warranty?

Shig your wheels aren't under any sort of warranty?
    Hub only, 2 years old and cones are wear items.
    mtbtires.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.cyclebasket.com/products....m9b14s498p2293

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    It is, but a (UK) company that will ship out of country only with payment via Western Union wire transfer is a company that will never get an overseas order.
    mtbtires.com

Yeah I don't blame you on not wanting to wire transfer... no way I'd do that. I did a quick search on Qbike and couldn't find the cones either. What did Shimano say? I would think they could at least understand your predicament and be able to sell you them directly.

Yeah I don't blame you on not wanting to wire transfer... no way I'd do that. I did a quick search on Qbike and couldn't find the cones either. What did Shimano say? I would think they could at least understand your predicament and be able to sell you them directly.
    Shimano USA says the cones are available only as part of the complete axle assembly (as I mentioned before).
    mtbtires.com

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Typical Shimano: for warranty issues cones are a wear item, but we don't sell these wear items separately, you have to buy a much larger selection of non-wear items with them at great expense.

Never trust a fart
    That would be 10mm steel rear axles usually used.

QR/open dropouts are 9mm front, 10mm rear.

The 770/775 rear hubs use a 14mm aluminum axle and the lock nuts/end caps step down to 10mm to fit the dropouts.

I couldn't remember if the rears were 9 or 10mm. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I loved the shimano wh-mt75 for about six rides until today. I experience some chain suck and snapped a few spokes. Since they snapped from the hub, the shop isn't sure if they can get out the nubs, also, they didn't have the spokes and will have to order them. Anyone got any info on this? Tricks to replacing these spokes? Thanks!

Never trust a fart
    The little nubs just slide out. They are seperate pieces from the spokes and need to either be saved or ordered along with the spokes. Spoke replacement is pretty easy. Slide the spoke through the hub, screw on the nubs, screw nipple into rim and true.

I broke several spokes earlier in the year on mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, cool. Any idea where to get spokes from? Someone else in this thread mentioned PetraCycles, and it is indeed the only place I see selling the spokes, at $6 a piece! My LBS would order them, but I'd rather do it myself. Thanks!

Never trust a fart
    They ain't cheap. Not sure on who carries them. I work at an LBS, so I deal with Shimano directly.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Shiggy,

did you ever find cone? My non drive side rear cone is pitted. I just cleaned, regreased whole thing and re tightened cones but am bummed about pitting. Maybe the Mobile 1 synthetic grease I used ( For my Dodge 2500 Diesel ) is strong enough to keep this overseas garbage alive. I do like the wheels, but if this is a hard to find part I am done with Shimano. I really like Shimano. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolie
    did you ever find cone? My non drive side rear cone is pitted. I just cleaned, regreased whole thing and re tightened cones but am bummed about pitting. Maybe the Mobile 1 synthetic grease I used ( For my Dodge 2500 Diesel ) is strong enough to keep this overseas garbage alive. I do like the wheels, but if this is a hard to find part I am done with Shimano. I really like Shimano. We will see.
    No. I would have to buy a whole axle assembly for ~$45 to get ONE cone. I refuse to do that.
    No third party aftermarket cones available either.

I am replacing the hub with a cartridge bearing model that can buy individual replacement parts for.

If I could get just the part I need, I would keep the XT.
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0