mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Scott Spark 29 Comp or GT Sensor 9R Elite??

whats up guys .... ive been riding for a little less than a year on an old 26" HT (doesnt even have a brand). want to go 29 so i figure might as well go FS too. i ride road during the week because its all i can do but love to hit trails like oleta, santos, markham park in FL on the weekend or whenever i can. ill lock out the rear sus when i hit the road. maybe FS is overkill idk but i wanna have the right rig in case i need it. anyway, heres the links to the bike specs, plz tell me what u guys think. i can get the Scott for $1400 and the GT for $1100, and im not sure if the price difference is worth it for the scott since im a noob. any other thoughts are welcome and appreciated as well. thanks again!

GT Sensor 9R Elite 29er Mountain Bike - Giantnerd®

Scott Spark 29 Comp - WinterParkCycles.com - Orlando, Florida

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm a big fan of the Sensor, but since you are in Florida the 100mm travel Scott probably makes more sense than the 120mm Sensor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks for the input

Rogue Exterminator
    I actually just ordered the GT and am waiting for it to arrive.
    I was looking at a Scott prior to seeing that deal on Giant Nerd earlier.

Both great bikes and although I am partial to Scott over GT I say you can't go wrong with either.

One question though, what makes you want a full suspension living in Florida?

I don't think FS is something you buy as a "just in case you need it" type thing.
    I ride a hard tail now and live in Western NC and ride Pisgah and Dupont all the time.
    Honestly I believe you will be much happier on a hard tail in your area than on a FS.
    Even in my area where you can benefit from a FS I will still keep my HT.

mtbr member
    Not sure that the FS will be much benefit in FL. The pricing on the GT Sensor 9R at Giantnerd is very intriguing if the 33lb weight doesn't sway your decision. I am close to getting the GT Carbon 9R HT at Giantnerd but still doing my research before making my decision.

The others on my short list are the Sette Rozza x7 at Pricepoint ($1,000) and used bikes on Craigslist. I am in no hurry and it will likely be February before I commit. Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by kopavi; 01-18-2013 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Scott will probably weigh around 30lbs I think. Personally for that price range would go with a hard tail like a Scale, better components and lot less weight for the $. Save up for a lighter fully down the road.