Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Shimano XT wheels Vs. Mavic 719 with Deore hubs

My Sette Razzo came with Mavic 719 wheels with Deore hubs. I'm not a fan of the engagement of the Deore hubs and was considering upgrading the wheels. Plus the wheels are not tubeless ready and are a bit of pain to get the tire bead set in when I set it up for tubeless.

I am considering getting the Shimano XT wheels (WH-MT75).

Are the Shimano XT wheels considered a big step up from the Mavic wheels?

I can get the XT wheels for $275 shipped.

Anyone know how much the Mavic wheels weigh? I can't find info on the weight and don't want to take off my tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus

Are the Shimano XT wheels considered a big step up from the Mavic wheels?
    not really. you might save a little weight, but not much. if you want to spend closer to 400 you can get pretty much any stans rims with the ztr hubs. if you look you can find them for less than they are listed on stans website. stans wheels will be considerable lighter, and they are super easy to set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    not really. you might save a little weight, but not much. if you want to spend closer to 400 you can get pretty much any stans rims with the ztr hubs. if you look you can find them for less than they are listed on stans website. stans wheels will be considerable lighter, and they are super easy to set up tubeless.

Any idea the weight of the Mavics with Deore hubs?

I can't find the specific wheels. But I think they are over 2500g, Which would make them much heavier than the XTs.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The XT wheels will be lighter, have more engagement points and set up tubeless more easily. 275 dollars is much less than wholesale price. I haven't had any problems with mine. They aren't perfect (narrow rims and non-convertible hubs) but most of the people who rag on them seem not to have owned and ridden them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    The XT wheels will be lighter, have more engagement points and set up tubeless more easily. 275 dollars is much less than wholesale price. I haven't had any problems with mine. They aren't perfect (narrow rims and non-convertible hubs) but most of the people who rag on them seem not to have owned and ridden them.
    Is the valve opening big enough for Schrader or is it setup for Presta?

Exactly how are you running your tubeless setup? Do you need a rim strip or special valve?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I own a set. Set up for presta. I'm running non-UST tires - Exiwolf in the rear, Rampage up front. No rim strip, just sealant. They both aired up really quick. I previously had a Weirwolf LT up front, which also aired up easily.

Mine have been problem free for months, bombing through some pretty tough trails. For $275, I say buy 'em.

mtbr member
    Any idea the weight of the Mavics with Deore hubs?

I can't find the specific wheels. But I think they are over 2500g, Which would make them much heavier than the XTs.
    if the mavics are over 2500 make the switch. that's really heavy

M_S i wasn't ragging on the xt hubs. i rode a set laced to arches for 3 months. they are nice, but they are not light by any means. you also need either centerlock rotors or addaptors. not a bid deal, but its still an added expense. my stans ztr hubs laced to arches weigh 1845 grams which is really good for under 400.

mtbr member
    The Shimano XT Wheels weigh 1810g (w/o skewers).

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm using TNT Saguaros right now which hold air without sealant. The rims are UST, so no rim strip is needed. I'm using the included presta valve stems. I suppose you could drill them for Schrader but I don't see the point.

The centerlock hub thing isn't a big deal to me but you're right that it is worth mentioning. I've been using the cheap Alligator adaptors for a year with no issues on Avid and Hayes rotors.

I'm sure the stans setup is nice too. A big advantage to them is spoke availability, and truing. The XTs use poprietary spoke nipples and straight pull spokes, though there are two spoke wrenches included. I've barely had to use them though. They're strong wheels, for what they are.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot guys.

Just ordered the XT wheels and the rotor adapters for the 6 bolt rotors.

