Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,277

    The Serfas Krest 9'r 29x2.10

    Received this shortly after interbike.

    Turns out to be higher volume than I expected.

    Serfas Krest 9'r 29x2.10
    MSRP: <$30
    Wire bead, 60tpi, 830g

    Tread width: 54.5mm / 2.15"
    Casing width: 53.8 / 2.12
    Casing ht.: 50.0
    Tread depth: 4.3mm center / 4.9 edge
    Radius: 359mm to widest point / 373 to top
    Volume Index: 26.9

    krest.jpg
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  2. #2
    29 some of the time...
    Reputation: AL29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,945
    Sheesh, they could have called it 2.25-2.35 like the rest and fit right in. 830g is okay for a 2.35, but is a bit heavy for a 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,277
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Sheesh, they could have called it 2.25-2.35 like the rest and fit right in. 830g is okay for a 2.35, but is a bit heavy for a 2.1
    mmm...first you think they could have labeled it as bigger then say it is heavy for a 2.1?

    Remember this a wire bead, sub $30 tire with a substantial tread. And it has a puncture resistant belt under the tread. Does not have the "cheap" feel of some budget tires, either.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: EDDIE JONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,368
    That actually looka like it would be a good tread for Alabama singletrack. Kinda Rampy/Nevegalish the way they ramped the center knobs and did the transition knobs

  5. #5
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,073
    Shiggy: Are those knobs about the size of a Dry X's? It's hard to tell from the pic, but they look inbetween that of the Dry X and a Rampage.

    Those puncture resistant belts worth a hoot off road?

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Shiggy: Are those knobs about the size of a Dry X's? It's hard to tell from the pic, but they look inbetween that of the Dry X and a Rampage.

    Those puncture resistant belts worth a hoot off road?
    Tread blocks are similar in size (and only in size) to the Ignitor, and deeper than most. Bigger than the Dry X, smaller than the Rampage.

    No idea if the belt is worth much on dirt but all Serfas tires use it. It could not hurt.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    That actually looka like it would be a good tread for Alabama singletrack.
    I had the same thought
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: EDDIE JONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,368
    Let's get some and ride

  9. #9
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,650
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    mmm...first you think they could have labeled it as bigger then say it is heavy for a 2.1?

    Remember this a wire bead, sub $30 tire with a substantial tread. And it has a puncture resistant belt under the tread. Does not have the "cheap" feel of some budget tires, either.
    Does the belt give it the "rough" ride, like I feel the Exi has?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,277
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Does the belt give it the "rough" ride, like I feel the Exi has?
    Good question and I do not know yet
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    755
    is this the same tire mc has been testing with the gordo rims?

  12. #12
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,073

    Stiff ride

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Tread blocks are similar in size (and only in size) to the Ignitor, and deeper than most. Bigger than the Dry X, smaller than the Rampage.

    No idea if the belt is worth much on dirt but all Serfas tires use it. It could not hurt.
    First off, thanks for the answers shiggy!

    Ignitor sized blocks but deeper? Sounds like it might be ACX-ish? Good grippy tire? We'll see after your first rides, I'm sure.

    The reason for the question about the puncture protection belt was twofold- one side of that was its actual function, which you said you didn't know about yet, the other side of the question is what slocaus brings up.

    My experience with road/pavement tires that have this sort of thing is that they are not only heavier than tires without it, but much less forgiving/supple. I would think that if the Serfas tire is similar to what I have seen then I would expect them to be harsh and have plenty of rolling resistance. Again, I'll wait for your considered opinion on this matter until after you've ridden them. Thanks again!

  13. #13
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,073

    Nope!

    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    is this the same tire mc has been testing with the gordo rims?
    Not Serfas tires, nor are they Gordo rims. Not the ones he has been testing for the last months anyway.

    If he has a pre-production set of Gordo rims, they would be very fresh, not something he has been riding lately.

    Hint: The tires he is testing were the same as on Niner's WFO 9 prototype at Interbike. Definitely not a Serfas tire and much, much bigger than this Serfas tire.

  14. #14
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    here is a pic from the Serfas website

    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  15. #15
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    First off, thanks for the answers shiggy!

    Ignitor sized blocks but deeper? Sounds like it might be ACX-ish? Good grippy tire? We'll see after your first rides, I'm sure.

    The reason for the question about the puncture protection belt was twofold- one side of that was its actual function, which you said you didn't know about yet, the other side of the question is what slocaus brings up.

    My experience with road/pavement tires that have this sort of thing is that they are not only heavier than tires without it, but much less forgiving/supple. I would think that if the Serfas tire is similar to what I have seen then I would expect them to be harsh and have plenty of rolling resistance. Again, I'll wait for your considered opinion on this matter until after you've ridden them. Thanks again!
    The tread is tighter than the ACX.

    The belt does not feel any stiffer in the hand than other casings. You can feel a bit of extra thickness.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  16. #16
    29 some of the time...
    Reputation: AL29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    mmm...first you think they could have labeled it as bigger then say it is heavy for a 2.1?

    Remember this a wire bead, sub $30 tire with a substantial tread. And it has a puncture resistant belt under the tread. Does not have the "cheap" feel of some budget tires, either.
    Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the web. I was poking fun at the fact that it is about the same size as the 2.2-2.35 current offerings. Next I was putting out a bit of sarcasm on the people who would look at tires only by the numbers. A 2.1 of that weight wouldn't market as well as a 2.3 due to the perceived lower volume vs weight
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

  17. #17
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    Anyone riding these tires yet?




    I've ordered one, to replace my ailing Crossmark (which is my benchmark for a great rolling rear tire and has lasted me 635 miles to date), from http://michaelscycles.net/itemdetail...gId=39&id=1945 for the paltry sume of $24.99. I figure for that price, it's worth an experiment.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  18. #18
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,650
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Anyone riding these tires yet?
    for the paltry sum of $24.99. I figure for that price, it's worth an experiment.
    I'm curious how it will do in moderate mud; maybe clear better than the Rampage?

    Keep us informed.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  19. #19
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I'm curious how it will do in moderate mud; maybe clear better than the Rampage?

    Keep us informed.
    Actually - I missed the part about the Krest weighing 830 grams so I tried to cancel my order with the company. The Crossmark weighs anywhere between 620-705 from what I can find. No need to add the weight. If it were comparable, I'd probably let it be....

    Sorry to disappoint.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  20. #20
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,676
    Bump... Yep, we're going waaaaaaayyyyy back!

    Anyone ride these yet? I've used lined tires before and they have had a stiffer, less forgiving feel to them. Wondering if that's the case here as well.
    Looking for some feedback, folks. Where are my fellow budget 9er riders?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,234
    Hmm, I am glad you dug this up. These look like interesting tires and I happen to recently spot a set of my local REI for $15 each. I may go back and see if they still have them.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

  22. #22
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,277
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    Bump... Yep, we're going waaaaaaayyyyy back!

    Anyone ride these yet? I've used lined tires before and they have had a stiffer, less forgiving feel to them. Wondering if that's the case here as well.
    Looking for some feedback, folks. Where are my fellow budget 9er riders?
    Not really. I do not notice any harshness to speak of.

    It is a good tire for dry intermediate to loose condition and OK on hard pack. Will pack up in the wet and can be a bit skatey on hardpack, especially under braking. Wears well and rolls pretty well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  23. #23
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    ...
    Shiggy, when is your site going to be back up to full power? It's one of those "don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" things .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  24. #24
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,676
    Thanks for the feedback, Shiggy. Sounds like a great tire, but not for where I usually ride. Some folks that ride in the loose stuff are going to get a great deal from REI though.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,911
    I like the pricepoint-need something in the sub-30 range for the people buying the new crop of "entry-level" 29-ers to replace their stock tires with...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •