Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Saw a chinese carbon 29er yesterday, nice...

I saw the guy leaving our trail and then saw him at a gas station we stopped at so I asked him about, the bike. Hand to god, I honestly though he had an all black S works stumpy hardtail, I asked him if he refinished the bike when he told me it was one of the chinese carbon frames off ebay he had read about on MTBR, $550 delivered.
    He was a good sized guy he said he has been beating on it for a while at 220# set-up with nice equipment as a single speed with Chub hubs. Very light with no issues, I think he said it was about 18#.
    He said he rides it hard on the same trails we ride on and its fast, rigid, and light. He rides allot, over 20 years, and has loads of bikes but described this one as his "Porsche" compared to the other rides.

I want one, it was hot. I convinced myself that this will be my reward if I hit my goal weight of 200# this year.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    good luck with goal! i'm considering one to replace my access frame in the future... but quite a while from now as the access frame is pretty new.

Its got what plants crave
    There is way too much hype surrounding the pros and cons of these asian carbon bikes. They work good and they damn good quality for the price you're paying. It's a hardtail for christ sakes. It has no moving parts whatsoever. I happen to like them and lots of people have had great experiences with them yet I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone chimes in this thread (with no real experience having purchased one) about how you can't trust anything made anywhere other than Americuh and that you're a communist if you even consider buying your parts from overseas. You don't want to be a pinko, DO YOU?

*puts away soap box*
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    The thing that struck me and my brother after we left was how similar it was to a stumpy s works, I find it very hard to believe this thing didn't come off the same production line. You could have slapped S work vinyl on it and resold it for $1,500, its that close.
    It was really a beautiful bike in all respects from the finish, weave, and gloss, to the geometry and curved top tube. For $550 its worth the gamble in my opinion.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

It's not even really a gamble, the ones that I have seen have been great quality, and for 550 dollars you should more than get your money worth. I'm not sure they're on par with the quality of the big brands, but they definitely make you think pretty hard about how much you're really paying for that sticker on the down tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    I'm not sure they're on par with the quality of the big brands, but they definitely make you think pretty hard about how much you're really paying for that sticker on the down tube.
    I wouldn't say that you're paying for the sticker. Unlike the guys who put the sticker on the frame, the Chinese guys didn't spend much time on R&D. They simply copied existing design. I am sure they still have like 1000% profit margin but just saying that the difference isn't just in the sticker.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    get the moto ti 29er and have no regrets. the chinese carbon is all good until it cracks.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Of course it's a dupe of the Specialized design and while I'm no fan of Specialized, Specialized did (at least some of) the R&D, does a bunch of high dollar marketing, sponsors racers and race teams (not to mention cycling as a sport) and stands behind their lifetime frame warranty.

I wouldn't hesitate to ride one of the Chinese knock-off's, but if it was my only rig, then I'd probably buy two identical frames, one to ride and one as my personal warranty frame.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Of course it's a dupe of the Specialized design and while I'm no fan of Specialized, Specialized did (at least some of) the R&D, does a bunch of high dollar marketing, sponsors racers and race teams (not to mention cycling as a sport) and stands behind their lifetime frame warranty.

Just because it LOOKS like a Specy, does not mean it is the same. What you see is the outside skin, With the lay up processes of carbon, it could be night and day difference underneath.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGrazing View Post
    get the moto ti 29er and have no regrets. the chinese carbon is all good until it cracks.
    I'm with you on that. I'm not sold yet on carbon for mountain use, chinese or otherwise. I push the limits too much and I can just see the thing landing on a rock during a crash and cracking. The weight savings and stiffness gain is calling me though...

But, I'm tickled pink with my china/ebay carbon road frame every time i get on it. Its such a massive step up from my last road frame (fuji roubaix). I can't believe I only paid $300 for it.

mtbr member
    Some are not even knock offs. They are the exact same frame with out the stickers. There are a lot of bikes made over seas for different manufactures on the same production line.

