mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Schwalbe Little Albert ... 24 hr races

Thinking of putting Little Alberts on my new Jet as a good "all-around" tire that could work well for training/fun rides and 24 hour racing (for now). Eventually I plan to build up a 2nd set of wheels but for now I'm looking for a fairly light tire, with tread to give decent traction in a wide variety of trails.

I realize no one tire is good everywhere and many of the trails and races I ride range from dry hardpack to rocky/rooty sections. This will be my first 29er and looking to stay with fairly light tire but don't want durability issues during 24 hr races. Any good or bad comments relating to Little Alberts?

Thanks

Bikes!
    I have some on my Dillinger and so far they have been great all rounders, although they are not the most comfortable of tyres either as they are fairly low volume.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The fact they are low-volume tires seems to be the only negative feedback I heard found so far.

That said, I am coming off a 26" hardtail running 26x2.0 tires so really not used to high-volume tires. And i'm going to a 29er full-suspension, so I thought the comfort aspect might not be noticeable for me?

Bikes!
    I run them on a fully rigid SS so you will probably be alright with them, in that case I say go get some, they are light, fairly cheap and work very well!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    I run them on a fully rigid SS so you will probably be alright with them, in that case I say go get some, they are light, fairly cheap and work very well!
    I can definitely see where they'd be a bit rough on a rigid frame. I also have a rigid SS and I'm thinking some nice "fat" tires are in order for it!

Any durability issues with the Alberts being a lighter tire? I plan to set them up tubeless with Stan's Arch wheels.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They wear pretty fast but the sidewalls are tough feeling. I don't have a lot of time on the one I have though. Honestly it will probably spend more time on the front of my cross bike, but I ride a hardtail and prefer at least 2.0 tires. It does seem to have really good handling characteristics though. I wish they made a bigger version.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    They wear pretty fast but the sidewalls are tough feeling. I don't have a lot of time on the one I have though. Honestly it will probably spend more time on the front of my cross bike, but I ride a hardtail and prefer at least 2.0 tires. It does seem to have really good handling characteristics though. I wish they made a bigger version.
    The version I'm looking at are 29x2.1, although I hear Schwalbe exaggerates their sizes so not as big as they state? 26x2.0 is what I have on my current h/t ... just not sure I'd need anything softer since I'm moving to a f/s bike?

Bikes!
    The Little Alberts are pretty durable, very puncture resistant and take hits well although painfully! I actually think they are harder wearing than my 26" Rocket Rons...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    The Little Alberts are pretty durable, very puncture resistant and take hits well although painfully! I actually think they are harder wearing than my 26" Rocket Rons...
    Appreciate the feedback ... I'm thinking the Albert's might be just right for 24 hr races on various trails with a full-suspension.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It would not be my choice, too slow rolling, if you can sacrifice some sidewall toughness but still want grippy I would look at the rocket rons

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If I were doing more XC racing I would probably agree with that. But for me at least, as more of a slow & steady rider, speed/fast rolling is much less critical during 24 hr races, while durability/traction is very beneficial. The thing that kind of attracted me to Albert's are they seem to be a durable, yet fairly light tire (i think).

Bikes!
    And personally speaking I don't think they are slow rolling at all but they are my first 29r tyres so I'm no expert...

mtbr member
    Have tried lots of different tire on the rear. Alberts are the most durable for my riding conditions. Lots of sharp rock so side walls need to be good. Tried a WTB Prowler this week just because it was inexpensive. Side wall ripped on second ride, Alberts are the only tire I found that is reliable enough for endurance racing in my area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Krankensteine
    Have tried lots of different tire on the rear. Alberts are the most durable for my riding conditions. Lots of sharp rock so side walls need to be good. Tried a WTB Prowler this week just because it was inexpensive. Side wall ripped on second ride, Alberts are the only tire I found that is reliable enough for endurance racing in my area.
    Good to hear ... I've got my set of Albert's on order!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I ran a set of Alberts on my first 29er a few years ago and thought they were great, super-grippy, durable, kinda acceptably light, etc. Good all around in all conditions. Ignore the "slow rolling" comments, that's 99% perception anyhow and if you feel they roll slowly, just pedal harder!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    good, tough, durable allrounders. i have been using them for while and like them. i wouldn't race any event on them because they are too slow for my preference. i'm not into 24 hour races but would hate to drag those tyres around for that long and don't think just pedalling harder is a good idea in a really long endurance race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I've got the Albert's ordered so I'll see what I think this season. If I don't like, I'll switch to something else ... Specialized Captain's, Bontrager's, Hutchinson's ..... ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i'm currently using little albert front, geax barro race rear (non tnt) both tubeless. i like the combination but would probably put a maxxis aspen in place of the little albert for a race.

jms
    mtbr member

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by bert-prologue
    i'm currently using little albert front, geax barro race rear (non tnt) both tubeless. i like the combination but would probably put a maxxis aspen in place of the little albert for a race.
    Bingo.

For the OP, I haven't found a faster race tire combination for a 29er FS than the Albert [front]/Barro[rear] pairing.

BTW - I've run the Aspen/Barro combination too, it doesn't possess the same "just throw the damn thing down the hill" handling balance of the Albert/Barro pairing.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Bingo.

For the OP, I haven't found a faster race tire combination for a 29er FS than the Albert [front]/Barro[rear] pairing.

BTW - I've run the Aspen/Barro combination too, it doesn't possess the same "just throw the damn thing down the hill" handling balance of the Albert/Barro pairing.
    Interesting ... I'll have to take a look at the Barro for future reference, I'm not familiar with that tire.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!