mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Scott Scale 29 Team vs Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er Int

Hello!
    My lovely Scott Scale 70 was stolen the other day - so sad.

But i have decided to replace it with a 29er. I had my heart set on the Scott Scale 29 Team - but the bike shops in Sweden cannot find one with an XL frame (i am 6ft5). So they have proposed the Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er Int.

The specifications for the two bikes (see below) seem quite similar - but what are opinions? I personally am still keen on the Scale - but dont fancy waiting until September to get one! Is the Specialized as good? I cycle mainly in the forest tracks around Stockholm.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er Int:
    Fully butted, smooth-welded M4SL alloy superlight frame with 29er trail geometry and integrated head tube for better control, leverage, and bump performance
    80mm-travel RockShox Recon Silver 29" air-sprung fork with external rebound adjust and lockout delivers more versatility and tunability over varying terrain
    DT Swiss 29" eyeletted rims are tough and fast
    All-terrain 29" Captain Control tires are 2Bliss ready and built for speed on the trail
    Shimano forged alloy crankset with Hollowtech arms and Octalink-splined BB interface is stiff and light for precision shifting performance
    3D-forged stem has 31.8mm bar clamp for maximum strength and adjustable 7-degree rise for comfort
    Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotors provide simple, powerful, and dependable stopping power
    Shimano Deore SLX Shadow 9-speed rear derailleur for top-of-the-line shifting performance and improved clearance

The Scott SCALE 29 TEAM
    The alloy Scale 29 Team is a lightweight and reasonably priced 29” hardtail. The frame features hydro-formed 6061 aluminum and the same celebrated geometry as its’ carbon siblings. If you want the best value in a big wheeled bike, choose Scale 29’r.

Frame: Scale alloy 6061
    Fork: Rock Shox Tora TK
    Group set: Shimano
    Brakes: Shimano BR-M445 disc
    Wheels: Scott Team / Shimano FH-M629 hubs, Alex XC-49 rims

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Scott Scale is worth the wait. I have ridden teh Scott road bikes for years and they are the best value machine out there. I want a Scale too, but have not ridden one. I never liked the Specialized bikes.

mtbr member
    I have the Scale Elite. Geo feels amazing compared to any other mountain bike I have been on. I think you'll appreciate the wait. I am also 6' 5'' and I feel very comfortable on the XL frame.

Swedetarded
    I am a bit surprised that Cykloteket can't find one for you. I would think they should have the buying power.

We should ride! Just not today, Swedish summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I want to sell my Scott Scale 29er (2010 model) to move up to the new Spark 29er. I happen to live in the home town of Scott USA. Anyone interested?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think that's the rockhopper pro you posted. Is it a white bike? Well I have the rockhopper pro 29er love great bike feel do confident on it. The avid brakes recon fork.. winner. My vote.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the 2010 Scott Scale 29 and I absolutely love it. I have the XL and I'm 6'5" as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the responses! I think i will hold out for the Scott then.

mtbr member
    I would hold out too!I have the team version and have had no complaints. Solid frame and places to upgrade in the future
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

mtbr member
    Try both and see which geo works best for you. Otherwise, if you are familiar with the Scott and like them, go for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Try both and see which geo works best for you. Otherwise, if you are familiar with the Scott and like them, go for that.
    Well, I think he said the shops don't have the scott in his size...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taj13 View Post
    Well, I think he said the shops don't have the scott in his size...
    Not even as a test bike (ie not for sale) or anyone in the area with one?

mtbr member
    I have the the Scott Scale 29er Elite and love it. I haven't ridden in 10 years and can't believe how light it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have now found the Scott (in my size!) and convinced my insurance company to let me purchase it via that shop (Cykloteket - thanks mrbigisbudgood!). I look forward to getting out on the trails around Stockholm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So I got the Scott Scale 29er Team - what a lovely bike! This is my 1st 29er - so i was not sure what to expect. My first reaction on the bike was that i felt like i was 12 years old again - such big wheels! Cycling my favourite singletrack route (Jarvafältet north of Stockholm) I found i could cycle through sections where previously I had to walk. I am amazed at what a big difference the larger wheels make. Any (small) loss of maneuverability is more than compensated for by increased levels of grip uphill and the ability to glide over roots and rocks which previously I would have had to ride around.
    I get the feeling my technical skills will drop - as you can just plough through or over so much more! I am having such fun on the bike and am totally convinced 29ers will be the way to go - certainly for taller riders.

mtbr member
    Congratulations! Enjoy the wagon wheels.