mtbr member
    May 2014

Scalpel vs Spearfish vs Superfly? Your thoughts?

I'm going with a FS after riding a few years on an entry level Raleigh HT. All bikes I can get good model year end closeout deals on. I've looked at three bikes (all 29er) but have only test ridden one. Oddly enough, the two bikes I didn't get to ride were because someone had just bought the only ones on the floor and were getting fitted. Anyways, I'm just looking to get your opinions on the following bikes I'm looking at. My riding will be XC singletrack in wooded areas with roots, 1/2 - 2 ft drops, streams, rooted / rocky uphill and downhills, and some shallow streams. I do not race nor am I planning on racing.

#1.) 2014 Cannondale Scalpel 3 -
    This was the one I test rode and while I'm 5'9'' 190lbs, the large frame felt the best. Felt really good, lightweight and like I was riding "in" as opposed to riding "on top". Good components but I'm not familiar with lefties and how it would feel on downhills...not to mention cost to repair if it came to it. My LBS has it at $2100 but is willing to deal even lower.

#2.) 2014 Salsa Spearfish 2-
    Didn't get to ride, but my LBS just got one in and they are going to call me when they have it assembled so I can ride it. Fox / SRAM/ Avid Elixir components. I have no experience with Salsa and have heard (online forums) good things but some say that they feel tight in downhill turns and there are some durability issues with their frames. LBS will let go for $1990 on closeout.

#3.) 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite -
    Haven't ridden one yet (which I will soon) but I've read / heard good things. According to a 'Q & A' on Trek's website for this model, it was stated that this bike is 19lbs...which I suspect is not accurate being its a FS aluminum frame. Comparable components and cost is $1900 from my LBS.

I don't feel that I would go wrong picking any of these bikes, but I'm trying to get the best I can for my money. How the bikes feel will ultimately dictate which one I will buy, but I'm looking for your opinions on the matter. Thanks!

dvn
    mtbr member
    No way they will sell you a 2014 Spearfish 2 for $1900. These retail for $3299 and a 2014 would not be on "close out". Must be a 2013.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    No way they will sell you a 2014 Spearfish 2 for $1900. These retail for $3299 and a 2014 would not be on "close out". Must be a 2013.
    2014 Trek's are starting to be on close out. The 2015 are starting to come in.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Haha okay dude, I must've misread the "2014 Spearfish 2, $1950 Closeout" tag dangling from the handlebar of a bright orange 2014 Salsa Spearfish 2 bike. You read from left to right, top to bottom, right??

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jboner36 View Post
    Haha okay dude, I must've misread the "2014 Spearfish 2, $1950 Closeout" tag dangling from the handlebar of a bright orange 2014 Salsa Spearfish 2 bike. You read from left to right, top to bottom, right??
    Yes "dude", I believe you must have misread or the dealer made a mistake. I stand by my statement that they will not sell that bike for $1950. Or $1990 like you said in your first post. If they will, I'd jump all over that. A 2014 Spearfish frame alone is $1700. Good luck though.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yes "dude", I believe you must have misread or the dealer made a mistake. I stand by my statement that they will not sell that bike for $1950. Or $1990 like you said in your first post. If they will, I'd jump all over that. A 2014 Spearfish frame alone is $1700. Good luck though.
    Maybe not all bike shops are out to make a huge buck off people and they actually value customer service. I called and confirmed with my LBS too btw. Thanks for answering my OP btw.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Maybe not all bike shops are out to make a huge buck off people and they actually value customer service. I called and confirmed with my LBS too btw. Thanks for answering my OP btw.
    i still don't believe you...you are a liar

i would ask the moderator to call the LBS to confirm in order to substantiate deletion of this thread

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    i still don't believe you...you are a liar

i would ask the moderator to call the LBS to confirm in order to substantiate deletion of this thread
    Lol. I can't help but SMH at the direction this thread went and most of your attitudes. If someone seriously wants to call the shop, by all means go ahead. PM me and I'll give the name... Not the phone # tho because you can google that- I would probably lie about that too anyways.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Lol. I can't help but SMH at the direction this thread went and most of your attitudes. If someone seriously wants to call the shop, by all means go ahead. PM me and I'll give the name... Not the phone # tho because you can google that- I would probably lie about that too anyways.
    dont fret, the average 29er forum poster/reader/etc is an utterly insecure douchebag who can't imagine somebody getting an upper hand on them be it a better price on a bike than they are able to get...or otherwise.

if you want credible feedback i would highly recommend you restrict your posting and/or queries for valuable input to the Turner forum - definitely not here, unless of course Mikesee chooses to grace us with his e-presence and infinite wisdom on all things Lenz

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm going with a FS after riding a few years on an entry level Raleigh HT. All bikes I can get good model year end closeout deals on. I've looked at three bikes (all 29er) but have only test ridden one. Oddly enough, the two bikes I didn't get to ride were because someone had just bought the only ones on the floor and were getting fitted. Anyways, I'm just looking to get your opinions on the following bikes I'm looking at. My riding will be XC singletrack in wooded areas with roots, 1/2 - 2 ft drops, streams, rooted / rocky uphill and downhills, and some shallow streams. I do not race nor am I planning on racing.

#1.) 2014 Cannondale Scalpel 3 -
    This was the one I test rode and while I'm 5'9'' 190lbs, the large frame felt the best. Felt really good, lightweight and like I was riding "in" as opposed to riding "on top". Good components but I'm not familiar with lefties and how it would feel on downhills...not to mention cost to repair if it came to it. My LBS has it at $2100 but is willing to deal even lower.

