mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Scott Scale 940 vs Elite?

I am upgrading into the $1500-2000 range hard tail 29er. My local shop has got me sold on a Scott Scale (I think). I was doing research and am trying to understand which is better for me. I like light, firm, dependable, and FAST. The Elite is a race bike, but it seems the 940 is the top Aluminum bike set-up they make. I more than likely will be running it as a 1 by 10. I only race myself and friends and like to crash more often than not. The local trails are fast and mostly flat. I am 5'6" and I like the feel of the small. The Medium felt a little big, but OK. The small felt more agile. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I will be buying it more towards X-Mas and want to be sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A 2012 Elite should go for a discount over its 1500 original price, say 1300. It has a dual air Reba fork. The dual air means you can add 5psi less in the negative chamber for better small bump compliance. Unfortunately RockShox dropped the dual air feature this year and people aren't happy about it. I would go with the small Elite and change the brakes to SLX for the best bike at a better price too. I think bluesky has the brakes for 89.
    .BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 Ice Tech Disc Brake w/ Adapter
    A GS Shadow + rear derailleur would also be a good add.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Go entirely off feel. Which ever one feels better should be the winner. You're going to get a ton of different opinions on here when the most important factor is entirely up to you.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for the help I guess I just have to ride the medium and small a little more before I decide. It's just hard with a parking lot as a testing ground.

Also I don't mind paying the extra few hundreds for the 940. I am the person who would rather pay more upfront and not have to keep upgrading unless something really breaks. The only upgrade I am committed to is a new wheel set cause my LBS is going to sell me his used ones. I will be getting a 2013 so the dual air is out. More specifically is the 940 or the elite a better bike? I want to know why they would make a race bike with slx components but the 940 with almost all xt? Was it just so more could afford the elite and their top aluminum bike is the 940? They weigh the same so just confused on which is the actual better set up... Im not in any races but that doesnt mean i dont try and go as fast as i can all the time especially with friends. Thanks again for the advise.

mtbr member
    I have been looking for a 29er also and just ordered a Scott Scale 940 in medium. I am 5' 7" and the medium felt a bit better for me. I like some room to be able to move around and I felt the medium gave me that. I have a longer torso for my hight so that's probably why the medium feels good. I tried the Carve and liked it but I think you get better components with the Scale. The brakes on the Scale are Shimano which I prefer. I won't be doing any racing strictly CC riding. It will split time with my Mojo SL.