Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Schwalbe ice spiker pro

I am a very unhappy with new Ice Spiker Pro 29 tyres.
    Yes, this is an only real light and durable spike tire for big wheels, but there's a many problems with spike loss. Most people who use it has some troubles.

I know that the tyres must be ridden 40 km on the road to fixing the spikes, but there's a problem in any case. Only number of lost spikes differ (3-5 with pre-riding, and 10+ without).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a new set of Ice Spiker Pro 29er tires that I have been running on mountain bike trails under winter conditions for the past two weeks. My conclusion: spike loss occurs at an unbelievably and unacceptably high rate. I have already lost 180 spikes in 7 rides -- that's almost 30% of the total number of spikes. I called Schwalbe and they told me that I failed to follow the proper run-in procedure for these tires, namely, running the tires for 25 km on an asphalt road at 20 psi so all the spikes engage the roadway. These procedures were not included with the tires when I bought them by way of a brochure, sticker or label, and were not explained to me by the dealership from whom I purchased the tires. If you have these tires and have not yet used them, it would seem like a good idea to follow their prescribed run-in procedures. I doubt, however, that the run-in procedure makes much difference in regards to spike loss. Nokian says to do the same thing and I never noticed a difference in spike loss with their tires whether or not I followed their prescribed run-in procedures. Over the past years I have lost far fewer spikes with Nokian studded tires -- probably 20 times less than with these expensive Schwalbe tires. Don't expect much help from Schwalbe with this problem; everyone who owns them is probably calling them up for new tires or studs now that the snow is flying. This is all too bad, because the tires themselves perform very well indeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    there's only one question: i rode my ice spiker pro 26" tyres @680g weight for two winter seasons without any spike loss, what's a crap that 29 made of?...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not to doubt the experiences of those who have already posted, but...I haven't lost a stud yet. I did get a good 30k on pavement before the snow came - and you could really notice how much the studs bedded in. Unbelievable grip, although I would like a bit more volume.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

No good Massive Stud Loss - Great tire otherwise

SO I have now completed 4 rides on these after riding them in on pavement at approximately 20 miles. I have lost 71 studs so far. The replacement bags are $19 for 25. So it is costing me somewhere in the range of $15 a ride!! WTF??? I rode Nokian Gazza Extremes last winter and lost NO studs. Same exact riding conditions. I plan on calling Schalbe today to seek either a large supply of studs or replacement tires or a refund. This is unacceptable in my humble opinion for a $180 tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Schwalbe Customer Service

When I called Schwalbe customer service about my Ice Spiker Pro tires losing too many studs (about 30% of all studs over 7 rides), the first person I spoke with gave me the company line about not running the tires in properly, and said I would have to buy spikes through their web site. With over 200 spikes to be replaced, doing so would cost nearly as much as a new set of tires. I found this answer unsatisfactory, called Schwalbe back, and spoke with a different representative who offered to send replacement spikes to me. That was almost two weeks ago, and I have not yet received the spikes. Who knows -- they might be on their way given the holiday rush. My main point is that Schwalbe seem to be well versed in the spike loss problem, and some of their representatives do not appear to be in any mood to help customers who have purchased expensive Ice Spiker Pro tires and who have experienced high rates of spike loss. This is unfortunate given that the product clearly has major design and/or manufacturing flaws that have nothing to do with customer use (or misuse). In my opinion, Ice Spiker Pro tires should be advertised as asphalt road-only winter tires, as they clearly lose too many spikes when used on mountain bike trails. Don't be surprised if Schwalbe won't replace the tires or the spikes.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by sburrill View Post
    SO I have now completed 4 rides on these after riding them in on pavement at approximately 20 miles. I have lost 71 studs so far. The replacement bags are $19 for 25. So it is costing me somewhere in the range of $15 a ride!! WTF??? I rode Nokian Gazza Extremes last winter and lost NO studs. Same exact riding conditions. I plan on calling Schalbe today to seek either a large supply of studs or replacement tires or a refund. This is unacceptable in my humble opinion for a $180 tire.
    You drive an Audi...you can afford it.

Just kidding...
    I am immune to your disdain.

Keep on Rockin...

What's the latest....

Iv'e been holding out on a new set of studs and can't decide b/t the Nokians and the Spikers.

For years I had the Nokian 294s in a 26" but gave them to a freind a few years back. I hear the 294s don't work as well in a 29" version as the studs are too spaced out.

Was going to get the Spikers but I'm hearing too much about stud loss!

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Iv'e been holding out on a new set of studs and can't decide b/t the Nokians and the Spikers.

For years I had the Nokian 294s in a 26" but gave them to a freind a few years back. I hear the 294s don't work as well in a 29" version as the studs are too spaced out.

Was going to get the Spikers but I'm hearing too much about stud loss!
    I understand your concern about stud loss.

I put 50 off road miles on a set(not ridden on pavement) and lost 4 on the front and 7 on the rear.

I ride with SBurrill on occasion. I am perplexed as to why he has lost so many. We ride at similar paces(7-11mph avg) over the same terrain...which is rocky and rooty.

I would not hesitate to buy the Ice Spikers ESPECIALLY if you ride them in.
    They are head and shoulders above the Nokians. That is for certain.
    My .02.

Keep on Rockin...

Thanks for the report....

Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    I understand your concern about stud loss.

I put 50 off road miles on a set(not ridden on pavement) and lost 4 on the front and 7 on the rear.

I ride with SBurrill on occasion. I am perplexed as to why he has lost so many. We ride at similar paces(7-11mph avg) over the same terrain...which is rocky and rooty.

I would not hesitate to buy the Ice Spikers ESPECIALLY if you ride them in.
    They are head and shoulders above the Nokians. That is for certain.
    My .02.
    To not only keep this thread going, but to add some input....

For maybe 5 years I rode the Nokian 294s on my 26" bike. I think total I probably lost 5 studs between the 2 tires. I did baby them a bit. They were bedded in very well and they and they didn't see hard braking often, nor dry trails.

I don't consider winter-ice biking a "high performance activity" (yet) but rather something to do to get me outside and keep me in shape. Since the 294s treated me well in the past, I just pulled the trigger on the 29" version. Hopefully the traction will be there. I was told by "folks in the know" the whole business with the 29" version being a significant step below the 26" version, in terms of traction, was bunk.

Price - the Ice Spiker Pros sound great. Especially the 2.25" version in kevlar. But they are very pricey compared to the Nokians. I did see some of the Ice Spikers Pros going very cheaply on some sites - at close to half of retail, which I found hard to believe at the begining of winter. Perhaps there were different production runs of that tire that involved some quality issues? Any thoughts?

Anyway, we'll see how it goes this year. Winter riding in the current area will be new to me and I have to feel it out anyway. If the ice riding turns out to be very good, and I'm in need of higher performance, I'll look at the Ice Spikers next year. Maybe just for the front to begin. If there are quality issues it'll give them a year to make good.

Thanks again for the thread.

mtbr member
    I'll add to the sample size, since I got a set of the 29er Ice Spiker Pros the week before xmas and have lost 1 stud on the rear after about 10 rides. For the first few rides I babied them sticking to paved paths and pressures below 20psi. After that I hit all my normal singletrack. Every so often I'll slid badly off of a root and be sure that I tore out a bunch of studs, but so far I've only lost the one. I'll update as the winter goes on.

(and I'm not sure how long this will last, but Excel Sports has the 29ers for the same price as the 26ers which is what convinced me to get them. The came new in the box, and didn't show any signs of being oem/takeoff/rejects)

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    I've ridden the Nokian Gazza 29ers for 2 seasons and haven't lost a stud yet. They're stupid narrow though.

I've ridden the Nokian Freddies Revenz for the same amount of time and lost not only a shitload of studs but the friggin' knobs themselves tore right off. They also roll just about as well as square wheels.

With one exception, I've heard nothing but horror stories about these Ice Spikers, both through stud loss and tubeless setup. I believe Schwalbe is now finally admitting they made a booboo and giving out free replacement studs. Weird how some people don't lose them and others do, though. Any ideas on why?

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Spleen View Post
    I've ridden the Nokian Gazza 29ers for 2 seasons and haven't lost a stud yet. They're stupid narrow though.

I've ridden the Nokian Freddies Revenz for the same amount of time and lost not only a shitload of studs but the friggin' knobs themselves tore right off. They also roll just about as well as square wheels.

With one exception, I've heard nothing but horror stories about these Ice Spikers, both through stud loss and tubeless setup. I believe Schwalbe is now finally admitting they made a booboo and giving out free replacement studs. Weird how some people don't lose them and others do, though. Any ideas on why?
    riding style and terrain. i've only lost studs after trail rides where i hit rocks, roots, etc. in 5+ years of riding studs on pavement/extremely basic trails, i've never lost a stud.
    for the record this is all on the nokians, never used the schwalbe as i think all of their tires are overpriced...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    riding style and terrain. i've only lost studs after trail rides where i hit rocks, roots, etc. in 5+ years of riding studs on pavement/extremely basic trails, i've never lost a stud.
    for the record this is all on the nokians, never used the schwalbe as i think all of their tires are overpriced...
    I agree entirely with the above assessment.

If you never venture off the asphalt, you will be unlikely to lose studs whether you use Nokian or Schwalbe tires. If you do venture off the road onto trails with rocks, roots and other obstacles typically associated with mountain biking, however, you will probably notice a big difference between Nokian and Schwalbe tires when it comes to stud loss. The more snow and ice, and the fewer the rocks and other obstacles, the lower stud loss will be. If the trails you ride in winter are mostly snow covered and have few rocks and/or roots, you will probably see minimal stud loss. Throw rocks and other obstacles into the mix, and stud loss will go way up if you are using Schwalbe tires.

My set of Ice Spiker Pros, new five weeks ago and used on about 25 rides covering about 200 miles of Rocky Mountain singletrack, have now lost about half of their spikes. Almost all the spikes from the two outer rows are gone, while those in the centers of the tires are mostly still there. A definite decrease in traction has resulted from the progressive loss of spikes over time.

By comparison, Nokian studded tires I used in past lost about 10% of their studs per tire per winter riding season when riding on the same trails and under essentially identical winter conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've had the Ice Spikers for 3 months, never venture off the ashphalt, and haven't lost a single stud yet.

However, the two center rows of studs are now completely "pushed in" the tire,and no longer protrude at all. They're not worn, just pushed in. These tires are now pretty useless, considering the price I paid ($200 for a set).

Anyone had a similar experience? With Schwalbe or Nokian?

mtbr member
    ^ I've still only lost a single stud, but I was also noticing how far some of the studs are recessed with a couple being pretty much invisible. In comparison my Nokian mount&ground have two winters and 5000km+ on them, and look brandnew except for a bit of rust.

Edited to add: even with the recessed studs I haven't noticed any traction issues, and I've been riding some ridiculously icy singletrack, in addition to pavement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marcpro View Post
    I've had the Ice Spikers for 3 months, never venture off the ashphalt, and haven't lost a single stud yet.

However, the two center rows of studs are now completely "pushed in" the tire,and no longer protrude at all. They're not worn, just pushed in. These tires are now pretty useless, considering the price I paid ($200 for a set).

Anyone had a similar experience? With Schwalbe or Nokian?
    In response to your query I just checked the spikes on my Ice Spiker Pro 29ers that have had about 5 weeks of regular use on mtb trails. As you report, some of the center studs are indeed pressed down into the rubber a fair distance, some so much that their utility gripping ice is questionable. In addition, almost all the spikes from the side rows are gone; those that are not gone stick out further than those in the center rows because they have not been pushed into the rubber as much. I also checked my Nokian Gaza Extreme tires from last year, and the spikes in those tires are more uniform in regards to the distance they stick up from the rubber, whether the spikes are on the side or the center of the tire.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    To not only keep this thread going, but to add some input....
    I was told by "folks in the know" the whole business with the 29" version being a significant step below the 26" version, in terms of traction, was bunk.

Thanks again for the thread.

not bunk, true. I finally set mine up tubeless and they were almost as good as the 26" version. but running them tubeless is rough on them

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I got mine around Christmas, we havent had any snow to speak of and the the trails were dry
    I mounted them up tubeless, no problem, no compressor
    Couldnt wait so I went for a ride without bedding them in and it was on very technical singletrack
    lost 50 rear and 5 front
    called myself dumbass and ordered more studs.
    never got around to bedding but went on second ride, frozen ground no ice, not too technical
    only lost 1 stud and that was with the knob
    third ride semi technical 50% ice lost 8 studs
    my impressions

knob rubber is soft, even with only about 45-50 miles of trail riding I can see damage to knobs
    maybe the tires hold onto the studs better in colder weather? since cold will stiffen up the rubber
    I see these tires as being replaced each season ( at least the rear) as they wear alot faster than Nokians. They may also slip more on rocks and the massive amounts of studs mean less rubber on the trail
    I will say when I mounted my Nokians tubeless, I also did alot more damage to them and lost alot more studs so being tubeless doesnt help stud loss

the good
    50% lighter than Nokians
    tubeless ready
    they perform pretty much as well as summer tires and all the studs mean NO slipping on ice

so I would say buy them if: you ride on snowy or icy trails, pavement or non technical trails, or dont mind replacing them yearly. Definately bed them in as per instructions
    Ill post back after a few more rides, were getting snow now

Got A Lust for Life...
    It is the same tread pattern, compound, and studs as the 26" version. What could possibly make the 29r version a step below the 26" version?

What is "rough" on them by running tubeless?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    It is the same tread pattern, compound, and studs as the 26" version. What could possibly make the 29r version a step below the 26" version?