I used to hear a lot of people not sure about Giant, but they didn't have a problem buying a bike that was made by Giant because they didn't know where it was actually made.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman View Post
    I used to hear a lot of people not sure about Giant, but they didn't have a problem buying a bike that was made by Giant because they didn't know where it was actually made.
    I think you have it backwards. Giant is actually the largest manufacturer and they produce frames for Trek and a bunch of other well-known brands. For a while Giant was the only manufacturer that produced their carbon fiber giving them excellent quality control throughout the process.

Merida is another large manufacturer based out of Taiwan that makes frames for Specialized.

Here's a good article on this subject.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00gauge View Post
    I think you have it backwards. Giant is actually the largest manufacturer and they produce frames for Trek and a bunch of other well-known brands. For a while Giant was the only manufacturer that produced their carbon fiber giving them excellent quality control throughout the process.
    I was not stating anything different then that.

All I said is some people had issues thinking Giant was not a good brand and would turn around and buy a bike that is made by Giant, not knowing who actually makes it.

This was to go along with my statement that some manufactures make carbon frames for several different companies.

Trail Junkie
    I saw one the other day being built. The mech was a bit disgusted with it...not for the quality, not because it was bought from China, but because it would only accept a 2.1 and some narrow "2.2s". There isn't much clearance in the rear chainstays for some decent size tires. Then again, you can get away with a narrower tire in the rear if you don't spend a lot of time sitting in the saddle. Otherwise it looks very close to the SJ Carbon and the On-One Carbon.

sorry off subject but....
    I just hope it doesn't ride like the SJ carbon...I got on one on Sunday, and that frame is very very stiff! There was almost zero compliance or dampening in the frame. The whole back end felt like it was a roadbike on the trail...I had the PSI right, but man is that frame unforgiving.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Specialized stands behind their lifetime frame warranty.

Not from what I have seen. They denied a warranty on a friend of mine's SXT because they said it had been "jumped."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    Not from what I have seen. They denied a warranty on a friend of mine's SXT because they said it had been "jumped."
    How dare he jump a Freeride bike???

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    The mech was a bit disgusted with it...not for the quality, not because it was bought from China, but because it would only accept a 2.1 and some narrow "2.2s".
    That would be a deal breaker for me. I have ridden only a few borrowed hard tails and I felt seriously beat up afterwards. I can't imagine riding one without a seriously fat big-volume tire in the back.

Trail Junkie
    If it cleared my Ikon 2.2s I would be happy, but I am afraid it would be pretty tight.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    I got 2.2's in my ltbikes frame and its got huge amounts of room left...
    Last edited by emp?; 06-01-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: cant spell
    Josh

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emp? View Post
    I got 2.2's in my ltbikes frame and its go huge amounts of room left...

Pics?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    sorry off subject but....
    I just hope it doesn't ride like the SJ carbon...I got on one on Sunday, and that frame is very very stiff! There was almost zero compliance or dampening in the frame. The whole back end felt like it was a roadbike on the trail...I had the PSI right, but man is that frame unforgiving.
    That's how a carbon race frame rides....stiff.

mtbr member
    http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/31088...tbike?h=1f7579
    few photos of my build, just wanting on homebrew XX chainrings and Beer BB for it
    sorry for the crappy photos btw
    Last edited by emp?; 06-01-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Josh

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just curious why you call it a Chinese Carbon 29er......would you call a set of Mavics "French 29er wheels" or a set of Shimanos "Japanese Cranksets"

Sounds like these are from private label manufacturers, or at least "overseas" private label manufacturers.... Or "non North American" private label manufacturers.... Private label manufacturing is common in many other industries and that seems to be the issue here.

I'm having a hard time following ethnic connotations and so perhaps we move on from it....agree?

Mountain Lion Bait
    I don't care if Martians made it, I likey. Anyone got a link where one could be purchased?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Just curious why you call it a Chinese Carbon 29er......would you call a set of Mavics "French 29er wheels" or a set of Shimanos "Japanese Cranksets"
    "Open sourced molds with unknown if any destructive testing" might be more appropriate.

Seriously I'd be asking if these pass CE or EN testing folks. Great frame for the price though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast