mtbr member

Scratchbuilt Banshee Prime vs Stock Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon

Hi all!

I have the opportunity to build a Banshee Prime with fox and x.9 for about the same amount of money as an SJ FSR Comp Carbon with XT.

The SJ should be a little lighter than the Prime but I don't know really. Heart says Prime, Head says SJ.

/M

mtbr member
    For me there would be no question. I've ridden a Stumpjumper FSR, not carbon but aluminum, and was underwhelmed. I've never ridden a Prime but if I needed/wanted a full suspension bike I'd get the Prime in a heartbeat. I'm biased though. I ride a Banshee Paradox and like the bike and company a lot. It's a small company with owners who are involved in riding and developing their products.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I say go with your heart ;-)

I haven't ridden the Speshy, so my advice is to ride both (if possible) and go with the one you have the most fun on. But I friggin love my Prime (I recently converted it to 2x10) so I don't think you'll go wrong there. Granted, my bike is a pre-production version, but every change made for the production version was positive, imo.

BTW, does anyone else think that the stem lengths spec'ed on the SJ FSR are strange? 60mm for the small, 75mm for the medium, and 90mm for the L and XL.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    couple questions of course; how much weight diff do you reckon in the end? lots of cross over with both bikes, but plainly, the Prime is more descend oriented, and will feel quite different to ride generally i would strongly suggest. as these things so often do, it comes down to what part of the ride you value most, where you ride (BC or Kansas?) and who you ride with. fun rides, puke rides trying to drop each other all day, or....? hands down though, that Prime is extrodinarily cool and drool worthy, dam....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You don't mention where you live/ride and your needs for a new rig. That would make all the difference.

I've owned a Stumpy (not the carbon) and thought it was a very, very nice bike. If I were in your shoes and based on how I ride (climbing big tech stuff to shred the downs), I'd buy the Banshee.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    I say go with your heart ;-)

I haven't ridden the Speshy, so my advice is to ride both (if possible) and go with the one you have the most fun on. But I friggin love my Prime (I recently converted it to 2x10) so I don't think you'll go wrong there. Granted, my bike is a pre-production version, but every change made for the production version was positive, imo.

Nice bike and geometry looks nice as well. Wish they made an in between size with the reach of the XL on a L standover. I know I could run a set back post and 120mm stem and get there, but would really like to see the distance taken up in the frame.

mtbr member
    ^ that bike is looking amazing!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what are weights of Prime's coming in at anyways? is breaking the 30lb mark remotely possible?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    what are weights of Prime's coming in at anyways? is breaking the 30lb mark remotely possible?
    I am unsure of the production frame weights. My bike as pictured weighs just over 31 lbs (flow/ZTR HD wheelset, heavy cassette, stem, and handlebar). I know Banshee eliminated more weight with a dropout and rear triangle redesign. So yes, sub-30 lbs is possible. But the beautiful thing, IMO, is the lateral stiffness of the frame, and the fact that it's a pretty efficient pedaler. So much fun!
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LSV2NV View Post
    ^ that bike is looking amazing!!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't write off the FSR. I have owned one for 2 years (and quite a few FS 29er's before that) and the Spesh is a very nice bike indeed. Slack front, short CS's (shorter then the Prime IIRC), and an extremely efficient pedlar.

The prime is alot of bike - OTT for my riding, but it does look the dogs

As said, it would probably come down to riding terrain

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Split the difference and build the Prime with XT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bone do u have the brain on ur stumpy?
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY View Post
    Bone do u have the brain on ur stumpy?
    Yup