Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269

    SE Stout 29er sizing question, or 29er sizing in general

    Ive tried to do my homework. I just need more opinions.

    Here SE Stout 29er vs. Redline Monocog 29er
    some people discuss the fit and size of their SE Stout 29er:

    Person #1: I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam and the 15" frame fits perfectly. The stem is a little short but it fits me.

    Person #2: I'm 5' 11" with a 30" inseam and went with the 17". I rode the 19" and the 17" back to back a few times before deciding. If I was doing XC or touring on it the 19" would have been a better fit.

    Kinda conflicting results! The person with the longer inseam likes the 15" and the shorter inseam guy thought the 19" might offer more comfort, even though he choose the 17". *Sigh

    I am 5'10, 33" inseam. Since I have long legs though I have a short torso. Both my bikes now have a 23.5 EFTT, and thats a bit long for me. Ive had to use much shorter stems on both bikes. Additionally I do like a decent leg extension.

    Now here is the geometry for the bike: http://www.sebikes.com/Singlespeed/29-Stout.aspx.
    Quick specs are:
    17" 23.7 EFTT and 30.9 Standover
    19" 24.5 EFTT and 32.0 Standover

    I guess Im just looking for opinions, since Im not sure what matters most, Standover or EFTT, especially on a 29" bike which Ive never owned.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    235
    I own a 2008 model (aluminum) and I am 6'1" and ride the medium version.

    The most important is ETT length. And the ETT that is comfortable for you is a personal thing. I like an ETT at right about 24" and then adjust my stem length and bar sweep to get the fit I like.

    The SE for me is more of a commuter bike so I have it set up with a more upright position but still aggressive enough to ride on single track if necessary.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    gdlals, would the medium you are referring to be the 19"? there is the 15, 17, 19, and 21 lol.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    235
    oh yeah, sorry, was thinking about my Racer X 29er which is the medium size.

    The SE Stout is the 19" version

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    What is your home address and hours you work?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX
    Ive tried to do my homework. I just need more opinions.

    Here SE Stout 29er vs. Redline Monocog 29er
    some people discuss the fit and size of their SE Stout 29er:

    Person #1: I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam and the 15" frame fits perfectly. The stem is a little short but it fits me.

    Person #2: I'm 5' 11" with a 30" inseam and went with the 17". I rode the 19" and the 17" back to back a few times before deciding. If I was doing XC or touring on it the 19" would have been a better fit.

    Kinda conflicting results! The person with the longer inseam likes the 15" and the shorter inseam guy thought the 19" might offer more comfort, even though he choose the 17". *Sigh

    I am 5'10, 33" inseam. Since I have long legs though I have a short torso. Both my bikes now have a 23.5 EFTT, and thats a bit long for me. Ive had to use much shorter stems on both bikes. Additionally I do like a decent leg extension.

    Now here is the geometry for the bike: http://www.sebikes.com/Singlespeed/29-Stout.aspx.
    Quick specs are:
    17" 23.7 EFTT and 30.9 Standover
    19" 24.5 EFTT and 32.0 Standover

    I guess Im just looking for opinions, since Im not sure what matters most, Standover or EFTT, especially on a 29" bike which Ive never owned.

    Thanks!
    ETT trumps standover in importance but not to the guy who just landed on his balls.
    To me your fit is pretty easy since you stated what correct top tube length you prefer.
    You want the 17 because it has the greatest standover and proper ETT. A side note is...the head tubes on medium and large 29er's generally don't vary much...typically are both about 100mm so no really benefit of going 19 to get your bars up higher.
    As a further note, I am 6'1" and ride a 19 with ETT of 24.5" like the 19 you reference. I like to ride stretched out a bit and use a 140mm stem on this bike. I didn't go with the XL which would have put me on a more normal 120mm stem length because the Large has more standover and even with my 35" inseam the standover is OK but not excessive. The taller head tube of a 29er is what compromised standover for shorter legged riders and why head tube generally doesn't change until the XL size when very tall guys want the added bar height.

    In summary, If you are comfortable with a 23.5" ETT...a no brainer, get the 17 for standover.
    Last edited by dirtrider7; 04-29-2010 at 04:07 AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider7
    ETT trumps standover in importance but not to the guy who just landed on his balls.
    To me your fit is pretty easy since you stated what correct top tube length you prefer.
    You want the 17 because it has the greatest standover and proper ETT. A side note is...the head tubes on medium and large 29er's generally don't vary much...typically are both about 100mm so no really benefit of going 19 to get your bars up higher.
    As a further note, I am 6'1" and ride a 19 with ETT of 24.5" like the 19 you reference. I like to ride stretched out a bit and use a 140mm stem on this bike. I didn't go with the XL which would have put me on a more normal 120mm stem length because the Large has more standover and even with my 35" inseam the standover is OK but not excessive. The taller head tube of a 29er is what compromised standover for shorter legged riders and why head tube generally doesn't change until the XL size when very tall guys want the added bar height.

    In summary, If you are comfortable with a 23.5" ETT...a no brainer, get the 17 for standover.
    Thank You very much, just the info I was looking for.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    32
    I'm 5'7" with a 32.5" inseam and I just ordered a 17" Stout. I really hope it's a good fit. I think there's a decent chance I'll be buying a shorter stem, as I've had to with pretty much every other bike I've owned.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    Well I pulled the trigger on the 17" its got the same specs as my 19" IronHorse so Ive gotta go by that.

    Popsicleian we will have alot to talk about in the upcomming weeks.

