mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Sette Razzo Geometry Question

I've been looking into getting a HT 29er for the last few months (upgrading from a 1997 Iron Horse MT400 26" HT), and have tried a few of the usual suspects at local shops:

GF Cobia - 19"
    Specialized Rockhopper 29 - 19"
    Fuji Tahoe 29 - 19"
    Performance Access XCL 29 - 19"

All but the Fuji were just parking lot test rides; I got to try out a Fuji demo at our local trails. It was definitely fun, but I'm thinking I might like something a little lighter/sportier. The GF felt the quickest/most like my 26" in terms of handling. I think I'd probably like something somewhere in between the feel of the GF and the Fuji.

When I saw the Sette Razzo and its reviews, I became very tempted, but it's hard to pull the trigger without getting a test ride. When I compare the geometry, it looks like an 18" might work well for me (I'm 5'11" with a 34" riding inseam, 165#). The only geometry number that really sticks out about the Razzo is the BB height. For all the others, the BB heights are right around 12", but the Razzo is 12.8". Will that noticeably affect the feel of the bike (being "over" the bike vs. being "in" the bike)?

Any opinions or feedback on the fit of this bike for me, or about the difference in BB height?

Thanks,
    Ted

Uncle
    12.8" sounds high to me. Is the quoted geometry with suspension corrections -- 80mm? 100mm?

My gut says 12" is optimal after riding a zion 737 (11.5") that handled great when not suffering from pedal strikes, and after riding my current no-name / unbadged KHS tuscon (12.3" with sag) and feeling a bit too tall and tippy. If it's really 12.8", which I can't verify, I'd say skip it. Might check to see if there are other remarks from folks riding this frame to see if the bike handles well, or if the COG is just too high.

Good luck and report back; always interested in what folks are finding out.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Razzo riders appear to like it. No one has said it feels tall or tippy.

Razzo at the Snotcycle
    Razzo pics?
    Sette Razzo Isn't All That....
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Harmonius Wrench
    Being "in" the bike vs "on" the bike is definitely something to think about, but I do not think it is a deal killer either way ,(that's just me though )

Anyway, yeah......I think you will definitely feel "on" the bike. It will feel as if you are up there a ways when seated in the saddle, but generally I find that riding rigs with tall-ish BB's isn't that big of a deal after you get accustomed to the bike. Handling-wise, if the rest of the geometry suits you, the tall-ish BB shouldn't be an issue.

The thing is, 29 inch wheels have such a gyroscopic effect, that they want to stay upright when they are spinning, more so than 26 inch wheels, so things that would upset a 26 inch ride don't matter on a 29"er so much, if at all. This seems to give 29"ers a wider range of possibilities in geometry and set up than it does 26"ers.

The Razzo is interesting. I've held a frame in my hands. It is light, looks well made, and according to the guy that built the one up I saw, it rides very well.

Sette doesn't say if the measurements were with a 100mm fork, or an 80mm fork. The 100mm fork would give the taller BB figure, so perhaps they used that as their baseline for the geo chart. If so, a 80mm fork would alleviate the "on top of" feeling a bit.

I think you'd be fine with it, that's my take.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My brand new stock Razzo bike bottom bracket comes in at 12 7/16". My bike is the full bike from Pricepoint, 18" frame. It comes with the fork set at 80mm. Rides fine to me but I only got 3 rides on it so far. I say buy it and if you don't like it use the parts on a different frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Glad to hear someone actually measure theirs - 12 7/16" doesn't sound as bad. The Fisher BB heights are 12.28", so the difference isn't much more than 1/8". I just took another test ride yesterday, this time of a Fisher X-Caliber (19") - I really liked it. It's going to be a tough call between these two, especially if I could get a deal on the X-Caliber (I've heard of them going for ~$1300).

Anyone else have any experience comparing these two as far as fit and feel (I can obviously compare the listed specs)? What about the weights - I know the Razzo is ~26#, but the X-Caliber weight is unlisted.

Ted

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had a Redline Monocog 29er before I bought a Razzo (converted to SS) and I found the geometries were very similar - 5'10" and you're tucked in the cockpit of this bike and flying over stuff. I've got an 80mm fork in it right now and I think it would be better served with a 100mm fork. I weighed the frame before I built up the bike - my medium was right at 3.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by imbabob
    My brand new stock Razzo bike bottom bracket comes in at 12 7/16". My bike is the full bike from Pricepoint, 18" frame. It comes with the fork set at 80mm. Rides fine to me but I only got 3 rides on it so far. I say buy it and if you don't like it use the parts on a different frame.
    imbabob,

How tall are you with your 18" frame? Have you ridden any other 29er HT's to compare?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123
    imbabob,

How tall are you with your 18" frame? Have you ridden any other 29er HT's to compare?
    I'm 5' 10" 32" inseam. I've ridden Raleigh XXIX Singlespeed, Vassago Bandersnatch hardtails and all seem fine and the Sette is equal to them in my opinion.

Gumby
    Apr 2005
    FWIW my XL (22") razzo's BB measures out at 12.25" with an 80mm reba sl, with Kenda Small Block 8's

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for another data point - that's even better. Perhaps the numbers on their geometry chart are off a bit

Still welcoming any other thoughts or comparisons between the Razzo and Fisher geometry

mtbr member
    The difference could be how much air pressure is in the tires.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r