mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Sette Razzo 2 vs. GF X-Caliber

I've done quite a bit of looking around and I think I've narrowed down my new 29er purchase to either the Sette Razzo 2.0 or the Gary Fisher X-Caliber. Both look like really nice bikes with good components. As it stands there's about a $300 difference between the two. I like the idea of supporting the LBS, so if I can get the difference down a little bit, I may be able to be swayed one way or there other. Anyone have any other helpful insight or thoughts about these 2 bikes?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    i know it can be hard to test ride a razzo but did you at least ride a xcal? if so, how did you like it?
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL

mtbr member
    100 mm travle on GF, only 80mm travel on Razzo 2.

+1 for GF
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    i know it can be hard to test ride a razzo but did you at least ride a xcal? if so, how did you like it?
    Actually, this has been part of my frustration in looking for a new bike. I've been to 4 local bike shops all of whom basically carry the same lines of bikes in stock -- Specialized or Giant. One had a single Redline D440, which I road to get the feel of a 29er, but the components were less than what I'd like to get. The dealer that I talked to about the GF would have to order it. Even he only had Specialized and Giant in stock. I know it's ideal to be able to take the bike for a ride, but unless I want to limit myself to one of two brands, it doesn't look like it's going to be possible.

Lanzolot
    I bought a Razzo last year and no regrets. The 2.0 is the old model (w/ SRAM) and the new model is the 1.0 (w/ Shimano), if I remember right (so next year they will have a 0.0?). I also considered the Xcal, drooled for one for years, but when it came down to finally buy one my LBS stopped carrying GF. The Razzo was equivalent or better setup and cheaper, but with mail order risks.
    FWIW The travel is adjustable, if you desire 100mm you can convert it, plenty have, never found the need myself.
    With all that said, if I had the choice I would have got the 2.0. The SRAM been fine, I'm just a Shimano guy.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    no experience with the razzo, but my sette rekens (i owned 4. all good. 1 stolen, 2 gifted, and 1 still in the stable) were awesome. id still be riding them if i didnt go 29er. and i woulda got the razzo if i hadnt gone steel SS. im still thinking about picking up one of the frames.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Fisher's proprietary G2 is a deal breaker IMO

I vote Sette

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neovox
    Actually, this has been part of my frustration in looking for a new bike. I've been to 4 local bike shops all of whom basically carry the same lines of bikes in stock -- Specialized or Giant. One had a single Redline D440, which I road to get the feel of a 29er, but the components were less than what I'd like to get. The dealer that I talked to about the GF would have to order it. Even he only had Specialized and Giant in stock. I know it's ideal to be able to take the bike for a ride, but unless I want to limit myself to one of two brands, it doesn't look like it's going to be possible.
    yeah, that sucks. some dislike the g2 geometry. i like it. i'm sure either would be fine but always good to see if you can check one out if you can. also, i wouldn't be concerned about the 80mm vs 100mm- it can be adjusted. good luck!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890

mtbr member
    Never rode the GF but have had the Razzo for a year. Stock it came setup at 80mm but switched the Reba to 100mm and I like it much better.

The frame is light and the bike is fast. Right now mine weighs in the 23lbs. Very nice bike for leisure or racing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Whats the difference between G2 geometry and regular geometry? Have you not looked into the Spec. Rockhopper Pro 29er? Its $1400 or so and the Xcal is like $1550. That is likely the one i will end up getting. Maybe just the Expert model. I heard the Avid Juicy 3s hydraulic disc brakes were prone to failure, thinking why I might settle on mechanical disc brakes and better rear deraileur.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for all the good input!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Throw this into the mix....
    Steel frame (perfect for hardtail 29rs), Elixir 3,
    Shimano 3x10
    This is a very nice bike $1500
    http://www.marinbikes.com/2011/bike_...serialnum=1809

mtbr member
    good idea to shop around and look at specialized too. i actually just got home with an xcal for my wife. we went to a lbs looking for a bike for her. we were looking at the el mariachi and some others. then she road an xcal and it fit her really well. also, the price was right- $1250 so we saved a decent amount if we were to go with the salsa.

good luck!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    she road an xcal and it fit her really well. also, the price was right- $1250 so we saved a decent amount if we were to go with the salsa. good luck!
    I'd love to get the X-Cal for $1250. My LBS wants about $300 more than that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by neovox

neovox -

Try contacting some of the other Trek Dealers in your area.

While your profile says you're located in Detroit, the Trek website lists 15 Trek dealers within a 25-mile radius of Detroit; along with 53 Trek Dealers within a 50-mile radius (50 miles is trivial for many of us who live in Southern California).

http://locator.trekbikes.com/locator/search?lang=en

In my search for a new 29er HT, I thought I was going to get another Specialized bike....that is, until I got my hands on, and rode, an X-Caliber.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I picked up a razzo early last summer when my x-cal cracked where the seat tube meets the BB shell. I'm very happy with the frame and it fits me better as well. XL x-cal vs 22" razzo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Buy one of these instead:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....1/7366/44091/

Look for a dealer having a special.
    Trash the stock wheels for a set of stans wheels, go tubeless & rock out.