mtbr member
    May 2013

Scott scale 940 vs spec carve pro ?

Another comparo question about bikes. Thing is I am still a noob but I'm already riding trails.
    my current bike though rookie model is pretty decent (13' specialized HR sport disc 29er) and I love it ! But it still is entry level.
    I love specialized bikes but the carve pro is $2000 cash at my local bike shop.
    so I have found another bike shop close to where I work that will give me an awesome price on a 13 Scott scale 940 plus accessories and they have a local bank that will finance the bike !
    so it's really an awesome deal.
    but before I pull the trigger I really want to know opinions on the Scott.
    i already tried the carve and I love it.
    I will try the Scott in the coming days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If u can get a really good price on the 940 then it's good as gold. Test ride one and see what u think, it's geo will be different from your Hardrock.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the input, it does look sweet ! Very good components, I just wanna try it.
    But will never really be able to compare it unless I buy it and take it to the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is a good bike a nice step up. But ride a 930 while you're there. See what deal you can get on that-- Carbon.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    They have a sweet one in the shop and its awesome but like I said I'm still a noob.
    Today I was at snowhill and since I had not ridden in a while I took it easy and still fell only twice :-)
    So I'm not at the point where I can really justify a carbon bike. I'm not old but not a kid either (34) so maybe in a couple of years I can see where I'm at in this hobby.
    For now the 940 seems to fit my bill perfectly .

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Geometry is a little different between the Carve and Scott. The Scott is a little lower to the ground. The Carve will probably be closer to your Hard Rock. Make sure the Scott fits. The Carve is a little closer spec-wise to the Scale 950 than 940.

And... don't finance a bike especially if you already have one. Should be able to save up $2000 in a year or so and probably a whole lot more. Especially if you're a noob like you say, you'll know yourself better. It would kind of suck to buy the Scott or Specialized then decide that an all mountain or full suspension bike would have been a better fit.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yeah, the carve feels similar to my hard rock just way lighter and more sporty and I love the 2x10 on the carve !
    940 is a little better spec'd out and a really good deal.
    I was really thinking of riding the crap out of my hard rock till next years tax return but my brother just moved to Orlando and I was gonna buy him a used bike off of CL but haven't found a decent one at a good price.
    So the best thing I could think of was getting an upgrade for me and letting him ride with me on my HR :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Carve geo is slightly dif from Hardrock, shorter chainstays, 100mm fork travel, and a few other tweaks. I tested a Hardrock and actually liked its setup more so than the Trek Mamba and Giant Talon. When I hopped on the Scale though, it felt like home.

mtbr member

Scott scale 940 vs spec carve pro ?

I haven't ridden the Carve, but I looked at the Carve Pro last week and the Stumpjumper Comp Evo 29. I really didn't like them as much as I thought I would. I wound up buying a Scale 940 from a different shop. I haven't hit the trail with it yet, but I'm in love with it already. I managed to get it for $1989 before tax.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebomberx View Post
    I haven't ridden the Carve, but I looked at the Carve Pro last week and the Stumpjumper Comp Evo 29. I really didn't like them as much as I thought I would. I wound up buying a Scale 940 from a different shop. I haven't hit the trail with it yet, but I'm in love with it already. I managed to get it for $1989 before tax.
    If it was a 2012 Carve, they were kinda heavy. I demoed the Expert and that is what I felt about it...i was spoiled by the S-Works stumpy HT earlier though . However, I believe they dropped the weight some for 2013 models....

EDIT: woops i thought u meant last summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    If it was a 2012 Carve, they were kinda heavy. I demoed the Expert and that is what I felt about it...i was spoiled by the S-Works stumpy HT earlier though . However, I believe they dropped the weight some for 2013 models....

EDIT: woops i thought u meant last summer.
    No, these were all 2013 models. Even still, the Carve Pro felt heavier to me than an over $2000 bike should. I was surprised that the Evo 29 wasn't lighter considering it's a 1x10 - I did test ride the Evo. Granted, I didn't put any of the Specialized on the scale for comparison, but I did weigh the Scott Scale 940 and 950. The 940 in medium is right at 26 lbs and the 950 was like 26.15 lbs. The shop tossed my old Stumpjumper on the scale and it was right at 26 lbs as well. Considering the Scott is a 29er and my Stumpy is a 26, I'm happy with that. I just wish I didn't have to work today, so I can hit the trail with it.

mtbr member
    IIRC...my completely stock '13 Carve Pro (medium) was 27lbs. I'm at 25 now...still with the stock wheels.

The Pro comes with heavy SRAM S1200 cranks and house brand (Stout) wheels. I dropped almost a pound just by switching out the stock cranks to SLX.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys a LOT !
    I'm really digging the Scott, think its gonna be my next ride.