mtbr member
    May 2013

Scott Scale 940 - (Amatuer) Race Ready??

Coming back to Mtn Biking after about 15 year absence - last bike was Gary Fisher Mt Tam (XTR) which was a "good" bike back in the day. Since around 1999 I've been road racing and really focusing on CX. I've come to the conclusion that Road Riding / Racing is poor preparation for the CX season so... I'm going to ditch road riding in favor of Mtn biking as a extention of my CX training. Looking mainly at Scott since my LBS that sponsors our CX team carries them and they seem decent. The Scale 940 is about the top of my budget so unless there is a major compelling reason I'd opt for this bike versus the carbon 930. As stated - I'm looking at mountain biking to more replicate the bursts(sometimes sustained bursts ) of energy and bike handling necessary for CX. There are some evening races not far from my house that I would like to jump in - I have no illusions of winning but again would be good training for the CX season. Is the 940 race worthy - or will I be embarressed??.. It seems to be but what do I know?? Please don't post a lot of you should look at this bike or that bike - as stated, I'm going to get from the LBS that supports our team so I'm pretty limited to Jamis and Scott. Thanks for the help - I appreciate it.. Ride on....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Good bike to start with, SLX/XT build. Maybe check out what tires are good for racing in your area.(keep stock tires)

Get new pedals, I like eggbeaters with stiff soled shoes.

Have fun
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Check on the tires - not a stranger to picking tires (and tire pressure ) for the conditions from my experience with CX.

Will be using Time ATAC peddles as these are what are on my CX bikes (and all my Mtn shoes).

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate the help!!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    How exactly would a bike "embarrass" you at a race, unless it fell apart at the start line or caught fire or had dog poop all over the tires or something (note that I've managed 2 out of those 3 in my life)?

Seriously, if you're looking to suffer, get whatever is in your budget and go have fun. Any decent mountain bike is perfectly "raceable".

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Walt -

"Touche" - you are correct. Only I can embarrass myself at a race - have done it many times and will do it again in the future I'm sure. Usually its pulling out on the 2nd lap of a CX race because I puked myself and had to stop before I pooped my pants and got a nose bleed and brain anurism . I'm guessing by your last line that its a "decent" bike that will serve me well both on the trail and on an (occassional) race course. That's what I'm looking for. I don't want or need the best (I know my limitations) but at the same time I don't want to have to spend brain energy wondering about my equipment. I have enough to worry about regarding my own performance. At 46 I won't say this is the last bike I will ever own but I'd like it to be awhile before I own another. Thanks for your help - roll on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Taco...the Scale 940 is a decent raceable bike with room to grow, like allot of scott bikes a good value in its class.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I agree the scale is a decent bike and in anyway is not a bad bike but the only thing I would look at is how long do you plan on keeping this bike? Scott only has a five year warranty on there frames as where trek, giant, specialized etc have life time. just something to think about. I was looking for a ht xc race bike and they had one at one of the LBS here (cant remember the model) but it came in at 22 pounds full xt but the only thing that turned me away was the five year warranty on the frame.
    WHEN IN DOUBT?!?! PEDAL OUT!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    "lifetime"warranties on frames aren't "your" lifetime, but the lifetime of the bike, which the company defines.

The big companies changed their fine print on this a few years ago to reduce warranty costs. I don't give much consideration to the frame warranty because of this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nallen View Post
    "lifetime"warranties on frames aren't "your" lifetime, but the lifetime of the bike, which the company defines.

The big companies changed their fine print on this a few years ago to reduce warranty costs. I don't give much consideration to the frame warranty because of this.
    Exactly. A five year warranty is plenty IMHO. If a frame cracked within 12 months you'd want to be covered but if it happened after six years I'd say you've had a good run. Trek supposedly offer a lifetime warranty but reading reviews of the X- Caliber there were several complaining about the frame cracking and getting no joy from Trek or the shop that sold them the bike i.e. the supposed 'lifetime' warranty was just a marketing scam. Even if they do honour it what is the 'lifetime' of a bike frame? 5 years? 10 years?

A 5 year warranty is plenty and if it fails after 5 and 1/2 years what better excuse do you need to upgrade to the latest and greatest?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look at and ride the 930. That carbon frame is a racer's choice. Bikes come up on ebay Expert and Pro at decent prices.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    All - I picked up the Scale 940 on Friday. I've ridden twice over the weekend and am extremely happy with my purchase. In short - bike is WAY beyond my abilities as a Mtn biker. One feature I really like is the remote lock out. As a "roadie" who is used to climbing out of the saddle a lot this feature is awesome - see an uphill section, click the remote to lock the fork out and wallah - nice stable out of the saddle peddling platform. I don't know how you guys reach down and lock the fork out - I'd crash and burn... Thanks for all the responses - roll on....

long time listener
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco-Diesel View Post
    All - I picked up the Scale 940 on Friday. I've ridden twice over the weekend and am extremely happy with my purchase. In short - bike is WAY beyond my abilities as a Mtn biker. One feature I really like is the remote lock out. As a "roadie" who is used to climbing out of the saddle a lot this feature is awesome - see an uphill section, click the remote to lock the fork out and wallah - nice stable out of the saddle peddling platform. I don't know how you guys reach down and lock the fork out - I'd crash and burn... Thanks for all the responses - roll on....
    Congratulations on the 940. Sweet bike!

The Scott Scale 950 is my dream bike but unfortunately I figured this out AFTER I had already bought the Scott Aspect 920.

However I upgraded the fork on my Aspect to a Rockshox Reba with the Pushloc remote and I completely agree with you about the remote lockout. Reaching down to lockout the remote can be done but it was annoying when you have locked it out for a climb and forget to unlock it before the descent. No such worries with the remote as it is just a thumb click away.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a 940 on order, it's being shipped from Utah as we speak. A carbon frame would be nice, but I'm used to Alloy frames having essentially grown up on them, so it's not a big deal. The component package on the 940 is better than the 930, and you have to spend a LOT more to get a similar component group on a carbon frame.

My big concern is the wheelset, it's probably the first on my list to upgrade, probably to one of the Stan's wheelsets.

Does anyone have knowledge of the weight of the stock Syncros wheelset? It isn't tubless which is a big downside, but if it isn't terribly heavy I may put off up grading for a while and just go ghetto tubeless for a while.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    nallen - Agreed on the component group of the 940 versus 930. To get a similar (albiet a little upgraded) component selection you had to actually go to the 920 which was a $900 increase versus just a $550 increase for the 930. Went back and forth a little but in the end just didn't seem justifiable (to me and my abilities) to make the jump to carbon. After the riding - I feel I made the right choice. The 940 is A LOT of bike and will serve me well as I (re) learn my mountain biking skills. Performance for the dollar (to me) is fantastic. Roll on...