    Did you order yours from JensonUSA? And if so did you get the build? I went for it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by popsicleian
    I'm 5'7" with a 32.5" inseam and I just ordered a 17" Stout. I really hope it's a good fit. I think there's a decent chance I'll be buying a shorter stem, as I've had to with pretty much every other bike I've owned.
    Pop,
    I also think you chose the right frame size. A 15 would be a bit small for you.
    No foul in running a shorter stem if you feel a bit stretched out.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX
    Well I pulled the trigger on the 17" its got the same specs as my 19" IronHorse so Ive gotta go by that.

    Popsicleian we will have alot to talk about in the upcomming weeks.

    Did you order yours from JensonUSA? And if so did you get the build? I went for it.
    Yeah, I got mine on Jenson. The pro build was definitely a selling point, and it was even cheaper than the one on bikesdirect.

    Mine's supposed to get here next Tuesday, but I'll be out of town for work until next Friday night. Can't wait to get it put together and start riding!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    How do you know when its supposed to get here already?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX
    How do you know when its supposed to get here already?
    I ordered it last Friday or Saturday, and I got an email last night (Thurs.) with shipping info and tracking number. I think you have to allow three weekdays for the build. You can also check the order status on their website.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    16
    I'm 6'4" and ordered the 21". Hopefully it'll fit me.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    popsicleian and sunbrn be sure to come back into this thread and post a pic or two or discuss setup, tips, things to watch out for and anything Stout related.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX
    popsicleian and sunbrn be sure to come back into this thread and post a pic or two or discuss setup, tips, things to watch out for and anything Stout related.
    Got delivered this evening. Already put together and rode around the block a few times. It rides real nice. It feels like it fits me well, I just have never ridden a mtb before much less a 29". All that needed built was to install the wheels, handlebar, seat/post, and pedals. The brakes were even adjusted right down to the pads. Nice. Here are a few pics:








  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    Wow that looks so nice, mine is comming this Tuesday! Thanks for the pics!

  18. #18
    VENI VEDI BIKI
    Reputation: skankingbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    663
    I am 5'9" with a 30 inseam. 55cm roadbikes seem to long, and a 18 26er is too long.

    I am think a 15 in the Stout would be right for me. Yes?????

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    Yes that sounds right.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    I'm 6'7, ordered the 2010 stout yesterday in a 21" (no brainer for my size). To be honest I got the newer (and pricier since it's not on '09 clearance) version for the green woodgrain paintjob alone.. so we'll see if it pays off or ends up looking like some hideous swamp monster.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch88
    I'm 6'7, ordered the 2010 stout yesterday in a 21" (no brainer for my size). To be honest I got the newer (and pricier since it's not on '09 clearance) version for the green woodgrain paintjob alone.. so we'll see if it pays off or ends up looking like some hideous swamp monster.
    I think it'll look better in person than it does in photos.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mlk3454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    132
    If this helps, I am 5'11" with a 31" inseam and bought the 19" (dark green pain job 2009?) and rode it for a year. I personally felt that it was not the perfect fit for me and looking back after the fact, the 17" would have been much better for me.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    32
    I finally built mine up this weekend. I haven't had a chance to do any trail riding with it, but I rode it to work this morning (12 miles each way). The fit seems right (I'm 5'7" with a 32.5" inseam and I bought the size 17). Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the bike. I've never owned a bike with nutted wheel axles before and no one around here seems to stock a portable 15mm wrench, so I had to bring my pedal wrench in my backpack in case of a flat. I guess I'll have to order a tool online. I dont think I have the chain tug set up correctly either, I need to play with it some more.

    The brakes kind of suck, and were not very well set up out of the box. I have BB7 discs on my only other bike (Salsa La Cruz) and I really can't imagine sticking with the V brakes. They're fine for now, but will definitely be replaced in the next month or two.

    Otherwise the bike seems pretty solid. None of the parts are light, but none seem too chintzy. I'm not crazy about the bars, but I'm not sure if I'll buy some with more sweep or maybe just try some Ergons. The stock pedals are absolute bricks, but I'm not using them anyway.

    I'm pretty happy with the purchase and I don't think I could have done any better for the money. I'll try to post some pics later if I can. I'm also happy to answer anyone's questions about the bike.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    269
    Oh hell yes. Got mine in the mail just a bit ago. First off the frame was missing paint in a bunch of spots. I wonder if I should contact Jenson? If I bought a $1000 bike I would be pissed if it came like this. But for now, lets ride!

    I put the seat to maximum. and set everything up, put my shimano clipless on. The front brake is amazing, but the back one is for looks. It needs some adjusting. Filled tires to 30 psi.

    My first ride is WOW. I feel like a King I'm up so high! Its smooth and has a great upright riding position for crusing around town, and just riding. So I made some adjustments then I hit the most technical singletrack trail we have out of 30 mile system of trails. Its a nasty northeast trail with everything and then some. I did not manage to make it up the really steep parts with the bike. Nor will I ever I imagine. But everything else was doable. I really didnt notice I didnt have suspension that much, comming from a 100mm front 3.5inch rear FS bike.

    So Im happy as hell about this bike. The 17" is PLENTY big for me. Oh and the stock grips have to GO. I need to get a bashring too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SE Stout 29er sizing question, or 29er sizing in general-100_0365.jpg  

    Last edited by RockadileSX; 05-11-2010 at 02:05 PM.

  25. #25
    VENI VEDI BIKI
    Reputation: skankingbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    663
    So it seem that the frame is ok, but the brakes, seat, pedals, and grips suck, and the "pro build" doesn't include brake alignment........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •