mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Scalpel vs Niner Jet 9 RDO

I'm thinking about these two bikes for XC racing. Im leaning more towards the RDO but I've heard that it's "wobbly" on the tops after climbs , and hard to get up in high speed on flats.

For setup , both bikes will have the same setup; XX1 and Lefty 100mm. Also heard that the rear shock switch on RDO is hard to reach. True?

Verdict from Norwegian magazin : "The Jet 9 RDO is not a bad bike , it's just not the bike for racing. This is a bike that is more suitable for longer technical rides. For trail riding it's more then good enough , but if you want a bike that is fast on climbs or need a quick team mate to push you when it's getting tough. The Jet 9 RDO is not the best choice."

Been racing with Cannondale bikes for a few years now , but I want to try something new. Should I continue with Scalpel or try the Jet 9 RDO?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The best thing you can do is demo them both. I haven't ridden the Jet, but I was extremely impressed with the Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah I was gonna do that. My LBS got a Jet 9, not the RDO for demo. The problem is that this bike is setup for trail with spacers for higher front and is very sluggish. The rep told me that the RDO is stiffer with 142x12 and that the new CTD rear shock can be more "locked" then the old rp23. To bad I cant try that out : (

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I demo'd the Jet 9 RDO and it was my favorite of 7 29er FS bikes I demo'd (Second favorite was Giant Trance X0 29, which is really an AM bike but which I flew on even uphills surprisingly). No problem reaching the rear shock switch, though I found that "T" mode was awfully good for any climbs except fairly smooth double-track where changing the mode wouldn't be a challenge in any case. I haven't demo'd the Scalpel.

I agree with HS racer that the best thing you can do is demo them both. I went into my demo weekend thinking I'd like the Specialized Epic but I absolutely hated it when I went to ride it - way too twitchy.

The 2013 Jet 9 carbon is the same as the 2012 Jet 9 RDO. It has the same geometry as the 2013 RDO but a QR 135 rear and one or two other things. I hear that they ride. very similarly, though. So you could see if your LBS has a Jet 9 carbon to demo. The non-carbon jet 9 is not just a different material, it is different geometry and is not going to give you a sense of what the Jet 9 RDO will feel like. And my guess is also that putting on a Lefty fork will change the equation substantially again from anything you could demo.

Carbon & Ti rule
    If it's the 2012 jet9 Alloy style bike with 80mm of rear travel, It will give you no idea what the Jet9 RDO is like.

I had a 2010 Jet9 Alloy & it was an ok bike ( it got me loving 29 inch wheels ) But it always left me wanting a better bike.

When I brought the Jet9 RDO I was surprised at just how fast it was everywhere.

As for reaching down to the shock lever I never felt the need to use it, This bike just pedals so well.

The fact that the Jet9 RDO is so good in the ruff doesn't take away from how good it is as a race bike.

The harder thing to work out is what build to do.

Going XX1 is good.

Can you afford carbon wheels ?

I would go Jet9 carbon with carbon wheels, Before I looked at going jet9 RDO with alloy wheels.

mtbr member
    I rode and raced a 26" hardtails for years. I was convinced it was holding me back. I bought a Scalpel this year... I'm convinced I'm holding it back. Other FS 29ers I rode felt like I was disconnected - floating. My Scalpel feels as sharp and connected as my HT... it's just that the rocks and roots seem to deflate as I go by. Somehow, Cannondale struck a badass balance with this bike. I'm a fan.

Obligatory garage door pic:
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post

Can you afford carbon wheels ?

I would go Jet9 carbon with carbon wheels, Before I looked at going jet9 RDO with alloy wheels.
    Hi Muzz! Hoped you would answer : ) Yes the plan is to get the next years scalpel 2014 team and either keep or sell the frame for a Jet 9 RDO. XX1, kforce and Enve wheels etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I rode and raced a 26" hardtails for years. I was convinced it was holding me back. I bought a Scalpel this year... I'm convinced I'm holding it back. Other FS 29ers I rode felt like I was disconnected - floating. My Scalpel feels as sharp and connected as my HT... it's just that the rocks and roots seem to deflate as I go by. Somehow, Cannondale struck a badass balance with this bike. I'm a fan.
    Nice bike! Did you demo the Jet 9 before buying the Scalpel? I love the Scalpel.. But never had the chance to try the Jet 9 RDO. Maybe its even better? : )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanoric View Post
    Nice bike! Did you demo the Jet 9 before buying the Scalpel? I love the Scalpel.. But never had the chance to try the Jet 9 RDO. Maybe its even better? : )
    No. I didn't ride the Jet 9. So... if ya think about it, my input is damn close to useless. 'Cause you're right - what if the Jet 9's better. I do love the Scalpel though. And, I got from my favorite shop. The guys are great to me there, I send them lots of of business, they're great to me... Cumbya my...
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Having ridden neither, if intense xc racing were the main focus I'd get the Scalpel, but if longer days and/or endurance racing were equally important, I'd go Jet 9 RDO.

I agree with Muzz that the old Jet 9 will tell you NOTHING about the RDO, but completely disagree about it not mattering if the CTD lever is easily reached. Every serious racer uses the lever.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    I own the Jet9 RDO v2 and I use the CTD shock lever all the time. I don't have any problems reaching down to flip it. I will say that the only time I use the lever is to swap between trail and descend modes. I've never actually felt the need to put the rear shock into climb mode because the CVA suspension already does a stelar job in minimizing pedal bob. I like having a little bit squish for climbing rocky rooty technical sections, which is about the only time the rear suspension will move if you're spinning uphill in trail mode. I also have a Fox CTD up front and that I will switch between all 3 modes depending on the situation on the trail.

I have no experience with the Scalpel, but it does seem to be a bit more of a dedicated XC race machine vs the RDO.

Like many before me have said, you gotta test ride them before you can make a real decision. There are plenty of people on the internet that rave about bikes that after taking them out for a test ride I felt rode like poo.