Plays with tools
    My Sette Razzo came with Mavic 719 wheels with Deore hubs. I'm not a fan of the engagement of the Deore hubs and was considering upgrading the wheels. Plus the wheels are not tubeless ready and are a bit of pain to get the tire bead set in when I set it up for tubeless.
    The engagement on all shimano hubs is pretty much the same. Some of them are built differently but they all have the same points of engagement (which people make way to big of a deal about) if you really don't like the deore hub the XT isn't going to change anything that relates to that.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    The engagement on all shimano hubs is pretty much the same. Some of them are built differently but they all have the same points of engagement (which people make way to big of a deal about) if you really don't like the deore hub the XT isn't going to change anything that relates to that.
    Incorrect, the new Shimano XT hubs that come on the kit wheels are NOT the same as the Deore/XT hubs in question. The hubs that are included on the kit wheels are not available separately, and have 24 spokes, with MUCH better engagement than the hubs you're thinking of. I'm riding the XT 29er kit wheels and they're great. UST with no rim strips or anything, light weight, and are still holding true despite probably riding them harder than what some would deem "XC" riding. I had heard of these hubs being problematic but mine have been awesome. Been riding them about 5 or 6 months now, in everything from hub deep water to dry sandy singletrack. For what it's worth, they seem to roll really fast also. They are a good value if you can find them on closeout for under 300 bucks like I did.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Incorrect, the new Shimano XT hubs that come on the kit wheels are NOT the same as the Deore/XT hubs in question. The hubs that are included on the kit wheels are not available separately, and have 24 spokes, with MUCH better engagement than the hubs you're thinking of. I'm riding the XT 29er kit wheels and they're great. UST with no rim strips or anything, light weight, and are still holding true despite probably riding them harder than what some would deem "XC" riding. I had heard of these hubs being problematic but mine have been awesome. Been riding them about 5 or 6 months now, in everything from hub deep water to dry sandy singletrack. For what it's worth, they seem to roll really fast also. They are a good value if you can find them on closeout for under 300 bucks like I did.
    I've wondered how those things have held up. Glad to hear they're treating you well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mine have been durable as well. I range between 150 and 160 pounds and ride XC on a hardtail, but have cased it off many jumps and rocky descents without issue. I'm sure a larger rider would be more likely to have issues, but there are lots of factors. No freehub issues as of yet, after a year.

My experience with high end wheelsets (in my mind these qualify but obviously there are much mroe expensive setups by far) is limited. Usually I go for something like an XT or LX hub traditionally laced to whatever rim. Same for my cross bike, on which I have Ultegra hubs and delgado Cross rims. I bought these wheels because I thought they were a good deal, but was a little wary. So far I'm completely happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    non-convertible hubs
    The M775's are going to be convertable to 142mm x 12mm with an axle swap. Not sure how readily available the axle is going to be, but it's the same axle as used by the XTR and those are being released in 142mm x 12mm next year.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    I've wondered how those things have held up. Glad to hear they're treating you well.

Actually the XT hubs of yesteryear were what forced me away from Shimano completely for the past few years. I picked up SRAM stuff and never looked back. I blew up 5 XT hubs. I had 4 freehub failures and 1 bent axle. That, on top of the proprietary nature of everything Shimano was making a few years ago forced me away from their products completely. But if this wheelset holds up it may just bring me back on board. So far it's a great combination.. UST, lighter than most alternatives, and has good engagement. Time will tell in regards to durability.. my XC wheels are abused by water crossings, tons of Florida sand, and riding more aggressively than I probably should on a lightweight XC wheelset. I am not a big guy though, probably 160 pounds geared up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Love my WH-MT75, feels a lot stiffer than the Easton XC 2. Only issue is finding replacement spokes and the spoke price. Ended up paying around $10/ea for a few spokes and nuts from petracycles. Only place online that had some instock, still waiting on one more spoke on backorder. Crazy expensive.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Second Jim311- The Straight Pull spoke/hub Shimano XT 29er Wheelset is far better than one would think. I ran them on a rigid and was 210 lbs or so at the time, they spun up very well and were surprisingly stiff and responsive. If it were't for the qr only front hub I would not have sold them- I run Hope/Arch/Flow and Industry 9/ Flow and can't fault the XT's especially for the current price- If any thing they felt like theyspin up faster than any others I have used-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Fyi

I just got a really good deal on some King/Arch wheels from a friend so I'm swapping some wheels around and therefore I'm selling the XT MT75 29er wheelset off my wife's bike if anyone is interested. I planned on putting it on the classifieds in the morning and just thought I would give anyone a heads up if they're interested. They really are great wheels and a bargain, these probably don't have 150 miles on them and I'm including a pair of centerlock rotors.

mtbr member
    Do the new XT wheels come trueor do they need to be trued when they're brand new?

mtbr member
    They come true. Riding them since early spring, and I haven't needed to true mine yet.

mtbr member
    There's a tiny little hole on the outside of the rim on the rear XT wheel. It's on the drive side. Is that normal or a defect?

Mine has it too. I'm not sure what it's for to be honest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There's a tiny little hole on the outside of the rim on the rear XT wheel. It's on the drive side. Is that normal or a defect?

There should be one on both wheels, it's a weep hole so water can get out. I spent time riding through a creek on a ride one day and when I put my bike on top of the car it looked like it was taking a piss on me. That's what made me notice them, it's normal.

Rub it............
    I've been on a set of the XT 29er wheels all year. I absolutely love them. I'm not the smoothest rider and they have remained true the entire year. I'm running them tubeless with a set of Specialized The Captain Control 2Bliss tires. They are a tad narrow in the rim width, but very stiff, and the spin up great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast