Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Scott Genius 930

Has any of you tested or own this bike? It is a nice looking bike and I'd like to have some opinions on it.

SCOTT Genius 930 Bike - SCOTT Sports

Veru hard to find reviews on new product. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    I just bought the Genius 940 a week or so ago! this is my first Scott and when I took it out of the box and started to put this machine together, I probably just stared at it for an hour. The engineering is very impressive and looks solid.

Only one ride so far (I live in TX and we have had late spring rain so most trails are closed).

I did manage to get an hour in on a small local trail. This is my first 29er and I could not believe how this bike climbed...its unreal. We have alot of slippery tree roots on the trail and it used to be a issue with the 26".

I didnt play much with the twin lock, but from riding around the neighborhood it just about takes care of eveything that I need.

I have just ordered some Azonic 420 so this weekend I should get more riding time on some decent pedals as well.

My only concern is the brakes at the moment, they seem alittle grabby (maybe its just because they are new? not sure? I will search mtbr to see if I can find an answer!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi Rock. I ended up buying a 940, It was ordered and I should have it next week. I got a super deal I could not say not. Can't wait to try it out..
    Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Oh Scott! Man, I still wish I had my steel frame hard tail Scott from the early 90s. Really looking hard at the 930 or 920 for my next ride (currently on a Fisher HiFi 29). One thing I have a question about. Anybody know if the Syncros XC-49 wheels are tubeless ready?

Outlaw
    I got a 930 back in March. LOVE IT! I'm coming off a 26" - S.S. - H.T. so it's way different than what I'm used to. I demoed a Rocky Element (carbon frame) and a Kona Satori last year, both I think have about the same component level give or take. In my opinion the wheels, which are not tubeless ready, are the weak link. Not very stiff. Out of true, out of round and the tensions were all over the place out of the box. The dish was spot on though. Everything else on the bike was near perfect.

The ride itself is outstanding. I would say it fits pretty well in between the two aforementioned bikes I demoed. It doesn't seem to have the XC precision of the Rocky nor the confidence inspiring feel of the Kona, but I'm amazed at the way it plows through damn near everything. I think it climbs better than the Kona and descends better than the Rocky. The nude2 feels a little damp on the compression side (I think?, and I don't know if I can adjust that) but I don't think it takes at all away from the overall awesomeness of this bike. I'm headed up to NEMBAFest this weekend and may write a review after that.

A note on sizing. I am about 5' 11" with about 33"/34" inseam and around 150lbs. I talked to a few folks about sizing, as well as read the specs and measured my bike, as I bought this sight unseen. Most folks said go medium though in my head I was thinking large. In the end I went large and I believe it was the right choice. I have virtually no stand-over clearance however the bike feels like an extension of me, or me of it, and in my experience being one with the bike is the true indication of the right fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Had a bad feeling those wheels are not tubeless ready. That is a weak link for sure. What did you pay for your 930?

Outlaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    Had a bad feeling those wheels are not tubeless ready. That is a weak link for sure. What did you pay for your 930?
    Not retail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Alex XC-49 is a rim that Scott uses across a lot of their 29er bikes but with different hubs. I have them on my Scale 970 and they are okay...my bike had the 2nd lightest rotational weight in a roundup of it's class of around 1k. I haven't tried a tubeless kit on them yet but if I really dig tubeless on a Arch EX set that's coming in today then I might try it since theoretically I could drop approx 100g a wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Man, not having a tubeless ready rim on a close to 3k bike is a big shortfall IMO

mtbr member
    The guy that I bought my bike from had already changed it to tubeless for me (well worth the extra $).

I just spent the whole morning hitting every bit of terrain I could find from flat smooth trail to steep drops, with plenty of roots and babies heads.

The bike climbs like a monster hitting uphill sections that I just could not make on the Hard tail 26.

I also got to try out the Azonics with my five-tens and my feet were set like super glue...never slipped on the down hill and power on the up hill.

The twin loc system (now that I got to try it out properly) is smooth and gave me much more confidence that what I was used too.

Already looking forward to the next ride.. well stoked!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I got a Scott 930 just 2 months ago. Very happy with it. Got a great deal from my LBS, and decided on this alum frame than a carbon frame. Weight is not a big factor comparably, I can choose to lose more body weight at a cheaper cost.
    Bike handles great. Remote suspension control is a dream. Lockout front and rear on climbs. Only thing I lack is the reverb stealth seatpost.
    Converted to tubeless with the stock rims.
    Very very satisfied.

Crash test dummy
    Any more thoughts on this Genius 940 from riders. how does it climb with the longer travel? How does it do on the rock gardens, roots, and obstacles? I am looking to get a close out model 2013 because the price is just so good. But is the price good because they are just not desired for the 5 inches or because they are new?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have been riding my Genius 940. It is a beauty and performs well. Climbs well and does very good over rocks and roots. I am new at MTB so I could not compare to others but I for sure like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Guys, I'm pretty interested in the Scott Genius 930 and 940 as well. I'm not ready to commit to a carbon frame as my lack of skills and over eagerness have had me over the handlebars 4 times in 3-months with the last one resulting in a broken shoulder 9 weeks ago. One of the reasons I'm thinking 930 is for the 142x12 rear plus slightly better components etc. Has anyone any views on which one. Price difference for me is around 400 stg or so.

I was also interested in Joe_Re choosing to go size large on the bike frame. I ride a 26" Scott Spark 40 frame and XT/XO components. I pondered size for a long time and also went with the large against everyone's advice (I'm a 5'11.5" or so with a 31.5" leg and a fat boy at the min cuz all I've done is eat nursing my broken shoulder for 9 weeks)! I was thinking of going medium because of the bigger wheels as well.

How are the 29ers on really tight switchback turns. My local trails have loads of them and I've never ridden a 29er

Cheers
    Chris

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I want a Scott Genius 940 soooooo bad!
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post

I just spotted this thread. I have a 930 and very happy. Converted my syncros to tubeless, been good so far, its been tubeless for more than 6 months. I will still upgrade to better wheelset though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    why is genius 920 listed as 13.05 kg while 930 weight 12.90 kg?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reh7777 View Post
    I just spotted this thread. I have a 930 and very happy. Converted my syncros to tubeless, been good so far, its been tubeless for more than 6 months. I will still upgrade to better wheelset though.
    What?! I was told by my shop I couldn't convert them! Anyway, I gotta replace the front wheel, might as well get a new set. I taco'd it doing some downhill in at Snow Summit. My 930 handled very nicely, doing some runs in OC through El Moro was no sweat. Getting used to the 29er size wasn't too bad, but the SLX rear hub had to be replaced after 4 rides. The shop won't true or try and repair my front wheel, they said it's beyond repairable. If I knew how to fix it, I'd do it myself, doesn't look that bad. Oh well, what do I know.

mtbr member
    Should be getting my 940 in about a month and cant wait. Only wish it was going to be June and not January in the North East
    " All things flow according to the whim of The Great Magnet ".

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    Not retail.
    50% of retail, plus 10% to cover shipping?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i am seriously considering the 930...any long term reviews? mine would be a 2013 closeout

mtbr member
    I have exactly 3 rides on my 940 and so far I love it. I picked up a set of Easton wheels and nokian extremes for winter riding and put a tubeless kit on the stockers. I'll give a better report in a while when the snow goes away and I can really evaluate.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    any issues with the nude shock?? I am so close to buying...just waiting to see if the rip 9 or trance can compare money wise

mtbr member
    Only have about 3 hours total so far and that was in real cold temps and not really pushing things because of the ice. Having said that, I did not notice anything funky with the nude2. Time and more typical type riding may tell but I figure if the shock becomes a problem, I'll replace it. My dealer assured me it can be upgraded and it is still under warranty so I'm not too concerned. Besides, for the money I saved on this by buying a leftover, I was able to purchase the extra rims,tires, disk, cassette, and lights and still come out ahead. Oh, and she's so pretty....

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredm View Post
    i am seriously considering the 930...any long term reviews? mine would be a 2013 closeout

Having owned my 930 since about last summer, here's my review:

First Ride?
    Getting used to the 29er wheels took some time for me. I'm much more comfortable on it now, climbing narrow switchbacks and taking it on squirly single tracks. The LTD system Scott setup with the front and rear shock works great, made climbing much easier and once you get used to it, it becomes real handy.

Any defects?
    My chain rusted up slightly due to user error (didn't lube after a wash), but the SLX freewheel was defective and had to be replaced after my 4th ride. My LBS replaced that for me at no charge.

How is it riding now?
    I've taken this bike through wide fire roads, narrow single tracks, been all over Orange County, CA and I've taken it to Big Bear to ride the downhill park with it. My only mistake so far has been taking a bad shortcut where the earth gave way and I fell about 5 ft. onto my front wheel. (I just replaced my wheelset with some Giant S-XC 2's.) The brakes are still crisp, the shocks are still lively, haven't had to replace my saddle, but I do want a dropper post...eventually. Rides as smooth as day one, no weird defects on the frame, but the bolt holding the nude shock in place has come loose once.

Any recommendations?
    It was a great deal for me, compared to getting either a Trance or Anthem 29er, and I'm impressed with the weight of the frame. Mine came with an Alex wheelset I was told would be tubeless ready, but wasn't. The wheels also quite heavy. I'd recommend new wheels and a dropper post, but that's about it.

Overall
    I'm 5'11" and weight 220lbs, and I would recommend this bike to anyone that wants a 29er. It gets a lot of compliments on the dirt from other riders, and I'm glad I purchased it. I wouldn't recommend this bike to shorter folks, but the 27.5" wheels might be an option (I almost went with the 27.5"). Then again, the 29er does provide a very plush ride and keeps it's speed. Small bumps, branches and holes aren't a problem, but the 29er isn't as nimble and snappy as a 26" or 27.5", so you sacrifice handling. If you're not into flying into the air and prefer speed, you should be fine.

I'm not pro, but I hope this was helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast