mtbr member

Scott Scale 910 vs Cannondale Flash 29 Carbon 2

Hi all

I'm in the market for a lightweight, 29er hardtail for XC racing (mostly endurance events circa 100km).

Having ridden a few different bikes, I've narrowed it down to two, both of which I've ridden. Both are great bikes, no question. They are:

I'm having trouble deciding between the two.

Here's my thinking:
    Scott - Pros
    • 69.5deg head tube angle closer to my dually and more confidence inspiring in technical terrain
    • I can get it for about $1k less than the Cannondale
    • Fox forks allows more flexibility in upgrading stem and wheels (Lefty requires specific stem and front hub)
    • XT all over - I've always used and liked XT gear

Scott - Cons
    • Doesn't feel as agile as the Cannondale. Harder to loft the front wheel
    • Feels a bit harsher (less compliant) than the Cannondale through the back end
    • Frame warranty limited to 5 years
    • Seatpost diameter is 34.9mm - hard to upgrade and bike comes with alloy post which feels a bit harsh
    • Syncros XR2.0 wheels a bit of an unknown quantity to me

Cannondale - Pros
    • Lifetime frame warranty
    • Feels livlier - easy to pop up the front wheel
    • More options for seatpost upgrades because 27.2mm diameter
    • Stans ZT Arch wheels

Cannondale - Cons
    • Lefty dictates specific front hub
    • Lefty dictates specific stem
    • Mixed bag sram drivetrain
    • Avid Elixir 9 brakes - DOT fluid and less reliable in my experience than XT

Having typed up these lists, I think I realise that I liked riding the Cannondale more but I like the gear on the Scott better. And I like the Cannondale's warranty but not its price!

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on the pros/cons above, whether I'm attaching too much weight to any of them, and whether there are other good reasons for choosing one over the other.

Happy Trails

Scott Scale 910 vs Cannondale Flash 29 Carbon 2

I think your pros and cons are right on, except for the downside about the stem and hub on Lefty. Although the fork drives proprietary designs for stem and hub, this bring added benefits (light weight; smooth fork action; quick change or repair tire w/out removing wheel, for example) and there are plenty of hub options. The only thing I felt like I lost with the hub is using my fork mount roof racks .... but that also turned into a huge "pro" when I switched to a simple and fast trailer hitch mount. Regarding the head tube geometry, there's a spacer under the Lefty head tube you can switch from bottom to top to slacken the geometry a little on the Flash, but I haven't switched mine. I like the sharp geometry. (More on this in Cannondale forum). I have not ridden the Scott but I would think a 34.9 post would make for a pretty tough ride versus the compliance from 27.2 (especially with a flexy post like C'dale SAVE or FSA setback KFL). This could be relevant over a 100Km race. Finally, does BB30 make a difference to you? Everybody has different body geometry, but I benefit from the extra ankle clearance around the crank from the narrower form factor.... No more rubbing inner heel on the center of the crank when pedaling. I can't argue with your thoughts on the brakes or the grand$ with the Scott, or the hoops and the feel of the F-29 though.

They are both damn fine bikes. No wrong choices here, but I love my F-29.
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 06-09-2013 at 12:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A seatpost adapter to 27.2 and a carbon or ti post could increase the comfort on the Scott.
    The Pivot Les is another bike in this range.
    And the Bailey Bikes 29er
    Review: Bailey Bikes 29er | Mountain Bike Review
    Got any of your own parts or want a specific wheelset? The Scott frame is available for 1570, as are the Bailey and Pivot for a bit more.
    You may want to check on rear tire choice on the Scott. Its chainstay clearance is 68.5mm or something tight like that.

Formerly of Kent
    You can get different steerers that will let you use a 1 1/8th stem...

Not a limiter at all.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The lefty is very stiff and light but the lefty's I have ridden have not given a quality suspension feel.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all your responses.

I've thought about using a shim to open up seatpost options, but I guess I'm still viewing it as a negative on the Scott's score card because it will inevitably involve more stuffing around than just having something that fits to begin with. Possibly more potential for overtorquing a carbon frame or post if I introduce a shim into the equation?

EB1888 - Thanks for the suggestion of the Pivot Les and Bailey. The Les has just arrived in Australia, and is a fair bit pricier than either of the others. Since I'm not pulling parts across from another bike - this is my first 29er and Mrs Bloodbuddle wouldn't be pleased if I raided her Anthem for parts! - I need a full build and the Les is going to work out well north of $5500 here.

The Bailey has a rider weight limit of 200lbs. At 95kg this isn't going to work for me!

Jaybo - I've ridden the Lefty. It's definitely not as plush as the Fox on my trail bike, but it soaked everything up including some fairly rocky/rooty descents which I was sure would throw it off line. I was pretty impressed actually.

Nice bike, Scott in MD! The BB size doesn't really bother me. At least, I didn't really notice a difference when riding the bikes BB30 vs BB92. As you and Le Duke say, it doesn't side like the stem issue is much of an issue at all.

mtbr member
    I would lean toward the Scott Scale, I like the way it rides and $1,000 leftover in your pocket or for upgrades is a big bonus. You can't go wrong with either one but I also like the fork on the Scott since it is less proprietary.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Slacken head angle

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I think your pros and cons are right on, except for the downside about the stem and hub on Lefty. Although the fork drives proprietary designs for stem and hub, this bring added benefits (light weight; smooth fork action; quick change or repair tire w/out removing wheel, for example) and there are plenty of hub options. The only thing I felt like I lost with the hub is using my fork mount roof racks .... but that also turned into a huge "pro" when I switched to a simple and fast trailer hitch mount. Regarding the head tube geometry, there's a spacer under the Lefty head tube you can switch from bottom to top to slacken the geometry a little on the Flash, but I haven't switched mine. I like the sharp geometry. (More on this in Cannondale forum). I have not ridden the Scott but I would think a 34.9 post would make for a pretty tough ride versus the compliance from 27.2 (especially with a flexy post like C'dale SAVE or FSA setback KFL). This could be relevant over a 100Km race. Finally, does BB30 make a difference to you? Everybody has different body geometry, but I benefit from the extra ankle clearance around the crank from the narrower form factor.... No more rubbing inner heel on the center of the crank when pedaling. I can't argue with your thoughts on the brakes or the grand$ with the Scott, or the hoops and the feel of the F-29 though.

They are both damn fine bikes. No wrong choices here, but I love my F-29.
    Scott
    Were Can I find the post about the spacers and Slackening head angle with standard lefty steer tube and stem?

What about Slackening head angle with a steer tube adapter, crown race spacer for non lefty frames
    Gary

mtbr member
    I've recently come off a Scott and your observation is pretty much spot on. You could go with shims and all that but the Scott rear triangle is still going to be less compliant than the Cannondale. As for wheel choice, the number of aftermarket hubs and wheels for the lefty continues to grow to point that I don't think you'll feel limited by selection. If I were starting over I would be taking a hard look at a Cannondale with a lefty.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.