Trail Junkie

Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Just came across this on Facebook, I am sure it will interest some people.http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...type=1&theater
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i wonder the tire clearance

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A Maxxis Ikon 2.2 fits no problem. You could go even wider no problem. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Okay- I just got my Sette Razzo Carbon XX yesterday and built it up.

I'm working on a complete review of the bike with lots of pics. It'll be up on my blog in a week or so (once I've logged my first 100+ miles on it).

I was very concerned with frame clearance and overall build quality in going with an "off brand" bike. My other finalists for a hardtail 29er were the Cannondale Flash carbon 1 or Santa Cruz Highball carbon (both with XX or XTR 2x10 and tubeless). I'm happy to report that the initial impression is very good. Parts spec is great, and the assembly appears to be spot on. I'm looking at the details of how the cables were trimmed and routed, torque spec, etc. I had the bike rideable out of the box in about 30 minutes. In 1.5 hours I had changed the tires, installed pedals, cages, etc., did initial sizing, tweaking, and setup and, and initial fork setup.

Frame tire clearance is not an issue! I'm running a Maxxis Igntior 2.1 and there is plenty of frame clearance for mud, etc. It'll easily run a 2.2 or even 2.3 on the rear. This was a big concern for me, since I've seen several 29ers with tiny frame/tire clearance. I would have returned the bike if it didn't have decent clearance. Besides, part of running a 29er means having a bigger footprint on the ground. For a bike like this (fast XC bike), you don't need to run super wide tires to get as much ground/tire contact.

Highlights after the build-

- Flashy (somewhat gaudy with SETTE all over the frame)!
    - Quality build with only a few adjustments
    - 20.88 lbs out of the box (no pedals). Right on the claimed weight for a large (19")
    - 20.88 lbs out of the box includes tubes (0.75 lbs on my postage scale). I'll never run tubes, so I'm sure I've saved a little weight going tubeless.
    - Ridiculous stock tires for real riding. Made the bike come in under 21lbs, but makes a semi slick look beefy. Probably okay for a hardpack short track race course, but not adequate for rooty, rocky, sometimes wet singletrack. Replaced them with "real" tires immediately.

The complete bike ready to ride came in at 22.07lbs on my cheap digital hanging scale. I set it up as follows:

- Stock build
    - XTR pedals
    - GPS/HRM mount
    - Little bell (ding!)
    - 2 bottle cages (Sette carbon cages)
    - Real tires! Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 rear and Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 front. Set up tubeless with 1.5 scoops of Stans in each tire.

More later. My initial concerns about going with Sette have been totally squashed. Next I'll ride the snot out of it for the initial 15-day money back guarantee. I only have a few miles on it, but initial impressions are great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Based on my post above yours why would you be "very concerened" about frame/tire clearance? A Maxxis Ikon is wider than the Ignitor you are running and I said you could go even wider. I have had a Sette Razzo Carbon for about six months now. It is one of the nicest bikes I have ever ridden and I ride nothing other than very high end bikes. The only issue I have had is chain suck that got the chain stuck between the chainstay and crank which required me to remove my cranks to get it unstuck. Not sure what happened and it has only happened once, but it really sucked! Had to call my girl friend to come and pick me up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For Comparison's sake I have the following setup in a 19": Rockshox Reba XX 20mm through axle fork, Hope front hub Stans arch rim, Chris King rear with Stans arch rim, Shimano SLX 2x front derailleur, Sram X.9 (9 speed rear) derailleur, China Carbon seatpost and bars, SRAM XO twist shifters, two bottle cages, Maxxis ignitor rear, and Racing Ralph 2.4 front, XTR cranks with 24/36 Blackspire SuperPro rings, WTB SLT Ti saddle, Cateye speedometer, Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals, SRAM X9 11/32 cassette. Total weight 23.5 Lbs and about $1,500 less cost than the complete pricepoint XX spec'd bike. Bike works flawlessly. Well worth the money!

mtbr member
    The frame is probobly made by KHS or Giant -- just like EVERY OTHER FRAME on the market..
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have gotten to where I don't really care who makes it as long as it fits good, rides good, looks good, is a good value, and has good customer support if need be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    @epiphreddy

As I indicated, my concerns were unfounded. The pics on the PricePoint website didn't really show the tire clearance that well. And being 500 miles away, I'd never seen one in person. I've seen several 29er carbon frames on the market that I wouldn't buy because they were really tight with a 2.1" tire, let alone riding in muddy conditions.

