mtbr member
    Jul 2014

SC Tallboy LT Ride Quality?

Hey guys,

I know this has been covered quite a few times, but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer...so I'm hoping to get one here by posting this.

I'm looking to buy a 2014 Tallboy LT X01 build (Got a great deal on it).

I live in Charlotte, North Carolina and most of the trails are ride are rooty with medium climbs and medium descents and a bunch of switch backs.

My question is...how is the tallboy LT on that terrain in terms plush and root bump absorption and also on switchbacks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have an LTC and it is good on everything above except descending switchbacks.

For climbing it does better seated.

Turner czar is one of the best 29ers I have ridden for switchbacks. I have a 71 HTA hardtail 29er and it is a little better on descending switchbacks than the LTC. But neither is as good as 650b or a 26er.
    Last edited by goodmojo; 07-19-2014 at 09:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Set the shock correctly and it'll be more than adequate. The wheelbase will be most of what you're contending with on switchbacks, that's not ride quality so much as inherent geometry of long travel 29ers.

The Turners are really low slung and compact bikes, which is why they shine on tight switchbacks, but they don't have that absurdly leggy feel of the Tallboys just floating imperiously over some obstacles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I guess that goes with all 29ers. I have a 2014 Fuel Ex9.8 XT build now and it does everything well except for switchbacks...totally sucks on them, but than again it's the XL frame so who knows.

Maybe I should look into the 650b...but than again, I love the feel of a 29er...especially when you let some air out of the tire and it just rolls over stuff!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My 1rst suggestion would be to dump the fox shock, if I didnt switch it out, I would have sold my frame along time ago. I to live in the east, bike handles everything very good. Very plush through the chunk. I cant comment on the switchbacks as I have changed the bike setup since the last time I have done some... before the changes,, it was pretty poor, front wheel pushed out bad (xxl frame). Heading out west soon and will get my fair switchbacks to test out with new setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1029 View Post
    My 1rst suggestion would be to dump the fox shock, if I didnt switch it out, I would have sold my frame along time ago. I to live in the east, bike handles everything very good. Very plush through the chunk. I cant comment on the switchbacks as I have changed the bike setup since the last time I have done some... before the changes,, it was pretty poor, front wheel pushed out bad (xxl frame). Heading out west soon and will get my fair switchbacks to test out with new setup.
    Did you just change the rear shock or the front fork as well? and what did you change it to?

I noticed that SC went to Rock Shox for the 2015 models.

mtbr member
    I bought a TBLT because it had most of the qualities of an efficient XC bike with the added benefits of longer travel.
    I think the switchback issue is mostly a head angle issue. I have a 29er Intense Spider that handle switchbacks about as good as my 26er Superlight. It has a 72 degree head angle.

The Czar is more of an XC bike than the TBLT but wheelbase is almost identical.

Going to smaller wheels doesn't necessarily make a bike better at switchbacks. I tested lots of 27.5s I thought were too slack and floppy. The TBLT feels more nimble to me than a lot of comparable AM 27.5ers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    How would you guys compare the Tallboy LT with Pivot 429?

mtbr member
    The 429 is more comparable to a Tallboy. Both good choices as well. You need to decide if you need the extra travel and beefier fork or prefer light weight, more efficient, and quicker handling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    The 429 is more comparable to a Tallboy. Both good choices as well. You need to decide if you need the extra travel and beefier fork or prefer light weight, more efficient, and quicker handling.
    I think both being 29ers, the handling will be within about 10% difference, am I right? Also if you had to pick which would you pick and why?

I'm placing the order tomorrow...so doing my due diligence on the forums today :-)

mtbr member
    Switchbacks are not going to be really a problem on any of the bikes, even really tight switchbacks that you're looking at. Realistically the biggest limiting factor usually on a switchback is the rider themselves using either poor technique or being lazy in a turn (that would be me!).

Sure the longer wheelbases can make a the bikes a bit more of a handful in the turn, but once you get used to the size of the bike, and use proper technique the switchbacks will be nothing but something to look forward too!

Remember to look through your exits and you'll get any bike through a switchback!

mtbr member
    I agree that switchbacks are more about skill than the bike.
    I disagree that all 29ers can be lumped together in terms of how they handle any more than 26ers can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkerBike View Post
    Did you just change the rear shock or the front fork as well? and what did you change it to?

I noticed that SC went to Rock Shox for the 2015 models.
    From the strat I went with a pike, but the monarch plus was a world of difference. Fox just sucks. I would have to now agree with the general public, this bike loves a short stem, wide bars,, and the shortest stack you could handle. Cant say its the best climbing bike I have ridden, but its the best overall bike I have owned to date. It does everything very good. If you want a bike to it all, I say you cant go wrong. As for switchbacks, I feel head angle has a lot to do with it.. my ells is in the the low 70's and just goes around them like they werent even there. I also feel the tb requires more body position, but again it will climb very well and just tear up the dh. I wish I had a chance to test out the yeti to compare for you, but I have ridden many other frames and the tb is a keeper for me. GL with your decision.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1029 View Post
    My Fox stuff works great. What model year are you talking about?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ride an LTc in western NC and I love it. No problems handling Pisgah switchbacks. Best all around bike I've owned.

mtbr member
    I ride an LTc in SoCal. Switchbacks are a part of most rides. The bike is only limited by my ability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have owned all 3 bikes, though my Pivot was an early alloy 429. I know that Pivot changed the 429 some since mine so keep that in mind. If I wanted to climb steep trails with switchbacks look at wheelbase and chain stay length. Shorter bikes are going to go around tight turns better than longer ones. My fav. for steep trails is the TB2, very quick around turns including uphill turns, I have read that the Turner Czar is very good also. If you want a bike to do everything then I would go with the TBLT. The TBLT sits in that middle area where its quick enough on turns and a decent climber with lots of overlap into the areas that the 4" travel bikes excel while being plush through rocks and roots and very smooth downhill. It depends on where you ride and your handling preferences. As everyone says try to ride the bikes before you buy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Going to smaller wheels doesn't necessarily make a bike better at switchbacks. I tested lots of 27.5s I thought were too slack and floppy. The TBLT feels more nimble to me than a lot of comparable AM 27.5ers.
    This is exactly true - mine was a really truncated observation that the geometry used on longer travel AM type 29ers (67-68.5' Head Tube Angle, 18"+ Chain Stays) coupled with the requisite wheelbase to make the seat-bar cockpit space makes them not handle great on tight switchbacks - the extra slack 650B and even 26" options that are set up similarly are just as bad in those same scenarios, but those tend to be by choice (for stability) whereas the LT 29ers are basically stuck with that geo setup in order to make the 5" of travel useful. Net result is that for most people who want stable, capable, and good-climbing bikes for the weight class the LT 29's are in a class of their own, but tight switchbacks is where some of that tradeoff is made.

A good dropper did more for my ability to handle tight switchbacks than anything else bike related - once I wasn't trying to negotiate tight stuff while perched atop the saddle, I could maneuver the bike (instead of trying to muscle a 32lb pig around) and that made a huge difference on my ability to gain skill at it. It wasn't a case of the part buying me skill, it just created the space to where I could grow and improve as a rider and learn that skill.

In the mid-range of parts spec (Revelation/Talas forks, FloatCTD or Monarch shocks, SLX/X9 stuff) the component set is extremely capable, but it really comes down to preference on a lot of those; for people who don't mind tinkering with a bike mid-ride the CTD Fox setup can work extremely well (I should be happy with parking it in Trail and leaving it, but can't help myself). I'm partial to the Shimano brakes, but the rest of the grouppo stuff the best I can say about the SLX stuff I have now is that it feels as good as the X5/X7 mutt mix from the last bike. So much of it comes down to personal preference that it's a disservice to not get some seat time yourself - even being a voracious reader of reviews, it's hard to really figure out which stuff I weighted/preferred until I sat on and tried to pedal up and over stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    My GF rides a orbea 26'er, it's old as **** and she kicks my ass on the trail, even though I have a 2014 Fuel Ex 9.8. I guess the bike is 25% and it's the 75% that goes to the riders endurance and skill.

Clueless Bastard
    I agree that switchbacks are more about skill than the bike. I disagree that all 29ers can be lumped together in terms of how they handle any more than 26ers can.
    Steve's post made me chuckle as I was riding with a couple buddies a week ago. Both were on 27.5s. We came to a down to a tight (not horrible) switchback. The first rider bailed as he couldn't navigate the turn. I rode it out, slow and methodical, and then as I passed him yelled out. "How in the f*ck did that just happen? It must be the wheel size!" He's a good guy, so I hope he launched a water bottle at me.

Bikes, riders and terrain. Too many variables to generalize.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just placed an order on a Tallboy LTc X01 build. Overnighted it...excited to see how it rides!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Come join us in the owners thread.

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

If you have questions getting the bike dialed in we'll be more than happy to help