mtbr member
    May 2008

Sette Razzo Carbon vs Chinese Direct Carbon

The Sette Razzo carbon is currently $599 with 15% off, it would be $540 shipped to my door. The Razzo also comes with a 5 year warranty, customer service will likely be better and it will be easier to return if anything is or goes wrong.
    How much do the Chinese carbons usually cost after shipping to the US? With the Chinese Carbon 29ers there's more of a variety to choose from if you want specific geometry and features.

If I had to choose today, I'd probably take the Sette considering it likely goes through a better QA process and comes with a warranty.
    What would you choose and why?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I bought one of the old 26 inch carbon frames from Sette a couple years ago and I had absolutely no complaints. I rode it for a season and then sold the complete bike to a friend who has since put thousands of miles on it without a prolem. The construction of the frame was solid and I had just as much confidence in that bike as I did in any of the bigger companies frames that I've ridden.
    While I don't have any experience with the Razzo, I can't imagine it would be anything different.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Chinese carbon. I wouldn't be able to deal with a huge "Sette" logo on my down tube. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    71.5 ht angle on the Sette vs 69 on the HongFu FM 056 and 057 with plenty of good reviews.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Chinese carbon. I wouldn't be able to deal with a huge "Sette" logo on my down tube. But that's just me.
    You could put Niner stickers on it to cover it up Why does Sette has such a bad rep? Just because it's mail order and cheap?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    I get lots of compliments on my Razzo frame. The word "beautiful" has been used on more than one occasion and I've only had the frame for 6 weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also, as I posted in the Sette forum, this frame easily takes on tire widths greater than 2.2". I have Geax Gato 2.3's (one of the wider 2.3's available) on Stans Arch EX rims (tubeless, 24 psi on rear) and there is PLENTY of clearance on the front and rear. Can't comment on other brands, but the Gato's in 2.3 work great.
    Last edited by steelhmr; 07-30-2013 at 10:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Sette all the way. Yea, the logo screams mail-order, but Niner, Trek and Specialized logoing scream things as well.

Never had a problem with Sette anything and I run a fair amount of Sette stuff.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have 3,500 miles on my Carbon Razzo over two seasons. Rides great. Handles predictably. I ride the snot out of my bikes. It's taken hundreds of rock impacts to the down tube (coming off the front tire). It's also taken a couple other bigger rock hits that would easily have dented an aluminum frame. I'm totally sold on the Razzo. Wish it had a 142mm thru axle in the back but that's it. If I break it, i'm only out $599 if the warranty doesn't cover it. Plus I can pick up the phone and talk to someone in California for any issues.

When I wear out my drive train, I'll convert it to XX1 or XO1. Maybe cheap carbon 29er wheels, or Mavic Crossmax 29er SLR wheels. As a 1x11, I think I can get it to sub-21 pounds real world riding weight with no goofy weight weenieness.

I wrote an extensive review of it on my outdoor blog coasttomountain.com

jp4
    mtbr member

Re: Sette Razzo Carbon vs Chinese Direct Carbon

I've got an IP-057, which has been great, but it was $485 shipped. Though I prefer the 142 thru axle on my frame, the Sette probably has a little nicer finish (mine's ud matte, nothing fancy) and maybe better warranty access if you have a problem down the road.

mtbr member
    At $540 shipped the Razzo would have been much higher on my list but I ended up purchasing an IP-057 like Jp4. In the end the cost isn't that much different, only $50-$75 less for the IP-057 Chinese direct frame, although people have posted they have purchased other Chinese Carbon Frames from eBay for as little as $350 shipped.

The 5 year warranty and local customer service is easily worth the price difference. However, with the Chinese direct frame I was able to choose the bottom bracket I wanted, custom paint, and I wanted the 12x142 thru axle that the Sette Razzo simply does not have.

I like the fact that my frame has no graphics on it and people ask what type of bike that is. Out on the trail, I think people spend far too much time sizing up a rider by the brand of bike he or she rides.