Thread: Serotta TiMax

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Serotta TiMax

I've been following this 29'er thing for a while and decided to go Big.

I came over from a full XTR Litespeed Sewanee and I don't think I can go back to 26" wheels.

My racing and trail riding is simply faster and more fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I'm guessing 21.6lbs.
    That is full weight-weenie committment! Nice!

Have you noticed any flex in that F-99 stem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Beautiful frame. I'd say between 23-24lbs.

change is good
    Sep 2004

beautiful

came close to ordering a Serotta road bike.

mtbr member
    I think this is the first Serotta 29er I've seen. Very nice. What's the build list (specifically the brakes)?
    -Sean

mtbr member

Dropouts

Can we get some pics of the rear dropouts? Especially the disc side.

Thanks, Joel

"Nothing works like Clockwork"

www.clockworkbikes.com

mtbr member
    That's a little eerie, since just yesterday I was wondering if Serotta did a 29er frame. Even went to the web site to see if they did.

BEAUTIFUL build. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ".....I don't think I can go back to 26" wheels."

Shorter riders are NOT supposed to feel this way! ;>)

Nice ride.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

My Serotta 29er

That frame is identical to my custom 29er from Serotta. Paint scheme and all. Mine is due to ship next week. I will post pics of the entire build up. How do you like the ride and quality of the craftsmanship?

I really chewing nails now I cant wait......

Randy

The Duuude, man...
    Gorgeous, really nice blend of raw-ti and paint...

Curious if you have your saddle all the way back on purpose. Whenever I see an extremely laid back post, coupled with the saddle all the way back in the rails, and in this case a rather long stem with a neg angle, I can't help but suspect that a size or 2 larger frame with a normal post with saddle positioned in the middle of the rails and an average length stem might have been warranted.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Awesome bike! My Serotta road bike is the best bike I have owned. In my opinion, the Serotta fit cycle is the best measurement system in the business.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01

Curious if you have your saddle all the way back on purpose. Whenever I see an extremely laid back post, coupled with the saddle all the way back in the rails, and in this case a rather long stem with a neg angle, I can't help but suspect that a size or 2 larger frame with a normal post with saddle positioned in the middle of the rails and an average length stem might have been warranted.

Good eye, longish stem also (for a small bike). I'd be anxious to hear what's up as the frame is custom.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

I wondered as well, but I tried to think about the plusses. With this setup, wouldn't he be further over the rear wheel? BTW, is that akin to having shorter chainstays or just a shallower ST angle? Also, he'll have better standover than if he went to a larger size, unless Serotta is willing to slope the TT down more. Finally, with this setup, seems like it'd be easier to flip flop to a Midge bar.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I wondered as well, but I tried to think about the plusses.

same mindset here, i hate nitpicking others' bikes, especially fancy custom ones. buuut....what's the story with toe-overlap? it appears from the pictures that there is quite a bit of it. no?

the_dude

EDIT: went and took another look at the photos. maybe not. also forgot to mention, beautiful bike. i really like the paint scheme.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    ...i hate nitpicking others' bikes...
    Amen, and hopefully my post wasn't construed that way.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I didn't know that Serrota was doing mountain bikes any longer, let alone those "niche" 29'ers. Ha!

Beautiful bike. Love it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

TiMax

Thanks for the positive feedback...

The bike is right at 23lbs.
    The drop outs are the best part of the frame - the machined Ti took a while, but Serotta did a Great job on them.

The stem is an Easton EA70 with the paint rubbed off and the disk are from Hope.

I use 170mm cranks and for me they make all the difference.

I dropped my Reba to try the White Bros. - the dampening is Nice (no lockout needed) and the axle to crown is lower, but the fork does not seem as stiff as the Reba.

I recently switched back to FastTrack tires from the Schwalbe Albert as I missed the higher volume.

As far as the cockpit - the bike is built around a 120 stem (run negative for the higher front end) which made the top tube 22.7in.

I believe the rails on the Rival saddle are standard but with shorter cranks and a steeper seat tube angle that is where I lined up.

I will check the fit again and re post.

Still, say all you like - it rides Awesome and I clear things on this bike I have never cleared before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It seems as though I may have missed one.

Serotta had made sure of solving the toe overlap when I told them I wanted to run a Reba.

Luckily, there is no toe overlap issue with the new White Bros. as well.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

XC setup. 120 stem is pretty normal for an XC ride (or at least it used to be before everyone wanted their XC bikes set up like Freeride bikes) and the setback post is also normal, it's just that everyone is used to straight posts....which is kind of funny since the default STAs for the industry has never really changed. I guess people have just adjusted to riding more forward. The way Easton posts are made (clamp up & back) makes them look like they have more setback than they do, but they're normal also (25mmish). A setback post can get you back where you need to be while allowing a steeper seattube angle if you want to run the chainstays as short as possible and that's what it looks like Serotta did. Cool bike. Pricey as hell I bet!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    XC setup. 120 stem is pretty normal for an XC ride
    Up until circa 1998, yes.

I have nothing against:
    *layback posts - I almost universally run a layback post
    *saddles slid all the way back in the rails
    *long stems for small size frames/riders

I'm merely commenting as an interested observer, that when someone runs:
    *longest offset post you can buy
    *saddle slid all the way back
    *long stem
    *and does all this on a smaller sized fully custom bike

...That it makes me curious as to if it was all done on purpose, or maybe just set-up bugs that are yet to be worked out. I know on my current bike, it's comprised somewhat of grab-bag items, so the post and stem in particular are not dead-nuts on what I would choose if I was building it custom with a budget greater than "whatever is laying around"...

So, more curiosity than anything. I think the bike is dead-fockin' georgeous...Ti and Orange...nothing better...period.
    Last edited by ncj01; 09-18-2006 at 11:29 AM.
    FS: Everything