mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Scott Scale 29 Elite vs Felt Nine Comp

Anyone have thoughts? I can get a good deal on both ($1400). Both are a great ride....can't decide. Actually the Scott seat scks...it's so uncomfortable

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Which one fits better?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Felt has a Rockshox Recon Silver TK solo air 29 fork while the Scott has a dual air RS Reba with negative air adjust. This is two grade better at least with no need to upgrade. Scott has geo from their XC World Cup race program(they just won again.) short chainstays, compliant seatstays and slack HT angle.
    Seats end up being personal and are often changed out. If you haven't been riding alot you will need to break in for a few hours. If you have been riding alot use that seat. I use my 135g SLR off my road bike.
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-23-2012 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    To be honest...I think the Felt fits better...although it's been about a week since I've ridden the Scott...rode the felt today

EB thanks for your help yet again....what's the deal with these Avid Elixir 3 disc brakes? are they garbage? will i end up just upgrading immediately? i keep reading bad things about these brakes

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i love the scott elite. And i found a 2012 in my size, believed to be the last 2012 in existence this side of the mississippi. can grab it for 1500

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just bought a 2012 Scale Elite and I love it. The bike is about the same weight as my 26" Vertex (26.5 with pedals size large), but it feels lighter on the trail.

It really amazed me how well the wheels roll over roots and rocks. I cleared sections on this bike much quicker than I did on my Trance X3.

There is a bit of understeer, but nothing I can't adjust to. The bar width is insane! Maybe that's the cause.

I am a weight weenie (I ride light, no hucking) and this bike has an easy 3 lb to shave off:

1. 2100 gram wheels (Stans ZTR Crest)
    2. heavy crank (TBD, but probably 2x10)
    3. heavy bar, post and saddle (TBD)

I got a crazy good deal from Bicicletes de Hull.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was at a Niner demo Tuesday and road the Air 9 RDO. The brake set was 2012 XT. That is a very powerful one finger rear half or less finger front set. The SLX is the same and either is a good option as an upgrade for any Elixirs The RDO is a light stiff frame with very quick steering. The 71 HT angle is not as stable as a Scott. I didn't quite get used to it.