Thread: Serfas Krest

Ovaries on the Outside

Serfas Krest

I stumbled across some really cheap serfas crest tires on rei.com, but don't know anything about them. Anybody have any information?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As the saying goes, light, durable, cheap, pick two. In this case, durable and cheap are chosen at the cost of weight. Not a serious off road tire, but probably decent of a commuter or winter bike when you just don't care. Might be a good tire to self stud for ice races.

mtbr member
    I'm legitimately curious as to why this tire would not be a serious off road tire. It seems to have some serious tread going on.
    Thanks,
    -Sean

mtbr member
    almost looks like a nevegal...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I bought one for a rear snow tire. It works well for that, gripping everything but ice at about 25 psi. But it felt slow on the two dirt rides I made; could really feel the resistance.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Well, ordered two. Since I'm a slow rider I think those tires and I were meant for each other.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

workin' it Administrator
    post a report of these those that have ridden them. Looks like a good knobby albeit probably a smallish casing. Let us know as that is a great price for a full knob tire.
    Try this: HTFU

Self-defeatist
    Seems like an all-right tire for the money. I seem to remember that there's a flat-resistant layer in the tire. Some people might put up with the weight for better flat protection.

Have to laugh at the above reveiws (links), Nevegal: 2#1oz, Krest: 1#14oz, "...almost a pound lighter PER tire!" Now, I'm more used to the metric system, but I can't help but feel the math's a little off there.

Nice to see a comparo shot against teh Nevegal, though. The Nev looks much bigger.

C.

edit: the weight issue is pointed out in the comments.
    I'm covered in beer.

MTB B'dos
    Yup, that dude doesn't know sweet F* all about weights obviously There's 3oz difference and 16oz make a pound, so that's a little less than a 1/4lb difference or 85g.
    Doesn't look bad for the price, but I'll just wait for reports to start coming in from the guinea pigs

Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    Seems like an all-right tire for the money. I seem to remember that there's a flat-resistant layer in the tire. Some people might put up with the weight for better flat protection.

Have to laugh at the above reveiws (links), Nevegal: 2#1oz, Krest: 1#14oz, "...almost a pound lighter PER tire!" Now, I'm more used to the metric system, but I can't help but feel the math's a little off there.

Nice to see a comparo shot against teh Nevegal, though. The Nev looks much bigger.

C.

edit: the weight issue is pointed out in the comments.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG

Yeah it does. Though depending on your trails one might not need a bigger tire. But you mentioning the size point brings up another little tick. That being how they measured the tire. Some companies measure the diameter over he knobs while others don't.

Hopefully thought this will encourage others to start making some lower priced 29er tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just got a set of Rampages, so I replaced the Krest rear tire with a Rampage. The Krest wins hands down for traction on snow, and my "slow" comment may be off. The Krest seems faster on hard-packed snow than the Rampage. If we ever get spring here, I'll compare them on dirt. I might have to rethink this tire.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I just switched the Rampages for the Krests. Since my Rampages were really worn, it is probably not fair to compare grip, but the Krests have gripped really well and don't seem too much smaller than the Rampages. I've been getting over some of the bare and wet logs a little easier because of them, so I am pretty happy. I used them for a forty mile camp trip and they performed well, but I think they are slow rollers. Totally worth it though, especially for the price.

I wish I could go back and change the thread header though- seems I was thinking about teeth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They came on my bike. They were an ok tire, I felt the resistance more. If you don't mind that, I thought they performed ok on the trails. I put Ignitors on because I wanted that bike to be faster.