Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Selling/trading my roadie for a 29er - could use some advice.

656 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dclutter1 
#1 ·
I succumbed to peer pressure from my dirty mtb friends and picked up a cheap Gary Fisher Tassajara to get started. Long story short: I got hooked.

Now, I'm thinking about selling my roadbike to fund something a little nicer, and with bigger wheels. I should be able to get $600-700 for my RB. What I'm unsure about is whether or not I should buy a $600-1000 new bike or look for something nicer but a couple of years old.

If I decide to consider trades; can anyone tell me what's comparable in value to a 2011 trek 2.1 in excellent condition? The 2.1 is their mid level (component-wise) roadbike, if you're not familiar.

I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred on top of whatever I get from my RB. I'll be riding mostly single track med-highly technical, moderate climbing. I'll probably keep the GF for pulling the kids in the trailer since I don't think my trailer's mount will work with disk brakes.

I'm looking for any thoughts or experience to help guide my decision. I'd also be happy to hear recommendations on particular models to look for.

#3 ·
If as you say, "You're hooked" then I fear you're in for a big surprise when you figure out that what you really want is probably in the $2000+ price range :D Seriously, if you've an idea about fit, or your friends do you could buy yourself a nice Airborne Seeker or Goblin. They're a great value for money, but you need to be able to do a bit of wrenching to set them up and you need to know fit/geo to get the right size for you. Personally I prefer the paint on the Seeker, but the parts on the Goblin. As to your roadie, haven't a freakin clue, I have nothing to do with those things :p

#5 ·
you're in for a big surprise when you figure out that what you really want is probably in the $2000+
Hahaha, unfortunately, that's the story of my life.

That Goblin does look pretty sweet. I could probably manage to put it together but I think I'd rather not. That IS still pretty tempting though.

spend more on a new bike or buy used. >$1000 won't buy very much these days unless you find a great deal on craigslist
Yeah, I haven't started looking really hard yet but I haven't noticed anything less than about $1600 (new) with a decent setup.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.