#2.) 2014 Salsa Spearfish 2-
    Didn't get to ride, but my LBS just got one in and they are going to call me when they have it assembled so I can ride it. Fox / SRAM/ Avid Elixir components. I have no experience with Salsa and have heard (online forums) good things but some say that they feel tight in downhill turns and there are some durability issues with their frames. LBS will let go for $1990 on closeout.

#3.) 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite -
    Haven't ridden one yet (which I will soon) but I've read / heard good things. According to a 'Q & A' on Trek's website for this model, it was stated that this bike is 19lbs...which I suspect is not accurate being its a FS aluminum frame. Comparable components and cost is $1900 from my LBS.

I don't feel that I would go wrong picking any of these bikes, but I'm trying to get the best I can for my money. How the bikes feel will ultimately dictate which one I will buy, but I'm looking for your opinions on the matter. Thanks!
    I'm riding a SF 9.8 hardtail. The 9.6 is the same frame and setup. If you read the reviews of the 9.6,7 or 8 bikes on Trek's site you will see the bikes being used for distance racing. And you will see owners preferring these bikes to fs bikes they own. The compliance Trek has engineered in the 9.6, etc. is unique. You do not need the complexity, cost, weight and maintenance of a fs with this as an option. I completely agree. I'll be using mine anywhere I would ride a Fuel Ex 120mm fs bike. This makes 120 an lower travel fs bikes obsolete except for riders with physical problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    This makes 120 an lower travel fs bikes obsolete except for riders with physical problems.
    You make some good points, but this last bit saying that 120mm and lower fs bikes (which just to remind everyone would include bikes like the Czar, Ripley, Tallboy, Mach 429c, etc.) are made obsolete by a compliant hardtail unless someone has physical problems is a pretty bold statement. Especially since the OP isn't racing and likes drops, roots and rocky uphills and downhills, etc. Don't get me wrong, I have a hardtail and enjoy it, and I'm sure your hardtail is very capable, but it's a different experience than riding a FS bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    You make some good points, but this last bit saying that 120mm and lower fs bikes (which just to remind everyone would include bikes like the Czar, Ripley, Tallboy, Mach 429c, etc.) are made obsolete by a compliant hardtail unless someone has physical problems is a pretty bold statement. Especially since the OP isn't racing and likes drops, roots and rocky uphills and downhills, etc. Don't get me wrong, I have a hardtail and enjoy it, and I'm sure your hardtail is very capable, but it's a different experience than riding a FS bike.
    Those are some of the best bikes made today.
    And if you're consistently riding them 'beyond' their capability because it's fun a 9.8 won't measure up for your level of performance. Maybe a better statement would be "for purposes of comfort and ordinary performance this makes 120 and lower travel fs bikes obsolete except for riders with physical problems." Finesse riders can push a 9.8 into the same areas of 'beyond' fun right along with the other 120mm fs bikes. The SID comes with two tokens installed to help with that.
    It is a different ride for sure. You feel the rock or root more than you do with a fs. Because of the way Trek has engineered the rear damping you don't feel the jarring from the rock. It feels like the full frame follows it not the rear stays. It's fun to hit stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    Are your local bike shops putting Trek on closeout now? I was at my local Trek dealer yesterday looking at both the FS and HT 9.8 carbon, but they're still retail and they told me Trek won't discount at all until Mid August (I even asked if he would inquire as to discounting now, but he said they won't).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek dealers have a floor sales plan that doesn't allow ordinary sales people to negotiate with buyers beyond usually 5%. I used cash and only spoke with managers/owners. They aren't restricted. 2 out of 6 shops within 50 miles would work with me to do a deal where I needed to be to go forward.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Trek dealers have a floor sales plan that doesn't allow ordinary sales people to negotiate with buyers beyond usually 5%. I used cash and only spoke with managers/owners. They aren't restricted. 2 out of 6 shops within 50 miles would work with me to do a deal where I needed to be to go forward.
    That's too bad, because I would have paid cash yesterday for the bike, I'm literally so tired of driving all over the place, trying to ride bikes that noone has in stock that I was ready to buy the first one that felt "right", and this was it. But I'm not paying $5,000 when the 2015 model is out in 10 days. Oh well, lost sale, I'll drive over and look at a Salsa this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I was very happy with my 2012 spearfish overall. The rear derailleur can be fragile though. I broke one and apparently it's common. The rear shock is only 80mm and is not plush, but that's the point. I'd probably go trek....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Scalpel 3 is the bomb!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by IFallDown View Post
    Scalpel 3 is the bomb!!!!
    Can you elaborate why you feel that way? When I test rode it, I felt very comfortable on it. How is it on fast and rooty / rocky downhills?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Can you elaborate why you feel that way? When I test rode it, I felt very comfortable on it. How is it on fast and rooty / rocky downhills?
    I live in Florida lots or roots I have ridden in GA several times, the left is great at picking a line and hitting it! the fox rear suspension is on point. The bike is very light and fast. It has made me a better rider all around. I use to ride a scott scale and have ridden the scott spark and the scalpel is a far better bike IMO!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My brother rides a SF 9.8 and loves it.

We both have HT's and FS bikes and spend an equal amount of time on both.
    I must admit though, as much fun as it is to ride a " compliant " 29er HT , There is no comparison to the feel of rear suspension.....a totally different ride.

I really appreciate the ride and feel of my C'dale Flash with SAVE but even my XC race bike " Scalpel " is a way softer ride.

OP, Unless you have really long legs you may want to spend a little more time on a MED Scalpel before you decide on a LG .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should pry the 9.8 away from your brother for a demo. The ride is unique. And no way soft and mushy like a fs bike. It retains trail feel that makes hitting bumps fun. You no longer get beat up doing it. A fs is a downgrade from a performance and fun point of view. Unless you need soft for medical reasons.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    You can't beat the Trek, and especially because it is the lowest price, I would buy the Superfly if I were in your position.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!