Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Scalpel 29er rumor: true? Anyone got more info?

I was in my LBS yesterday drooling over the 2011 Flash Carbon 29ers, and the manager casually mentioned that Cannondale will be launching a full-suspension Scalpel 29er in the spring of 2011. He said it WILL have a pivot near the BB, rather than the flexible chainstays on the 26er version. Anyone else heard this? Any more info? I'm considering holding out on the Flash purchase based on this rumor....

Naturally Organic
    I would consider it.

banned
    Was told from Cannondale they will be making a Scalpel 29 as a 2011 1/2 model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yes, next year they are ready to indroduce. They re just not sure what RS they will go with or if there will be multiple offerings.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird
    I was in my LBS yesterday drooling over the 2011 Flash Carbon 29ers, and the manager casually mentioned that Cannondale will be launching a full-suspension Scalpel 29er in the spring of 2011. He said it WILL have a pivot near the BB, rather than the flexible chainstays on the 26er version. Anyone else heard this? Any more info? I'm considering holding out on the Flash purchase based on this rumor....
    I am curious where he heard this. The whole point of the Scalpel is not having that pivot and the mass savings etc. It could be with the longer stays of the 29er, it would not be strong enough since the Scalpel's chainstays are basically cantilevers.
    Anyway, very cool to hear they are finally doing this, and I would definitely wait this out especially if you are interested in racing.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I heard that it will happen. There is a good chance I may sell my Tallboy.

Keep on Rockin...

Really...

Since the advent of 29er popularity I've said the Scalpel platform would make for an ideal 29er xc bike.

I'm hoping they keep the pivotless chainstays as otherwise it will be just another high maintenance, overweight FS 29er.

For example, look at the Tallboy. Are you really going to feel the benefits of an advanced suspension design over the distance of 3 to 4" of travel (3" after sag)? Doubt it. Yet, you still get all the hassle, slop, and weight of a pile of pivots.

I'm a believer in short travel, simple suspension. Long travel, advanced suspension.

A 29er Scalpel with 4" of pivotless chainstay travel would be the ticket.

mtbr member
    if the big c was smart they would intro a 29er line with versions of a scalpel, prophet and gemini!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    Since the advent of 29er popularity I've said the Scalpel platform would make for an ideal 29er xc bike.

I'm hoping they keep the pivotless chainstays as otherwise it will be just another high maintenance, overweight FS 29er.

For example, look at the Tallboy. Are you really going to feel the benefits of an advanced suspension design over the distance of 3 to 4" of travel (3" after sag)? Doubt it. Yet, you still get all the hassle, slop, and weight of a pile of pivots.

I'm a believer in short travel, simple suspension. Long travel, advanced suspension.

I agree with you Miker J except I do think the Scalpel suspension is advanced. My opinion in the matter is that no matter how much travel, any bike will benifit from handlebar mounted damping control. My Cdale Rush for instance has 140mm in the rear and I can adjust it to out of the saddle stiff to downhill plush in less than 1/2 a second and it has been a very successful racing machine as well as a very sweet technical terrain bicycle. But, for a super lightweight racing 29er, the Scalpel would be the ticket. Definitely not as versitile as the Rush, but very race capable in the rough when lap times are the only concern. Personally, I don't see another racing bike that would touch it or the 26er version for that matter. What wheel size you choose depending on the terrain and or rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Pivotless Scalpel 29" with Syntace X142 rear axle....that's the way to go for good rear triangle stiffness while keeping the traditional suspension system of the Scalpel

Keep on Rockin...

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I agree with you Miker J except I do think the Scalpel suspension is advanced. My opinion in the matter is that no matter how much travel, any bike will benifit from handlebar mounted damping control. My Cdale Rush for instance has 140mm in the rear and I can adjust it to out of the saddle stiff to downhill plush in less than 1/2 a second and it has been a very successful racing machine as well as a very sweet technical terrain bicycle. But, for a super lightweight racing 29er, the Scalpel would be the ticket. Definitely not as versitile as the Rush, but very race capable in the rough when lap times are the only concern. Personally, I don't see another racing bike that would touch it or the 26er version for that matter. What wheel size you choose depending on the terrain and or rider.
    Agree on the handlebar lockout for a xc race bike.

When I say "advanced" its a bit tongue-in-cheek".

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Second that sentiment. Think 4" of travel is reasonable with that design?
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Keep on Rockin...

Don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Second that sentiment. Think 4" of travel is reasonable with that design?

Isn't the current Scalpel 4" out back? While I've not ridden one I've not heard any complaints.

mtbr member
    My guess is that Cannondale, like usual, wants to get it perfect before they release it.

Good For You
    I used to get a swelling in my pants at the mention of a Scalpel 29er, I'd see rumors of prototypes on here, other sites and from reps. But each model year would come and go and there would be no Scalpel 29er, so I got a Leviathan to suit my lightweight XC needs. That was great for a while, but then Specialized got on the ball and made the Epic 29er, so I got that and no longer care if they make the Scalpel 29er. I really don't care now that the S-Works Epic 29er exists. The advantages I saw that were exclusive to Cannondale (Lefty, BB30, oversized headtube, etc.) have all been addressed or improved by Specialized. Plus, the Scalpel scheduled to come out next year isn't going to be the 29er version of the 26er XC race weapon, its likely to be more like a 29er RZ120-lite. I hope I'm wrong, but from what I've heard about it, it doesn't sound like it.

Keep on Rockin...

