mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Santa Cruz tallboy vs Pivot mach 429

I have narrowed my chooses between these two bikes tallboy aluminum xt package and pivot Mach 429.

Interested in feed back. Has anyone physically rode the two bikes back to back?

Thanks

Wannabe Endurance Racer
    I just demo'd both bikes this week. My current bike is a 26" Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Pro. I rode the Tallboy (med frame, Reba RL, Fox RP2) up and down Vail and Beaver Creek mountains two days apart. The Tallboy climbs well and is very stable. I was not a fan of the Reba fork as the lockout left a lot to be desired though that could have been due to poor set-up by bike shop. The geometry of the Tallboy was very comfortable for me. I'm 5'9" 190#. It was very easy to sit and pedal up the fire roads. I took Black Mamba down Vail and the Tallboy handled prettty well. Not as nimble and predictable as my Hi-Fi but I never felt out of control on this very sinewy, rocky trail. For the 11 mile ascent from Eagle-Vail to the top of Beaver Creek, the Tallboy again was a very nimble climber, rolling over the ruts, rocks, and loose gravel on the upper sections of The Beav. The descent down the fire road was nothing remarkable either way.

Today I rode the Pivot Mach 429 with the XTR/XTR Pro Build. From the first pedal crank, the response was like a road bike - I.e. instant acceleration. The Pivot is very stiff and all that you put into the pedals is translated to the wheels. Would have loved to take the Pivot up the Beav but time did not allow this luxury so I found a few short hills and mashed up them to get a feel for the stability and traction while sitting and standing. Both were excellent. I begrudgingly gave the bike back to the Pivot rep and drove off very impressed. At $5400 new, the price for the XTR/XT Pro Build is tough to swallow but if I had the funds readily available, it would be a no brainer for me.
    "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It depends on your weight. Both pedal well but the rear end on the Tallboy is a noodle compared to the Pivot. If your a featherweight it is not that big a deal. Around 200 lbls it is very noticable. J

mtbr member
    My tallboy felt like a noodle, then I learned how to tighten the pivot bearings. Mucho better, but it is not as stiff as my pivot 429 was.

mtbr member
    I rode them both two years ago. The TB impressed me more than I thought it would, but in the end, the Pivot simply impressed me. 2 years later and I'd buy another in a heartbeat if something happened to this one. It's an amazing bike.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Though I haven't ridden the pivot I was a bit taken back by the amount of pedal feedback on the TB. I was able to fix a large portion by tossing the RP23 for an RT3 but still wasn't happy with the VPP for that level of bike... My vote would be for the Pivot
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How about adding a Turner Sultan to that mix? Trying to make that decision now.

Trail Junkie
    I think the Tallboy Carbon is a better comparison to the Pivot Mach 429 simply because the price points match better. The carbon rides a lot better than the aluminum version..it has a lot more "snap" and willingness to go. I am assuming also that since you had the kit with the Reba RL and RP2..that it was a SLX/XT build...a bit different than comparing it to the XTR/XTR. The Carbon Tallboy also now comes with a 12x142 rear axle which I think it becoming heavily favored with the bigger wheel.

I own a Tallboy Carbon and love it, its been a very reliable bike, and SC's customer service is 1 on 1, and things get done. Their suspension hardware and bearings are very simply designed, easy to maintain, and come with a lifetime warranty. Very helpful when you accidentally over-torque a bolt and break the head off..had a new one plus extras to me a few days later at no charge.

There are a couple things that stand out in the frame geo. The 429 has a slacker head angle with 70deg, but 18" stays..where as the the Tallboy has a 71deg head angle and 17.5" stays. Those numbers are going to attribute the Tallboy being able to maneuver tight sections easier.

I have only had a chance to do a short ride on a 429 once, but familiar with the DW-L ride quality from the Ibis Mojo. Its a good suspension design..I won't take that away from it, and it works well. My thoughts that it rides well, but I was constantly compromising a solid out of the saddle platform that pedaled well and remained plush over stuff. I just couldn't find that sweet spot..but that was my experience. Also the Tallboy overall with the carbon was a lot smoother softer ride for me.
    Last edited by dubdryver; 07-11-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

official eMpTyBRain
    Flip a coin and buy the winner of your toss. They are both awesome frames. I've got a 429 and my buddy has a CF Tallboy. Both ride/perform very well. I haven't ridden his and he hasn't ridden mine, though.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I test rode a 429 and a TBC last year on back to back days . I rode the 429 first ,it rode nice and climbed well but it left me a bit uninspired. The TBC felt a lot more alive and more fun. By the way I heard rumors of a 429 carbon coming soon.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Had a 429. Got a TB. Sold the TB. Not a high mileage trail bike for a clyde but sweet ride. Back on a 429. Never should of left the Pivot fold. Best suspension IMO, stiffer, and freakin tough. One and a half pounds heavier than the TB with shock.

mtbr member
    I notice your tag is WFO922, did you have a WFO at 1 point? what happened?