mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Scott scale team, giant xtc 2, or flash 2?

Title says it all. These all fall within my budget range of $1400 to $1800 cdn and seem to be great bikes. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I could also by the xtc frame and build something up.

mtbr member
    If you didn't upgrade the front shock on the scott (you'd be getting a coil shock vs air on the other two), I would def say either the other two. The giant xtc 2 is a pretty nice ride. It has a 15 mm thru axle up front. I think the Cannondale has slightly nicer components, but you will be using the lefty front fork and not all bike shops carry stuff for that shock. I also think that the front hub is different (not saying to stay away from it, just be aware of it). I would def ride the cannondale and see how you like it. I def enjoy riding my girlfriends XtC 2. I don't think you could go wrong with getting the Giant frame and building up either. I hate bike shopping. Kinda in the same boat. I really being drawn twards the Spec SJ 29er comp but I'm partial to Spec.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree I wouldn't probably look at the scott, for reasons above. I have a Cannondale F29 and really enjoy it, very light weight. The lefty is kind of different looking if you are used to the traditional fork set-up, but it was mostly for weight savings. The Giant is very nice as well, they have a solid frame that you could build up as you go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You both recommended the xtc 2, the less expensive bike by hundreds of dollars. Sweet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    XTC2 would also be my choice of the ones you mention. Also consider the Salsa El Mar from Speedgoat for $1749. Steel frame and sweet bike...
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was looking at the XTC 1 and Flash 29er 1 recently. Ended up going with the Flash. The Giant felt a little heavy to me, more sluggish than the Cdale. The Lefty is a nice fork, and maintenance has been pretty minimal so far.

The XTC 2 and Flash 2 are the same frames so I felt this was still a relevant comparison. I would also look at the Trek/GF X-Cal. That was my favorite riding bike in the search. Its a very fun and spirited ride. I wanted a better component spec though.

mtbr member
    The front fork on the XtC 2 is a low pressure fork and you get a full 100mm of travel. From what I've researched, its a pretty reliable fork, but not the lightest. It rides very smooth. My cannondale has 80 mm and the XtC with the 100mm is def nicer. The color scheme on the XtC 2 is pretty sick too. I def would not rule out the cannondale and would give it a good ride. I think that if you liked the flash 2, you be less likely to get component upgrade fever. I bought the XtC 2 for my girlfriend and she is totally happy with it.

When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    XTC2 and with a few upgrades you can easily knock it down to 25 lbs. I tried a bunch of 9'ers at this price point and the Giant won hands down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott scale team, giant xtc 2, or flash 2?-2.jpg