Really....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boy
    I used to get a swelling in my pants at the mention of a Scalpel 29er, I'd see rumors of prototypes on here, other sites and from reps. But each model year would come and go and there would be no Scalpel 29er, so I got a Leviathan to suit my lightweight XC needs. That was great for a while, but then Specialized got on the ball and made the Epic 29er, so I got that and no longer care if they make the Scalpel 29er. I really don't care now that the S-Works Epic 29er exists. The advantages I saw that were exclusive to Cannondale (Lefty, BB30, oversized headtube, etc.) have all been addressed or improved by Specialized. Plus, the Scalpel scheduled to come out next year isn't going to be the 29er version of the 26er XC race weapon, its likely to be more like a 29er RZ120-lite. I hope I'm wrong, but from what I've heard about it, it doesn't sound like it.
    Next year I'm likely going to get back into xc racing and was hoping C'dale was there with a 29er Scalple. Locally I have a Spec rep who is good to work with so may end up going that route. (Or despite what I mentioned in the above post, a Tallboy.)

The main thing that has me wanting a C'dale is the Lefty - for its weight, that fork is great. Also, I like pivotless stays. Less hassle, squeaks and creaks.

What is it that won you over on the Epic?

Thanks.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    however Cannondale is late !!

Specialized with its Epic carbon 29er will be a best seller , eating a big slice of market of hi-end light 29er bikes

in the 29er set up , Lefty is still a benchmark , maybe this thing will help a middle season model ...

i wait for this Scalpel... in september the 2011 26" model will be mine , but ready to be reselled when 29" is landing

Good For You
    Next year I'm likely going to get back into xc racing and was hoping C'dale was there with a 29er Scalple. Locally I have a Spec rep who is good to work with so may end up going that route. (Or despite what I mentioned in the above post, a Tallboy.)

The main thing that has me wanting a C'dale is the Lefty - for its weight, that fork is great. Also, I like pivotless stays. Less hassle, squeaks and creaks.

What is it that won you over on the Epic?

Thanks.
    I had a DLR2 Carbon 110 Lefty and a PBR Carbon 130 Lefty on my Leviathan. The weight and the torsional stiffness were great, but I was resetting the bearings pretty often. Also, the Specialized has the OS28 endcaps/fork legs which help a great deal with torsional stiffness and a custom carbon crown/steerer to help get the weight closer to a Lefty.
    The biggest factor however, was the Brain. Some people don't like it (I suspect they didn't have it setup properly), but for me it sealed the deal.
    Now, with the S-Works, you've got a carbon frame, more travel, Brain fork, carbon rims, x142 rear axle, etc.
    I don't see Cannondale trumping that anytime soon (from what I've heard).

mtbr member
    I don't see Cannondale trumping that anytime soon (from what I've heard).

Awww, come on, you can't just leave us hangin' like that! What have you heard? I gather that you don't believe the Scalpel 29er will be an XC-race focused rig like the 26er. Care to elaborate? (Please?)

Good For You
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird
    Awww, come on, you can't just leave us hangin' like that! What have you heard? I gather that you don't believe the Scalpel 29er will be an XC-race focused rig like the 26er. Care to elaborate? (Please?)
    Nothing more than what has been mentioned earlier in this thread. I heard its going to have a pivot and be closer to a lightweight RZ120 than the 29er version of the current 26er Scalpel. Based on this, I don't think "ultimate XC race machine" is their goal.

likes to ride bikes
    For 2011 the Scalpel 26" travel has been reduced to 80mm. The original design was a little less than that (2.7"), but took tons of podiums (Sauser riding it helped).

I think going back to 80mm from 100mm is wise; the 2008 design was known for being a little noodly with nothing but Propedal to prevent that. It's an elegant softtail design and 3" should be perfect, especially for a 29er.

Isn't the current Scalpel 4" out back? While I've not ridden one I've not heard any complaints.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I heard its going to have a pivot and be closer to a lightweight RZ120 than the 29er version of the current 26er Scalpel.
    Not sure where you heard this, but this is good news for me. I'de rather have a little more travel for ultimate speed than be super light weight for "ultimate racing". I'm sure if Cdale has anything to do with it, it will still be super light weight in its class....light enough to race and certainly lighter than my Sultan.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that pivotless suspensions keep the speed of the compression of the shock the same through the travel, and all the new suspension designs are designed with the pivot so that the rate of shock travel is different depending on where the suspension is in it's travel. This makes it easier to keep the shock working nicely in the first inch and the last inch.

likes to ride bikes
    A pivotless full suspension frame is what many call a softtail. Cannondale pushed that theory to the limit with its 4" of pivotless suspension, and I think its move back to 3" of travel acknowledged that; it's back in the short-travel realm where softtails do their thing well.

To answer your assertion with a question, when you pull the arrow back on a (non-compound) bow, does the stress of the draw stay the same or does it get harder? And that's a nice feeling to have on the trail. Progressive suspension has some very attractive characteristics without a lot of fancy engineering like DW-Link.

Quote Originally Posted by gtluke
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that pivotless suspensions keep the speed of the compression of the shock the same through the travel, and all the new suspension designs are designed with the pivot so that the rate of shock travel is different depending on where the suspension is in it's travel. This makes it easier to keep the shock working nicely in the first inch and the last inch.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    light or not light as stock versions, will be not hard to have a 8,9 kg sull suspension 29er

but i guess can be done a built close to 8 kg too

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast