• Cannondale Scalpel 29er Carbon 2

5 55.56%
  • Giant Anthem 29er Advanced 1

4 44.44%
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Scalpel Carbon 2 Vs. Anthem Advanced 1

Hey all,

I'm upgrading to a race oriented full suspension 29er through my LBS. My team has a deal with both Cannondale and Giant and I'm looking at Giant's Anthem Advanced 1 and Cannondale's Scalpel 29er Carbon 2

Both bikes have their pros and cons as I see it but I'm looking for some advice from people who are familiar with the individual components or better yet, the bikes themselves.

Anthem:
    Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Pros:
    Full XT groupo, including brakes.
    Cheaper
    I got to test ride one and I liked it.

Cons:
    Aluminum rear triangle, so it's heavier.
    Isn't available for 3 weeks (through my LBS)

Scalpel:
    SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 2 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

Pros:
    Lefty (from what I hear, the new ones are great and require less maintenance)
    Lighter, all carbon frame.
    Nicer drive train, including carbon crankset

Cons:
    Avid brakes, which I hear are prone to problems
    more expensive
    I won't be able to test ride before I buy, though I've ridden the hardtail version of this bike and enjoyed it.

Above is a basic outline of the bikes as I see it. I'm wondering if anyone has experience wit stuff like Maestro suspension on the Giant, vs the Rockshox Monarch on the Canndondale.

Are Avids as bad as they say? I could replace with XT brakes if all else fails.

Bottomline: Both look like killer bikes, and I'm going to buy one of them; Just not sure where my money will be better spent. Help me out!

Thanks!!!

Your Best Friend

Re: Scalpel Carbon 2 Vs. Anthem Advanced 1

Quote Originally Posted by nafrod View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has experience wit stuff like Maestro suspension on the Giant, vs the Rockshox Monarch on the Canndondale.
    Not sure what this paragraph is asking. They both use a Monarch rear shock.

The Giant Maestro suspension is a dual short link style design. IMO the DSL designs are at the fore front of bicycle suspension designs.

The Cannondale uses a standard single pivot design. The only pro IMO is it is lighter. That's it. My buddy rides the Scalpel 1 29er and just had to warranty it for a broken left chain stay.

The Giants cheaper, has a better suspension design, better brakes and a lifetime warranty. No brainer.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member

Re: Scalpel Carbon 2 Vs. Anthem Advanced 1

I have no input on the bikes, but if you go with the scalpel definitely have them swap the brakes out for XT brakes if at all possible. I went from Avid Ultimate brakes to XT and feel that the Shimano are way more predictable. They don't change with long descents, brake incredibly well, have good modulation, and are quiet. I'm in Utah, so I've had LONG descents to test them out on!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd go with the Giant. I don't care for single pivot bikes, but they do have the advantage of usually being pretty light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Heard back from the shop. The Scalpel is no longer available. Looks like I'm going with the Anthem. Unless I would go with the Scalpel 1..But it's far out of my price range.