Dog is my co-pilot

seven teres 29er fit question

I recently bought a dos-niner (20") as my first 29er.I quickly fell in love with the 29" wheels. So i decided to buy a seven teres 29er for cc racing. I have been winning sport class races in the northeast on my 03 trek fuel 100 (19.5") for the last couple of years and this year i plan to bump up to expert. My question to you guys is about the geometry of my new seven.I am 6'1" have a 34" inseam and long arms. My fuel fits me like a glove 24.6tt 105x95 stem 69cm front center.My dos fits pretty well also using a 125 stem and 66cm front center, it did feel a little nervous at first but i got use to it.After explaining all this to seven these are the specs they came up with. seat tube 17.5'' ett 23.8" 120x96 stem hta 71.5deg sta 72deg chain stay length 18.13"head tube length 4.8" bb height 11.9" top tube slope18 deg front center 62.7cm with toe overlap. built around a 2006 bw .8. As you can see the wheelbase and front center on the seven are much shorter than my current bikes. My concerns are how this shortness will affect steep decents and how often i might catch my feet on the front wheel. Has anyone ridden anything with comparable geometry? If so what was it like? Any constructive help would be appreciated.
    [SIZE=3]race bicycles not dogs[/SIZE]

Recovering couch patato
    First impression is : you want a big fitting bike, but keep ending up on smaller ones. I don't see why, if you like the Trek for fit, why all bikes after it should be so much shorter.
    Why don't you try to find a test ride on an L and XL Fisher first, before committing to a custom Seven? Those bikes are long-ass, but obviously from all the good reviews (I know, got 2 XL's) they are very rideable and raceable. You just might like that sort of thing.

I'd get some test rides in first, to see what's out there apart from your Dos. Also I'd play around with BikeCAD or Clary's Excel tools. Both should be found through the search, or I could help you get them, even set them up for you.

Something as a Seven takes real good research and understanding before committing, IMO. Then, to me a Seven is outrageously expensive, and there are much more knowledgeble 29" Ti builders out there. 29" geometry and love, that is.

mtbr member
    how different is the wheel base on the 3 bikes? the front centre could be less because the seat angle is more relaxed on the proposed seven. but the stays are on the long side so the wb may well be similar.

in my experience with several custom builders and frames (including seven) the less front centre, combined with a relaxed seat angle suited my pedaling while seated esp climbing, but standing climbing esp steep put me pretty close to the bars and i also used a longer stem...phew...depends on the package. the very best thing you could do is go use a size cycle thingy to see how each feel.

short wheel bases can be quicker through tight turns. if the front centre is shorter, more weight is over front of bike when standing (at least: sometimes sitting too, if you use a longer stem to keep reach similar.) we would need to know what sort of bb height, and what sort of reach on all bikes esp with drop to bars from saddle to give furthe rthts..

the converse generalisation is that shorter front centres make it more of a struggle, esp if stem is longer to put weight behind the saddle for steeps to super-steeps. not impossible, and it may not be a major factor for your riding.

in one move between bikes i went from 72 seat, 71 head 23" top tube and 17" stays to 72/71 23.2"tt amd 16.6" stays (thus front centres was shorter, reach exactly same wb um, a tiny bit shorter) with all else the same. the bike felt better for standing climbing in terms of body position not power transfer ( ie it wasnt build material) and better for hard fast technical steeper downhills. dificult to know if any other differences (they are very similar!)

dunno if taht helps.

on a side note do feel free to question seven on the whys and liely effects of their design changes. they were free with info for me and i would expect the same for you. the changes do seem quite large over yer current steeds, tho i like the sound of a moe dopped top tube esp for 29er, even if you do have spider limbs...
    Last edited by dRjOn; 03-24-2006 at 04:07 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think that is totally nuts. I'm fairly close to your proportions. I went from a 19" Voodoo Dambala with a 23.5" effective top tube and 120mm stem to a large Niner SIR with a 24.5" ETT and 100mm stem. On the Voodoo I had toe overlap during low speed maneuvers, which I found to be very annoying. I had two really bad endos on the Voodoo which I think were partially due to the geometry. In my opinion, the Niner has near perfect geometry. It feels more stable and counterintuitively, is better at switchbacks. If I were having a custom bike built, I would want it to be EXACTLY like the Niner. Which is why I wouldn't have one built, since I would have to pay twice as much and wait months for something that isn't any better (well, maybe lighter if it were titanium).

Dog is my co-pilot
    I think your right about the dos-niner being a great handling bike. Mine is also a lg and it fits reasonably well with a 120 stem. I decided on a teres because i thought it would be a little lighter,i thought ti chainstays bending would have a longer and more consistent lifecycle and i thought seven would be able to tweak the fit to be perfect.The proposed bike would have a 1" shorter wheelbase and a 1/4" longer chainstay. The front center would be about an 11/4"shorter than my dos. While riding my dos on steep singletrack yesterday i kept looking down at the front axle trying to invision it be an 11/4"closer to me and it seemed like it would feel way too short. Having said that i would also add that i made it crystal clear to seven that i dont feel comfortable on short bikes and i dont like going over the bars, so im not quite sure why they came up with this design. I called them a couple of days ago to discuss the design but my fit tech was busy and unable to talk to me and apparently too busy to call me back.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Ahhh... The frame is still on the drawing board.

You do need to talk to Seven about how you want the bike to ride, what works (and does not work) in your current and past bikes and why they designed the bike they way they did.

If you are not comfortable with the answers find a different builder. Seven has a great reputation for building great handling bikes but they may not be the right builder for you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Dog is my co-pilot
    sorry, i guess in my ramblings i didnt make that fact very clear but yes this design is still just on paper.