I went with the Sette for a couple reasons:

1) I think prices for high end carbon hardtails have gone completely out of control- ($10K for a cannondale or specialized hardtail?). And I figured with the 15-day guarantee I couldn't lose. If I ride it for a few months and don't like it, I'll just move the parts over to a Santa Cruz Highball.
    2) It would cost me more to buy the parts spec on the XX Razzo on Ebay than the whole built Razzo XX bike.
    3) We both know that 90% of carbon bike frames come from a handful of factories in China and Taiwan. The Sette was undoubtedly built next to other high end bikes. (It has a lot of similarities with the Focus carbon bikes, among others).

I'm also a high end rider: road, CX, mountain, cargo bike, tandem, vintage bikes, touring, etc. Logged over 100K miles on the bike, raced (road, cyclocross, mtb), worked in a shop, etc. I really don't care about image. I care about build quality, ride quality, and durability. Beyond that, name brands don't matter.

mtbr member
    Great post!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    @highsierrabear.........AND the funniest thing about the $10K bikes is that instead of saying "Sette" they say Cannondale or Specialized instead of "Unknown" brand and they ask another $$$$K dollars. It is completely absurd and I guess there are plenty of clueless people out there "supporting the bikeshops" to the tune of these absurd prices. If you go to the China Carbon thread you will see lots of similarities between the $1,800 name brand frames and the $500 China specials. A friend of mine bought a $500 China special straight from the factory and it looks just like the Scott at 2/3rds the price. It is built very nicely and in fact has a nice metal insert to protect the frame from chain suck such as what occurred to me. He even put Scott stickers on it, pretty funny. I built my Sette up from scratch and EVERYTHING went very smoothly in fact much more smoothly than a Lynskey Pro 29er I built up just a few years ago. Not to mention the Sette rides MUCH better. As far as I am concerned the Sette is a first class $2,000 frame at less than 1/2 the price. I am glad it is not a run of the mill regularly named overpriced bike. It really comes down to markups. The name brand bikes go to importers, distributors, shops, etc. and they get marked up each time all along the way. So the $500 frame suddenly costs almost $2K after everyone gets their take. Not to mention many other things at play, marketing, etc. If you can build your own bike you don't need a bikeshop with the multiple tiers of markups and "support". And you are right with the PP guarantee of satisfaction or your money back, you can't lose. So far my durability has been just fine and with a 5 year guarantee you are covered. If you have not done it I would install a downtube protector or something in case rocks fly up and hit the downtube. I installed a Lizard Skins Leather downtube protector which has been working nicely. Where I ride it is very rocky.

Enjoy your bike!!!!

mtbr member
    its all BS until you post pics...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man you guys should paint RDO on the side of your frames and then you could sell them for 2k. or how about allmountain29ermtber.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this write up! I look forward to more feedback. The big name bike prices are simply out of control especially since carbon fibre is far from exotic these days. These bikes are now retailing for as much or more than a BMW motorcycle. It's highway robbery. I'm very interested in the X9 or X0 bike. I don't think I could build one for less.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Man you guys should paint RDO on the side of your frames and then you could sell them for 2k. or how about allmountain29ermtber.
    Or a label that says TERK, GIGANTE, SPECIAL, LARRY FISHER etc..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    You joke about this but I know that you can go to the China Carbon 29er thread and contact one of the China direct manufacturers and they will put whatever you want on your bike. It can be YOUR named bike. I am fully convinced that the $500 China direct frames are equally as nice as the $1,800+ frames without the blingyness and big names painted on the sides. I do like having the Sette just in case you need to call someone during normal business hours and speak to them in English plus have a US address to ship a warranty issue back to. Of course this luxury comes with around a $300 price tag. My next frame will probably be a China direct. I think the price of the carbon frames due to competition will continue to come down, let's just hope.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    its all BS until you post pics...
    Here ya go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sette Razzo Carbon 29er-setterazzo-035.jpg  

Sette Razzo Carbon 29er-setterazzo-041.jpg  

mtbr member
    Test road a trek superfly today and the 29er experience was killer. The BB creaked like an SOB, though. I don't know much about the press fit BBs, and I like the fact that the Sette is threaded like I am used to. I felt like I can still go down the rocky hills on my Anthem X better, but climbing up them was easier on the big wheels. Over all I couldn't tell if I was faster, but I was having more fun. I

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what tire is on there? can you take a pic that shows tire clearance? thinking of building one of these or a china carbon bike. I cant find a china bike with a top tube over 24.5 though. I like running FAT tires. poor mans full suspension. any help?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am selling this frame if anyone is interested. Great frame, little use. I prefer my full suspension bike due to the rough trails in my area. PM me for more info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sette Razzo Carbon 29er-setterazzo-035.jpg  

Sette Razzo Carbon 29er-setterazzo-041.jpg