mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Scott scale 29er or Banshee Paradox?

Hey all,

looking to jump into the world of 29'ers after trying a few out and liking the feel. I have a choice between these two bikes, and I believe the Scott will be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper as well as available through my LBS (unlike the banshee). I've searched through all the threads on both of these bikes so I know a lot about them both, but here is my question:

I will be riding mostly techy trails with plenty of obstacles. Won't be doing much straight XC nor will I be doing any big drops. The banshee is sort of built around a 120mm fork for an AM hardtail build, while the scott is built around a 100 mm fork. Is this really a big difference? do you think a 120 mm travel fork is overkill for a 29'er?

Also - the banshee has a 16.9 chainstay and Scott has 17.4. Do you think there will be a big difference in acceleration here or will it not be so noticeable? Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Btw, this forum is awesome!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    the only thing similar is that both happen to be hardtails. the banshee will be a way more "fun" bike though in fairness, the Scott geometry is not too bad and would be a pretty good overall bike, i.e., not hardcore XC by any means

Back in Black
    Quote Originally Posted by eggypot
    Hey all,

... I will be riding mostly techy trails with plenty of obstacles. ...

Also - the banshee has a 16.9 chainstay and Scott has 17.4. Do you think there will be a big difference in acceleration here or will it not be so noticeable? Thanks for any help!
    I looked into the very same frames myself before purchasing the Scale a few months ago.

Banshee is likely your best bet based on your type of terrain.

The Scale 29 is a good ride. The slacker HT and stiff front end makes the frame fun at speed/decents. The frame also has a fast enduro type of feel to it - making it the better all rounder in terms of terrain IMO.

While the chainstay length is slightly longer than the Banshee, the Scale is quite easy to loft the front end, moreso than my previous Niner EMD with identical length.

My biggest issue with the Scale 29er is the chainstay design. It's too narrow for a wide 2.4 tire (forcing a smaller/harsher 2.25 tire) and yet somehow it's also too wide to allow for a narrow XX type of crank. For technical stuff, I'd want as fat of a tire (with low pressure) as I can get.

So my advice is Banshee for trials-like technical riding, and the Scale for allround performance with respectable handling when things get techy.
    There’s nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive - SIXX AM

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I love my Scale. That said, for a 100% fun/trail/AM bike I would go Banshee. I ride trails but am also going to do some racing so I chose the Scott. Although, with as much fun as I have on the trails with my Scott, I can positively say you'd enjoy it plenty but I'd say Banshee if you plan on jumping/hucking/mudding/etc. Get yourself a thru axle fork and go at it!

mtbr member

Banshee,

I have had almost 40 bikes over the past 8yrs and my P-dox gives me hands down the most fun on a bike I have EVER had....Good luck...CF.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Hopefully I come back to this thread with some good news in a couple of weeks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Alright guys, as with many people that have a choice between option A & option B....they go with option C!

Sinister Simon Bar. Since I decided to go with a single speed build, (because my trails are perfect for it, and I love the simplicity) the simon bar with its sliding dropouts and paradox-like geometry was the right choice for me. Wasn't the paradox inspired by the simon bar anyway? I should have it by the end of July. Time to think of a proper build for it...