Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

SC Superlight or Giant Trance X?

If I was after an all-round frame for trail/xc, to run with 120mm Rebas. Come from hardtail/ss background and would probably run 1x10.

Similar price....Tallboy too much money. Would ideally test both, but unlikely to happen.

5'10" so probably medium Trance X (when it becomes available over here in UK) or large Supelight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Superlight 29 can run 120 mm as an option. Note that the frame has a tapered steerer, so you may need an adapter if your Reba is a straight steerer. I haven't tried the giant, but I am very happy with the Superlight 29.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks - my Reba is tapered with 20mm maxle.
    Any flex in rear of Superlight and how does it pedal out of the saddle?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is also this - but no frame-only.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Trance X 29er frame is lighter and has a more advanced suspension design (IMO, Maestro is among the best designs at any price). It's a no-brainer in favor of the Trance....I've been shopping a lot for a new bike, and am likely to pull the trigger on a Trance X 29'er X0.

mtbr member
    the 2013 sl29 comes with a 120 mm fox fork in rxc just got 1 and think its a rather nice bike!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

TR
    Angry bunny
    You are comparing an apple and a supersonic jet IMO.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    Tallboy AL if you can find a way to swing it.. Anthem is more comparable to the superlight, but regardless, the anthem or the trance over the superlight. Much better suspension.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cheers - Tallboy al is too much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It depends on if you want pedal bob or no pedal bob.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

AZ
    banned
    The Trance X 29er is going to be hard to beat in pedaling performance in and out of the saddle imo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    hey when giving advice try to be more clear on what you are referencing, for the uninitiated like myself.

"You are comparing an apple and a supersonic jet IMO."

"It depends on if you want pedal bob or no pedal bob."

what bikes are you taking about?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    hey when giving advice try to be more clear on what you are referencing, for the uninitiated like myself.

"You are comparing an apple and a supersonic jet IMO."

"It depends on if you want pedal bob or no pedal bob."

what bikes are you taking about?
    SL is a single pivot and the pedaling platform is not near as stable as the Giant's maestro platform. The SC is a good bike but the Giant is a step or two above it in pedaling performace. I have a anthem x which has the same suspension as the trance and I never put it in pro pedal and I never get pedal bob. The suspension is night and day in favor of the Giant.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the explanation.

mtbr member
    I agree with utley06. Anthem and SL are more in the same ballpark and then Tallboy and Trance. I test rode all of them and I'd put it in this order.

Tallboy
    Trance X
    Anthem
    Superlight

Trance X is easily the best bang for your buck, but I preferred the Tallboy more. Worth the extra cost? That depends on who you ask (don't ask my wife).
    That creep can roll, man.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    SL is a single pivot and the pedaling platform is not near as stable as the Giant's maestro platform. The SC is a good bike but the Giant is a step or two above it in pedaling performace. I have a anthem x which has the same suspension as the trance and I never put it in pro pedal and I never get pedal bob. The suspension is night and day in favor of the Giant.
    Nope.
    I mean you are comparing an XC race bike to a trail bike.
    FWIW I would say my 26" SL was one of the best bikes I owned. I never locked out or used Pro Pedal on it either.

No idea why you would want to put a 120mm fork on it and then try to compare it with the Trance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No idea why you would want to put a 120mm fork on it and then try to compare it with the Trance
    er...because SC say you can spec it with 120mm fork and several reviews/reports talk about doing this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Nope.
    FWIW I would say my 26" SL was one of the best bikes I owned. I never locked out or used Pro Pedal on it either.

No idea why you would want to put a 120mm fork on it and then try to compare it with the Trance.
    What exactly are you noping on my post?

TRANCER
    Nope.

The Trance X29 is considered a trail bike but it can be a very effective XC race bike. As a race bike i am liking it better than the Anthem x 29. And the weights are not too different.
    Ride

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    Nope.

The SL is a fantastic bike and at a great value. If you're pedaling it around a parking lot you cannot effectively compare it to the Maestro suspension.

Both Santa Cruz's VPP design (Tallboy) and their single pivot design (Superlight) has greater pedaling efficient over the Maestro (Trance and Anthem).

This is the easiest way I can explain the three designs while keeping the amount of travel out of the equation.

VPP (tallboy) = better pedaling efficiency over the Maestro, however they equally go over technical terrain smoothly. The Maestro is probably a little more plush than the Tallboy. That can be a good thing or bad thing depending what you like.

Single Pivot (Superlight) = Better pedaling efficiency over the Maestro and almost equal to the Tallboy. However on more technical terrain the SL is not as smooth and it gets hung up on rocks easier.

If you're riding on 70 to 90 % smooth singletrack then the Superlight will be just fine

If you're riding on singletrack where you will be encountering lots of technical terrain then I would go with the VPP or Maestro design. I've had both and they are both absolutely amazing! I've demoed the Superlight here in Utah and it just could not compare to these on rougher trails here in Utah. I give the Tallboy the advantage over both bikes because I think you get the most pedaling efficiency and the best active suspension over technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by utley06 View Post
    Single Pivot (Superlight) = Better pedaling efficiency over the Maestro and almost equal to the Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by utley06 View Post
    Single Pivot (Superlight) = Better pedaling efficiency over the Maestro and almost equal to the Tallboy. However on more technical terrain the SL is not as smooth and it gets hung up on rocks easier.

If you're riding on 70 to 90 % smooth singletrack then the Superlight will be just fine.
    SP > Maestro for pedaling efficiency? Wow, you have a different perspective than just about everyone else who has ridden both. Also, a hardtail does just fine if riding on 70 to 90% smooth singletrack.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    I assumed a Maestro owner would get upset. I've rode Maestro for 8 years and I love it to death but it does bob a little, Trance more so than the Anthem.

I honestly think these debates are pointless. All 4 bikes mentioned are fantastic bikes.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    I'll also add that Giant totally copied Santa Cruz's Tallboy short chain stay design on the new Trance 29er.

mtbr member
    Giant may or may not be better but i know there is just a little bob on trail and none when the shock is in the climb position. I'm not a bicycle expert but i think the sl is very under rated by many on this board.
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast