mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Shimano XT vs. Sram X9 3x9

I have a Diamondback recoil 29er and hate the Shimano 3x8 on it now looking at a complete drivetrain whats better?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    They both work fine. Try the shifters on for ergonomics and get the one that suits you best.

If you can wait until the fall (+/-), Shimano has announced a Deore level 10sp group that has a 22/30/40 crankset, Shadow+ rear derailleur, and ice-tech brakes. This should be a great gearing range for a 29er when coupled with an 11-36 cassette. Nice to see this excellent technology trickle down to the relatively modestly priced component ranges.

mtbr member

Shifting is comparable. Brakes are not - XT brakes are amazing.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    my X7 shifts way better than my XT.. i'd pick that X9 drivetrain over an XT anyday..

mtbr member
    XT smokes X9.

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, who tunes your drive train? And, can you be specific about what's on there?

I rode 3x8 for years. Alivio and better rear derailleurs are set-and-forget, and work well as long as they're not damaged or worn out. Some of the non-series shifter pods work very well too. All of it needs to be installed and tuned well, regardless of price or series.

I like Shimano SLX and up better than anything SRAM. But you know what they say about opinions.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ive ridden tons of bikes with full sram, full shimano, and mix match groups...never really noticed much difference between the two brands aside from the shifters and brakes. XT is similiar to X9. For brakes, it doesnt get much better then shimano. They are easy to service and very consistent. Every sram brake set ive ever used is hit or miss. When they work, they work fine...but when they dont, its a nightmare.

Shifters are just personal preference and wouldnt say one is better then the other. They both have a different feel, and best to try and ride both brands to see what works for you. Shimano will let you push or pull the trigger...sram only lets you push with your thumb. I think my first decent bike had shimano, and got used to pulling the trigger with my pointer finger. Im sure if it had sram, i would have learned that way just fine.

Lately ive been running all shimano xtr with sram xx1 cranks and XX cassettes. The sram cranks and cassettes are a little bit lighter then the shimano equivelent. Since im running a single ring up front, the 10spd offers the widest range. With a triple up front, I wouldnt stress too much if you use 9spd or 10spd...youll usually have the option for the same highest and lowest gears. But it seems like the industry is leaning towards 10 spd stuff. Less chance of running into compatibility issues in the future. 9spd cranks and front der's work fine with 10spd chains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Personally I prefer Shimano. I had X0 RD/X9 Shifters on a previous bike. I now run XTR Shadow plus RD/XT Shifters iSpec on both bikes and I love it. XTR brakes rule too (in my opinion).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Going 10sp instead of 9 if you are buying all components lets you choose a clutch type derailleur like the Shimano Shadow plus.
    You can use 9sp front components with 10sp chain, cluster, rear d and shifter.
    Sram clutch rear d seems to be showing clicking problems.

EMBA Member
    Went to a bike demo fest a week ago. I'm not in the market for a new bike, but I did want to try all the different levels of Shimano and Sram. By the end of the day, I'd decided XT brakes are without question the only game in town. As far as shifting goes, I could live with Sram, but if I had a choice, I'd definitely go XT here too. I also picked out bikes based on what tires they had as I am ready for a new set, but that's a different thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MentalSpine View Post
    my X7 shifts way better than my XT.. i'd pick that X9 drivetrain over an XT anyday..
    Got to wonder if you know what you're doing. I doubt you'd find anyone else that agrees with this.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

AZ
    banned
    I'm a Gripshift fan, dictates the choice of derailleurs. XT brakes would be a fine choice but I have a couple of sets of Avid's that have been problem free. Check out the ergonomics and make your choices.

MTB B'dos
    Definitely say don't waste your time going to 9spd now, definitely make the move right up to 10spd. As to which brand, for drivetrain that's personal preference (for me Shimano and SLX is fine, plus you can find loads of deals on SLX 10spd right now) for brakes, 100% Shimano, as said every Avid brake has been hit or miss for me too.

Also should ask who does your wrenching, because I've set up 3x8 Deore/Alivio and once setup properly they shift just fine.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

I've been very happy with my XT stuff, except for one thing. My rear brake master cylinder is leaking and feels, of course, god-awful. Took it to a shop who told me I'd have to buy a replacement lever because they don't sell a rebuild kit. Luckily, I bought from Competitive Cyclist and a replacement is on the way - I'm only out the $5 that it costs to ship the brake back. In terms of power and modulation, I haven't tried a brake like it.

I'm in the process of setting up my next bike with X0 everything, but only because I got a ill we deal on it. The 4 pot X0 trail brakes are, by all accounts, the combo breaker of crappy Avid brakes.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    XT brakes and XT crankset all day. X9 or XO derailluers and twist shifters, 10 sp. or 9 sp. which ever way you go. Cassettes, Sram 1070 or Shim XT are both fine quality. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I've been very happy with my XT stuff, except for one thing. My rear brake master cylinder is leaking and feels, of course, god-awful. Took it to a shop who told me I'd have to buy a replacement lever because they don't sell a rebuild kit. Luckily, I bought from Competitive Cyclist and a replacement is on the way - I'm only out the $5 that it costs to ship the brake back. In terms of power and modulation, I haven't tried a brake like it.

I'm in the process of setting up my next bike with X0 everything, but only because I got a ill we deal on it. The 4 pot X0 trail brakes are, by all accounts, the combo breaker of crappy Avid brakes.
    I have been renting a lot of bikes lately because I have been traveling. I recently rode a turner czar with XO brakes (not trail I dont think) and they had a bit of the shudder that I have come to expect from avid brakes. They werent terrible, but not any better than solid XT brakes.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    I have been renting a lot of bikes lately because I have been traveling. I recently rode a turner czar with XO brakes (not trail I dont think) and they had a bit of the shudder that I have come to expect from avid brakes. They werent terrible, but not any better than solid XT brakes.
    The regular X0 brakes are same ol' same ol'. It's the trail version that people are diggin'.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's honestly laughable. There's something wrong with your XT if your X7 shifts "way better". I have owned both and low level SRAM (x5/x7) is garbage next to Shimano XT.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    That's honestly laughable. There's something wrong with your XT if your X7 shifts "way better". I have owned both and low level SRAM (x5/x7) is garbage next to Shimano XT.
    I have said it before and know I with say it again (many times):

I have had identical test bikes, one with a Shimano drivetrain, the other with SRAM (same level).

Half the riders say the SRAM shifts better, half prefer the Shimano.
    Both are good. The rest is personal preference.

Coke or Pepsi.

I like tonic water.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    ^ what her said

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have said it before and know I with say it again (many times):

I have had identical test bikes, one with a Shimano drivetrain, the other with SRAM (same level).

Half the riders say the SRAM shifts better, half prefer the Shimano.
    Both are good. The rest is personal preference.
    At equal levels, yes. But when comparing X7 to XT there is a degree of fact, beyond just preference.

What the guy I quoted said would be like comparing a 3 ft ladder to a 6 ft ladder and saying the 3 ft ladder let him reach higher things. At that point it isn't preference, he's simply wrong or his equipment is out of spec/broken.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    At equal levels, yes. But when comparing X7 to XT there is a degree of fact, beyond just preference.

What the guy I quoted said would be like comparing a 3 ft ladder to a 6 ft ladder and saying the 3 ft ladder let him reach higher things. At that point it isn't preference, he's simply wrong or his equipment is out of spec/broken.
    Though if a rider prefers SRAM shifting to Shimano it is likely they will still like a (somewhat) lower level SRAM drivetrain to any Shimano. It still shifts well through the whole range of gearing (which can be the same), very unlike trying to use a too short ladder for the job.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Had a X7 FD on an otherwise SLX/XT bike. Chain kept dropping onto the small ring and shifting to the big ring was bad...no matter who adjusted it.

Got an XT...chain stopped dropping and big ring shifting is smoother and lighter.

ballbuster
    Heh... I found the opposite is true. To me, Shimano feels like a fine swiss watch, and SRAM feels like a clunky Swatch.

Just goes to show... chocolate and vanilla, right?

That said, if SRAM came out with Dual Control 10 speed for Mountain Bikes, I would drop Shimano like a bad habit.