What is "rough" on them by running tubeless?
    simple, the 29" wheel has a bigger circumfrence, but the 29" nokians have the same # of knobs and studs as the 26" stretched out . if you look at the 2 side by side youll see the knobs are farther apart on the 29" version

running them tubeless makes the sidewalls more flexy and supple so they make more contact with rocks, ice and such. also slightly less pressure for tubeless

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    simple, the 29" wheel has a bigger circumfrence, but the 29" nokians have the same # of knobs and studs as the 26" stretched out . if you look at the 2 side by side youll see the knobs are farther apart on the 29" version

running them tubeless makes the sidewalls more flexy and supple so they make more contact with rocks, ice and such. also slightly less pressure for tubeless
    I didn't realize there was a comparison between the Nokian. Makes sense that the 29r is really a 1.95.

Which Schwalbe 26" are you referring to, the 26x2.35 or the 26x2.1? The 2.35's knobs are spaced out quite a bit.

It sounds like you are saying that, regardless of the tire, tubeless is rougher on the tire. That doesn't sound right to me. Seems like that is dependent on pressure rather than whether or not there is a tube in the tire.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I didn't realize there was a comparison between the Nokian. Makes sense that the 29r is really a 1.95.

Which Schwalbe 26" are you referring to, the 26x2.35 or the 26x2.1? The 2.35's knobs are spaced out quite a bit.

It sounds like you are saying that, regardless of the tire, tubeless is rougher on the tire. That doesn't sound right to me. Seems like that is dependent on pressure rather than whether or not there is a tube in the tire.

I'm comparing the NOkian 29 to the Nokian 26
    I set up the 29 Nokian tubeless and got better results, almost as good as the 26" version

I am saying running the Nokian or the schwalbe tubeless is rougher. look at it this way
    without a tube the tire is more flexible even at the same psi. thats one of the advantages of tubeless. its also one of the dissadvantages because the sidewalls take a beating.
    another example
    Ive had several tires that got sidewall cuts, sealant wouldnt seal tight, add a tube and I was able to finish the ride
    another example
    virtually all of my tubeless tires wear out the rear sidewall, not the tread, granted I ride rocky trails but when I was tubed I never once tore a sidewall
    I run 26-27 psi tubeless, 27-28 tubed depending on tires

unless the tire is UST there is less reinforcement because there is less rubber, even if you put alot more air in the tubeless tire than the tubed tire the tubeless tire still will have a total sidewall thickness less than a tubed tire including the tube

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    I'm comparing the NOkian 29 to the Nokian 26
    I set up the 29 Nokian tubeless and got better results, almost as good as the 26" version

I am saying running the Nokian or the schwalbe tubeless is rougher. look at it this way
    without a tube the tire is more flexible even at the same psi. thats one of the advantages of tubeless. its also one of the dissadvantages because the sidewalls take a beating.
    another example
    Ive had several tires that got sidewall cuts, sealant wouldnt seal tight, add a tube and I was able to finish the ride
    another example
    virtually all of my tubeless tires wear out the rear sidewall, not the tread, granted I ride rocky trails but when I was tubed I never once tore a sidewall
    I run 26-27 psi tubeless, 27-28 tubed depending on tires

unless the tire is UST there is less reinforcement because there is less rubber, even if you put alot more air in the tubeless tire than the tubed tire the tubeless tire still will have a total sidewall thickness less than a tubed tire including the tube
    I see, I think. You are saying that tube, just by virtue of being behind the sidewall, will not allow the sidewall to tear as easily. Makes sense. I'm not so sure I agree with your example of being able to finish the ride with a tube. Either way, the hole is still there. I do not see that as being an example of it "being more durable." I'm speaking of the sidewall exclusively, not the tube/tire system.
    I really like the Snakeskin and EXO sidewalls. I would like to see a tire with a light, durable sidewall and a protective layer on the tread like the Double Defense. Tubeless bliss without the UST weight...and supple.
    I think one of the reasons I had a hard time wrapping my head around what you were saying is because while it is rocky here, the rocks are likely not as sharp as what you are riding. I never tear sidewalls. The side knobs wear out first, for me. I always run Snakeskin tires. One problem I have with the Ice Spiker is that the damn thing is too light. In my opinion, it should be a double defense tire. The sidewalls are just too thin.

mtbr member
    I have 120kms of trail riding on my Spiker Pro's. Everything from dirt to full iced trail. I went out today and did 30 on a mix of soft snow, rock and rooty mud. I have lost a grand total of 1 stud. This is from the middle row, rear tire. It seems YMMV etc...
    If ya can't fix it with a hammer and vice-grips...it don't need fixin!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast