DMills
    Apr 2012

Scott Scale 940 v Trek Superfly AL Elite or up to Scale 930

Here's the dilemma - looking for a hardtail 29er in the 2k range with good components. I don't race but ride the trails fast for fun/fitness. I really want a good mix of nice frame with good solid components. Narrowed it down to the Scott Scale 940 (LBS selling for $1920) or the Trek Superfly AL Elite (LBS asking $2100). They're specd about the same, all 3x10, with a mix of SLX/XT parts, the Scott going with SLX brakes and the Trek with Deore. Neither had a great wheelset so I'd likely upgrade at some point..then there's the Scott Scale 930 - carbon frame, weighs about 2 lbs less than the other 2 bikes, 2x10, mix of SRAM X7/X9 components, Deore brakes, better wheelset (not great, but good with Syncros XR/DT Swiss rims and hubs), price from LBS $2500. I'm now leaning towards the Scale 930 but am looking for some opinions (or other options). Advice anyone??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would go with the 930 because of the carbon, the rear compliance and the WC racing geo of slack ht angle and short chainstays. SLX brakes as an upgrade. Rear tire chainstay clearance is a tight 68.5mm unchanged from the 2012 Expert.

DMills
    Apr 2012
    Thanks eb1888. I just looked closely at the geometry of each bike and your breakdown is dead-on and makes sense. I have fairly new XT brakes on my current bike, I could swap them out on the 930 and be good to go!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As long as it doesn't break the bank or lead to divorce, go carbon! I just bought a 960 and drooled over a 930 at the lbs. That's a sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Personally, I would spend a little extra and go with the 930 based on the specs. alone. However, components don't tell the whole story. If no true demo. bikes are available, then I would want to throw a leg over the 930 and the Superfly and at a minimum pedal them around the LBS parking lot and get a feel for both before making a decision.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    good advice